It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teapartiers: What an outrage!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Teapartiers, you are letting us down. Day after day you claim that the central core values of your movement are liberty, respect of the constitution, as well as freedom and protection from an oppressive and intrusive government.

However, the most concrete and tangible infringement and obliteration of your supposed values is about to be put into law, and yet I hear nary a peep. No protests, no endless strings of 'government takeover' threads, nothing. In fact, many of the same posters who claim to love the constitution are voicing support for this 'abortion' of a law.

Of course, I am speaking of the law in Arizona that allows law enforcement to use a slippery determination of 'reasonableness' to determine whether they want to detain and demand proof of citizenship.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[The bill] also would require police to question people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're in the country illegally.

The governor of Arizona, Jan Brewer, will decide in the next few days whether to sign this nazi-like law into the books. I sure hope tea-partiers will be slamming her phone line in an effort to preserve liberty.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The bill would require that police officers ask for proof of citizenship should they suspect a person of being undocumented. In a single stroke of her pen Governor Brewer can set back her party even deeper into a demographic hole, transform her state into a national social pariah, and downgrade her political future to that of a speaker on the circuit forged by Tom Tancredo and Lou Dobbs. Is Brewer Tom Tancredo or is she Ronald Reagan? This week we shall find out.

Can you imagine if a similar bill was passed in Wisconsin w/ regards to Canada? How would you react if the government could harass and demand proof of citizenship if they determine that you reasonably appear Canadian??

Here is an issue that separates the true libertarian Ron Paul tea-partiers from the authoritarian Sarah Palin republican in sheep's clothing tea-baggers.

Let's see who is brave and principled enough to step up and defend their supposed principles (even when it's tough and goes against the republican game plan)....

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 4/20/2010 by skunknuts]

+23 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Its about time someone finally reinforced the law. Now if we can get some law enforcement men more like Sheriff Arpaio. He knows how to stand up to people who are against true reform.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
Its about time someone finally reinforced the law. Now if we can get some law enforcement men more like Sheriff Arpaio. He knows how to stand up to people who are against true reform.

I knew you would be one to choose 'law and order' George Wallace style, over liberty and the constitution.

Best,
Skunknuts

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

I knew you would be one to choose 'law and order' George Wallace style, over liberty and the constitution.

Best,
Skunknuts

Are we going to make this into another personal attack thread? Maybe I can mail you a constitution and the laws pertaining immigration even before this was signed. There is a reason why Sheriff Arpaio has been doing his job the way it should have been done by our federal authoritative bodies.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

If the feds enforced their own laws regarding illegals, Arizona wouldnt even have to go this route. The fact is we are being overrun by illegals and the feds do little to nothing to enforce their own laws regarding this.

Where I live the Sheriff tries to deport every illegal he arrests. He gets no support at all from the Feds.

Plus, we get asked for ID all the time in this country. Doesnt the cop ask you for your license when you get pulled over for speeding? Is that unconstitutional?

When you go get a job do they not ask you for your id and social security number? Is that unconstitutional?

I think we should all have to carry proof of citizenship and anytime we are stopped, get a job, or go for government services we should have to show them.

That way there is no racial profiling. It is just straight up the same for everyone.

+23 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
An illegal alien does not have any rights under the constitution,the tea party people are against illegal immigration with an emphasis on the illegal part.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
How exactly are they going to determine who to ask about their immigration status? By appearance? That'll never work. Not all illegal immigrants are from Mexico, nor do they all look like they are. There are plenty of people who are of hispanic descent who were born here or immigrated legally as well. Talk about a sure-fire way to tick some people off. I don't see any reasonable way they could go about enforcing this without forcing Americans to prove they are American.

I'm appalled that they might actually demand to see an Americans 'papers' as it were to prove they're truly American and I don't see this going any other direction. There's no way they can do this without it turning very ugly, very fast. I hope I never live to see the day when I'm asked to show anything to prove I'm an American and am here legally.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chicken_Bone

I think we should all have to carry proof of citizenship and anytime we are stopped, get a job, or go for government services we should have to show them.

That way there is no racial profiling. It is just straight up the same for everyone.

Thank you for your response. It's fine. It just means you are more of an authoritarian than a constitution-loving libertarian. Keep that in mind so you don't sound hypocritical when discussing other issues.

Best,
Skunknuts

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
So what, let them ask me for my papers. I would gladly oblige. How do you think people are screened at airports now? This political correctness thing has gone too far. If you aren't going to ask people about their ID's then why give them out in the first place.

Safeguards that were put in place to identify us as citizens need to be followed up on. I am a LEGAL immigrant, I came the LEGAL way. I am tired of all the ILLEGAL immigrants no matter what country they might be from. They leeching away from my hard earned tax dollars that should be going to benefit me and my fellow LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Get with the program or GET OUT.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Teapartiers don't care about other people's liberties, they just care about making noise about things they have no solutions to. They protest against taxes in public funded parks for christ sake.

