It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercury surprise: Rice can be risky

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Mercury surprise: Rice can be risky

www.sciencenews.org

Ask toxicologists how best to avoid mercury poisoning and they’ll almost certainly advise against eating too much of the wrong types of fish. (Never mind that there’s considerable confusion about what the wrong types are.) But a new study out of China shows that for millions of people at risk of eating toxic amounts of mercury-laced food, fish isn’t the problem. Rice is.

A team of Chinese and Norwegian researchers investigated dietary mercury contamination in rural, inland China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.enn.com

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This article is interesting and brings new aspects to what other "foods" may be contaminated that we yet have not discovered or herd of. What came to my mind on reading this was the fact that USA provides food like (rice) to countries that don't have much to eat on. For example, the U.S. Government provides assistance to 47 countries in Africa.
SOURCE: www.usaid.gov...

If you took the time to think; what if USA bought rice from Guizhou province in China then exported it to Africa. Having provided that example, one comes to wonder if more children are actually dieing from mercury contamination and not HIV. What are your suggestions and comments ats forums?

www.sciencenews.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-4-2010 by millicake]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
why did you make two posts? You couldn't have fit all your thoughts on one post?

Anyways, this is scary stuff. I do not eat fish and love rice. Mercury in food scares the hell out of me and there is one obvious cause for this.. POLLUTION!

People love to put down hippies and such but if we continue polluting the way we are our food is in danger, obviously it already is. We need to change the way we look at our world and how we live in it or our children are screwed.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The world has become every increasingly polluted post WWII. Look at our own country here in the USA........we are still suffering the devastating effects of testing atomic weapons and storing nuclear waste. That doesn't take into account all the other sources of pollution i.e. ground water run off, fertilizers and farming, sewage etc. They just found a dead whale in Puget sound with a soccer ball, pair of pants, golf ball in its stomach. The amount of toxic pollution caused by the military is in itself a great tragedy.

And we wonder why there is so much cancer and why its on the rise. Look at all the breast cancer and how prevalent it is nowadays. Well no wonder......women use more toxic crap in their hair, on their skin/faces, etc. than anyone. You don't think that builds up or affects the body in some way? Oh but wait.......there's always some other culprit the medical and scientific community loves to point to.

I just found out how toxic triclosan is. It's a very popular ingredient that is in all our antibacterial soaps. It's used in Provon at my hospital and as an RN I used it probably 20 times a shift or more. Oh but our hospital would never use a toxic substance? It's been banned in some countries and a few Senators are trying to get it banned in the US. The FDA has been doing trials on triclosan for 38 years and has not come to a consensus yet or finished the trials.

Every piece of food I put into my body comes straight from local farms and is organic. I know exactly where my milk and beef and eggs come from. And at this point those are about the only things I need to eat and stay strong and healthy.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
why did you make two posts? You couldn't have fit all your thoughts on one post?

Ironically the forum post for the news article decided to have two minds of it's own.

if we continue polluting the way we are our food is in danger, obviously it already is. We need to change the way we look at our world and how we live in it or our children are screwed.

I agree with your statement. The article continues to suggest:

Methylmercury poisoning has been linked with diminishing the IQ of children exposed in the womb and with raising blood pressure and other heart-disease risks among adults.

SOURCE: www.sciencenews.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The Story Behind The News

It's the way the ATS News submission scripts work.

They create a news post that contains a snippet and link to the original article. The second post is for comments from the member who submitted the article.

The separate posts help distinguish the original source from opinions.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

The first part of a post in the breaking news section is always the article/news story. The 2nd part is the OPs thoughts/comment on the subject. If you read every thread in this section you'll see that's the way it's done. See for yourself.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit -> Majic beat me to it

[edit on 20-4-2010 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
The Story Behind The News

It's the way the ATS News submission scripts work.

They create a news post that contains a snippet and link to the original article. The second post is for comments from the member who submitted the article.

The separate posts help distinguish the original source from opinions.

cool thanks, i was curious about this. I thought people were doing it to get their post count up or something!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Mercury in foods is pretty disturbing.

I never knew how bad it was until I got my cat from the shelter. Among the things they made me agree to was to never feed the cat tinned tuna. Apparently the amounts are just far too high for such a small animal.

That lead me to look into it a little more, and I found that at the time the advice for humans was to not have more than one portion of tuna a week.

I just don't eat any of it now.

