It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pearly white teeth, conspiracy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why are people expected to have unrealistically white teeth? And how do they get their teeth so pearly white?

People from the UK seem to get mocked by people in the USA at times about their teeth not being as pearly white, but maybe this is really somewhere that the UK is better?

According to this chart, the UK has less water fluoridation:

en.wikipedia.org...:Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg

Perhaps also, the people in the UK are not such suckers for advertising and mainstream media that preaches these goals. Trying to keep a good appearance is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it's damaging when taken too far. An example I would give is all the cases of Anorexia/Bulimia. Many people argue that a serious percentage of that is caused by these unrealistic images we are force fed.

Could this be part of something more sinister, perhaps people want to push this ideal onto us in order to encourage more use of fluoride toothpaste, and to make people more passive about the idea of chemicals in the water. We know that it can be damaging, from the AMA saying that it should not be given to babies, to certain groups using large amounts of it to cause docility.

I don't feel the need to have pearly white teeth. I am happy to have just plain old clean, healthy teeth. I've always brushed my teeth a couple of times a day, for the most part with fairly natural toothpaste products. I'm 30 years old now, and have never had any fillings or other dental work done, and my slightly dull teeth have never caused me any issues in other areas such as dating before I met my wife.

Why can't people be happy with a more 'natural' appearance? I understand it's not totally natural anymore, even the way I clean my teeth, but the advances I have accepted are more about hygeine than looks. That's far more important.

Why do people force these unrealistic images onto people?

edited to fix URL

[edit on 20/4/2010 by harpsounds]

edit2 ats still won't work with my link, it's on this page:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Some people find a nice smile attractive. A nice smile can't have rotting, yellow teeth in in.

Comes down to personal preference and what some cultures find attractive i guess.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Maybe people in the UK just don't brush their teeth as well as American's.

Flouridated water has very little to do with pearly white's, that in itself is another conspiracy sold to Americans.

I will say that Americans do tend to take better care of their teeth.

As far as Image goes... it really depends how well you want to take care of yourself. Teeth I think has more to do with personal hygene

[edit on 4/20/2010 by FoxStriker]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yellow teeth are genetic. I got my yellow teeth from my English ancestry and smoking. I like them better than white ones. I am odd.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Unnaturally white teeth deeply disturb me, especially when it is combined with perfectly straight teeth. It makes me think the person is fake and egotistical.

I personally have a normal color of teeth, and a few chips here and there, but I love them, they are a part of me. For me, nothing is sexier than a girl with slightly crooked teeth. It gives a person's teeth some personality. Know what I mean? Can't stand it when someone is blinding everyone with their severely white teeth. I like good dental hygiene of course, but it's just there is a point where teeth can be too white or too unnaturally straight.

Please other people back me up here.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker
Some people find a nice smile attractive. A nice smile can't have rotting, yellow teeth in in.

Comes down to personal preference and what some cultures find attractive i guess.

Rotting and yellow is very different to what I'm talking about as the more natural appearance. That implies someone took no care at all of their teeth.

I'm talking about just regular plain healthy teeth versus super white fake teeth.

People got on just fine before all this fakeness and found partners who found them attractive, even back in the days of _really_ bad teeth. Why have many people changed so that even perfectly normal healthy teeth are seen as bad?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Like i said, personal preference. Some people like really white teeth.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What really bothers me is the extent some to which some people will go in order to have that "Movie Star" smile. I have read that there are procedures out there that actually do more damage than good to the enamel of teeth. At the same time though, just as with physical appearance, most would think that anyone that has yellow or stained teeth are not healthy, and therefore judge in that respect of appearance.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

this is why i make my own toothpaste..peroxide and baking soda...flouride and perservatives, sweetners all bad for your teeth in long run and your overall health!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I have no idea, but if you have the money I suppose people visit the dentist for regular laser whitening treatment.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I used to work in the dental industry and can tell you that no natural teeth are pure white. They can be as clean and as healthy as you like but they are all different shades of yellow. We live in a celebrity obsessed culture that demands perfection. Unfortunately perfection to alot of people is not natural. You just have to look at models and celebrities in glossy magazines.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Wow, some people can have almost translucent teeth from using those whitening strips too much! I often wonder the consequences of too much whitening, besides sensitivity.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I live in the US and have "pearly whites," perfectly straight teeth, and and adjusted jaw position so that I don't have an overbite.

So, besides cleaning and whitening, i spent years in braces, with a bionator (not a retainer) and head gear.

I don't feel like there was pressure to do this, so I don't really get the OP. I have mixed feelings about it...glad my bite was adjusted and some teeth had to be straightened or they'd have to be pulled. My are more less white, but not a big deal to me. It all cost a lot of money. And, fluoride didn't seem to help me at all.

When I think of Europe in general, I think of crooked teeth. There are many orthodontists in the states.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Unnaturally white teeth deeply disturb me, especially when it is combined with perfectly straight teeth. It makes me think the person is fake and egotistical.

I was blessed to be born with both. I never wore braces on my teeth, yet all my siblings had to. People ask me all the time if I have had a lot of dental work done, which I find quite disturbing!

Everyone is different, and not everyone with a brilliant smile has had to pay for it!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Because we're all hopeless suckers! I do like the bright whites, but have noticed how it's become a "must".

Hollywood started it. When all the celebrities started flashing blinding white teeth, the public soon followed. But some of them are so white, they look ridiculous in some cases. And all these veneers, and whatever they put over your natural teeth. Bright white piano keys.

But they do look good. I have the whiting done, as well. Sigh. But they do feel better and certainly look better.

One thing about the fluoride..... I wanted to mention. I completely stopped the fluoride for about a year. Didn't even use tap water to make coffee and tea....And, during that year I developed a cavity. First one I've had in years.

But I've started again to use tap water for coffee and tea. (But that's all, I don't actually drink it raw, lol). We probably have too much fluoride in the water where I live. Well, I know we do.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
When I think of Europe in general, I think of crooked teeth. There are many orthodontists in the states.

I don't know if it's more historical or not? I live in quite a small town and we have two orthodontists offices, and many people at school had braces, under the NHS they don't have to pay either, so I'd expect it to be even more prevalent in the UK. I don't have any hard facts, but in my town at least it seems easy for people to get free access to dentists and orthodontists.

I don't think I'm so against orthodontal work, as from what I understand it can save a lot of troubles later in life with wisdom teeth and jaw problems, and things like that.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

I believe there is a big difference in with regard to your situation. There is nothing wrong with corrective surgery and the like, however, I do believe most of the teeth whitening craze is cosmetic in nature.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm here in the USA.
No mockery from me.
Peace out

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I bleach mine with trays.

But this is more of conforming to society I guess than anything since the other option isn't as attractive. If you have to market yourself to others IMO it is something that can't hurt. And IMO it does look better. But this is all opinion, just like your statement.

I mean why do people dress nice when they go out and not look like total slobs? I like looking like a slob so everyone must be in on it...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Actually it's funny when I think about it now...not sure how I ever arrived at linking crooked teeth with Europeans.

I used to believe in Santa Claus...still wish it was true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join