The problem I have with this is people will stand up for it because they don't like illegals but it is a clear violation of peoples rights. Just because you look like your from here you too could be detained temporarily, also meaning taken into holding for a short period of time, till all your papers check out. That can happen to anyone with an accent.

Arizona has been passing some weird things lately, I don't know whats going on down there all of a sudden but I'm staying away.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
I'm appalled that they might actually demand to see an Americans 'papers' as it were to prove they're truly American and I don't see this going any other direction. There's no way they can do this without it turning very ugly, very fast. I hope I never live to see the day when I'm asked to show anything to prove I'm an American and am here legally.

That, ladies and gentlemen, sounds like a quote from a TRUE American loving citizen that values their liberty. Funny how people are so willing to compromise their SUPPOSED values. How un-american.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
I'm appalled that they might actually demand to see an Americans 'papers' as it were to prove they're truly American and I don't see this going any other direction.

geez, u act like this is the gestapo or something.

Showing one's Driver's License or Social Security Card
or an approved State ID card would work to prove citizenship.
Plus, u have to do this very same thing in a traffic
stop anyway.

It doesn't have to be a birth certificate or a passport.
I think ur over-reacting a tad. A birth certificate or passport
would only be needed if they cannot provide any of the
other documents.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
What's the problem? Why is the Tea Party's job to protest, what they do do to non-American illegal aliens? They are protesting for American liberty. Mexico can have their own Tea Party rally's, to express outrage for Arizona finally enforcing a law. So now should the Tea Party movement now go on the offensive for all illegal's now too, the last time I checked they we're all Americans. I respect all those who have come here legally, but those who haven't... I don't care if they get detained,

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy
Teapartiers don't care about other people's liberties, they just care about making noise about things they have no solutions to. They protest against taxes in public funded parks for christ sake.

did u know that the Republican Party partially funds
the Tea Party ??? The tea party was created to offset
Democratic Party Majority in the future.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
Why is the Tea Party's job to protest,

it pulls the far left and right ideals
into the Republican ideology.

I'm not a Tea Party affiliate
and I approve of this message

hahaha

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
What's the problem? Why is the Tea Party's job to protest, what they do do to non-American illegal aliens? They are protesting for American liberty. Mexico can have their own Tea Party rally's, to express outrage for Arizona finally enforcing a law. So now should the Tea Party movement now go on the offensive for all illegal's now too, the last time I checked they we're all Americans. I respect all those who have come here legally, but those who haven't... I don't care if they get detained,

Don't you see that is not the issue.

The issue is the MANDATE for law-enforcement to INTRUDE into the lives of CITIZENS who APPEAR to POSSIBLY be illegal.

That is ok with SUPPOSED liberty lovers?

You gotta be kidding!

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Skunknuts... love the name by the way.

Is it or is it not totally constitutional for a police officer to ask for my ID when I am pulled over or arrested?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I am tired of all the ILLEGAL immigrants no matter what country they might be from.

As am I, but this isn't the right way to go about enforcing our laws. What we'll end up with is a bunch of people who were born here being detained to prove they actually are here legally. That's just not right.

Originally posted by VintageEnvy

I'm a tea party supporter, and I just disproved your claim. As for the protests, cities have laws dictating where you can hold a protest and where you can't. Would you prefer the tea party's break laws to hold their protests?

That, ladies and gentlemen, sounds like a quote from a TRUE American loving citizen that values their liberty.

I'm nothing if not consistent.

Originally posted by boondock-saint
Plus, u have to do this very same thing in a traffic
stop anyway.

Really? You're asked to prove citizenship if you're pulled over for speeding? I've never been asked to prove it. They ask for my license to make sure I don't have any warrents, unpaid tickets, and that it's a valid license, but not to validate my citizenship.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chicken_Bone

Skunknuts... love the name by the way.

Is it or is it not totally constitutional for a police officer to ask for my ID when I am pulled over or arrested?

If you have done something illegal, then I believe so, yes. 'Appearing' to 'possibly' be illegal, now that IS a slippery slope....No?

Best,
Skunknuts

P.S. I have a black and white Maine Coon that a friend called 'skunk,' and the name stuck. I also play lots of poker and enjoy having 'the nuts.' Hence, my name, lol.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Can you imagine if a similar bill was passed in Wisconsin w/ regards to Canada? How would you react if the government could harass and demand proof of citizenship if they determine that you reasonably appear Canadian??

[edit on 4/20/2010 by skunknuts]

The last time I checked, Canadians weren't sneaking across the border and killing ranchers in Wyoming or Montana... the same can't be said for AZ. I realize that the measures being considered right now in that corner of the country are considered draconian to some, but at one who used to live in that neck of the woods I can tell you for a fact that the problem is only going to get worse and no amount of crying by the left will change that.

Besides, it's not that difficult to figure out who would be targeted by law enforcement for citizenship verification - if you get pulled over, you barely speak a lick of English and you have no documentation at all as to who you are or what country you're a citizen of, chances are you're getting locked up. It's not that outrageous of a demand.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join