It will be a real problem if rice gets that toxic too, so many people in the world depend on rice.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yeah the Mercury in fish is pretty crazy. Everyone should watch "the cove" too find out more about how pollution is effecting not only humans but other animals. The amount of mercury in the dolphins is shocking, and the japanese were trying to feed dolphin meat in school cafeterias.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ok, can someone tell me what is not toxic? Fish is toxic, rice is toxic, and all the meats we eat are toxic. What is not toxic? Can we actually have a diet that is actually healthy? Most likely the vitamins and supplements people have are probably toxic to.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Isn't Mercury a metal(liquid)? I know this probably sounds silly, but I am curious anyhow, can some type of super magnet be used to extract metals from food? Wouldn't that be cool to have a culinary magnet in your kitchen that when you pass food over/through it, all the metals would be removed? Just wondering......

I used to get upset thinking all the mercury was a result of humans and industry, only to find out it occurs naturally as well, in pockets all throughout the environment. Seems like there is too much out there to avoid it's effect. Oh well, more motivation to move towards self sustainment I guess....peace

[edit on 20-4-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Not all metals are magnetic, I think it's actually a very low number of them that are, except very rare ones.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Emperor Shi Huangdi, First Emperor of China, had a burial tomb, inside of which was a pool of mercury. He probably used it as a means of control. Mercury is still in TCM products all over the world. And why mercury phosphor fluorescent bulbs? A bulb can contaminate 600 gallons of water easily. If you don't think modern governments might intentionally pull mercury poisoning out of Shi Huangdi's playbook, then you must not believe history repeats itself either.

Today, mercury pollution is popular culture.

Case in point: CZW "Tube matches"

Warning: Extremely Bloody.
CZW TOD VIII- Nick Gage Accident

[edit on 20-4-2010 by elusive1]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Ahhh, thank you! Learned something again here at ATS!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by elusive1
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Emperor Shi Huangdi, First Emperor of China, had a burial tomb, inside of which was a pool of mercury. He probably used it as a means of control. Mercury is still in TCM products all over the world. And why mercury phosphor fluorescent bulbs? A bulb can contaminate 600 gallons of water easily. If you don't think modoern governments might intentionally pull mercury poisoning out of Shi Huangdi's playbook, then you must not believe history repeats itself either.

Today, mercury pollution is popular culture.

Case in point: CZW "Tube matches"

CZW TOD VIII- Nick Gage Accident

Dude, did you really have to post that video? Atleast give a warning or something.

Incase anyone else cares, it's a video of two backyard wrestlers bloodied up and one is thrown into a bunch of tubes of light and he severly cuts an artery, so the description said. I wasn't expecting that and i feel nauseous now.. jeez

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Warning added.

Mercury poisoning is serious business. Guys participating in tube matches are setting a terrible example not treating a tube like a hazmat site. And those aren't backyard wrestlers, they are professional hardcore wrestlers. I said popular culture, because tube matches are a whole genre, not some isolated backyard one-promotion thing.

Mercury is still on shelves in the form of HFCS, and it's not less toxic to the nerve endings. If you don't want your kids to get mercury poisoning, you have to address the issue head on. If that means rebuking the glaring instances of popular mercury ignorance, and if it takes seeing a few second tube match clip to grasp the insanity, then so be it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by elusive1

i think he was advised it would make him immortal i read he also consumed it in high volumes for the same reason. oops

edit to add my uncle had mercury poisoning from the soap industry. it moves around the body inhibiting whatever it gets near.he always looked old and worn out as far as i remember. its as bad as cancer a horrid disease. not sure how much you need to get this reaction but its quite abit also it gose straght through the skin so don`t touch it

[edit on 20/4/10 by Aceofclubs]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aceofclubs

Shi Huangdi had numerous body doubles. He was so paranoid he was going to be poisoned or assassinated, he had body doubles in his own house so none of his imperial staff knew which room he was actually in. His death was just as fabricated. No proof that the emperor died was given. It was likely just the body of one of his doubles. He was confident his empire would last for thousands of years after he died. And although his empire "fell apart", the confidence he expressed that mercury was somehow beneficial to health remained, and TCM carries on Shi Huangdi's legacy of mercury poisoning. Believe what you want to believe. Shi Huangdi's death was faked in my humble opinion. His body was far too rotten to be recognized by the time his eunuchs spilled the beans that he was dead and the rest of the imperial staff got to look at the body. That's the fact.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by elusive1

nice take on it. i thought he was so decomposed because his men beleved it would ruin the empire so thay carried him around in his carrage pretending all was fine for as long as pos even pulling fish carts ether side to hide the smell

but mabey thats the cover storie

i got to say it does look magic compared to any other substance though easy to think its something good

edit to add the guys in the vid have way bigger probs than poisoning

[edit on 20/4/10 by Aceofclubs]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join