It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do any of you... And I mean any of you...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is more of a psychological area than it is 'survivalism' in terms of what this forum is for.

However, this is actually a very real study. It's done as a healing process for those with self destructive behavioral tendencies. This is actually huge for those who suffer from it.

We've all heard the expression 'be your own best friend.' It's along those lines.

One of the more common methods of self destruction prevention is to visualize yourself as an infant or small child. Some even carry photos of themselves as children to make it easier. Along with the 'own best friend' advice, the advice then becomes 'be your own protector.'

In other words, you'd never let a bad thing happen to that child. So envision your inner self as that helpless child who needs your adult self to intervene and make the right choices for them.

That's just one popular method. There's actually a very deep study about this. It's pretty fascinating when you get to the nitty gritty. This is actually an interesting topic, IMO.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Thank you - it would have been more interesting had the OP made some attempt to explain, and had the thread not been immediately derailed.

Also, to the person trying to be clever with Delta, Uniform stuff, you might want to try sticking a bravo on the end of your mike
That's called irony.

I don't know how much this thread applies to me or how much I apply to this thread. Other than several attempts to 'go home', as it were, I am not self-destructive; but neither do I nurture my inner child or...stuff.

Perhaps the OP could come back and explain how this applies to us...?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Self-destruction In My Opinion, is bred into most of us. Society, our artificial lifestyle, too much Gov control, Evil entity,I don't know exactly why self-destruction easily breeds in people. I have seen it all my life, it used to be a great puzzle to me.
I believe the answer is self-discipline. We are being conditioned to have none. Self-discipline is enjoyable for some. When you reap the rewards of training your mind and life gets smoother and easier, you feel good. It eliminates fears. It creates calm.
And it takes years. But, one day at a time, it works.
Some philosophies call it calming the monkeys. Some call it nirvana. Some call it martial training or following the book.
But anyone can do it, one day at a time, and I think if we supported each other in Not Destroying our precious gifts, we would have a different world.
There is too much praise, admiration, laughter, and conditioning out there encouraging self-hate and hate of others, think if every skull you saw was a flower, if every sitcom laughter was at a couple dancing or singing together. If every reality show had the chef or the judge saying, "great job, great progress !" What if kids played cooking, not cops ?
We are conditioned to hurt ourselves. If we support each other, we can get out of it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My friend I always tried but once that peice of time comes around the corner there is nothing but fate. To try to not I learned only creates the paradox of trying to not have it happen in the first place. Fate is our master and the world is our maze. In other world just try to be without fear, there is enough of it in the world.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tormentations
...think to protect yourself from youself?

Like protect yourself from you making future mistakes? Like protect yourself from bad health by making it a point not to eat certain food products? Like protect yourself from having a break down, be it mental or financial? Like protect yourself from certain not so wise urges you get? Like protect yourself from having to be accountable to do jail time? Like protect yourself from coming across as some type of coward? Like protect yourself from accidentally blasting yourself when handling a firearm or even a firecracker? Like protect yourself from turning out to be just a fool? Etc.

How do you go about protecting yourself from what is all you or what would be all on you? How do you go about protecting yourself from a bad reckoning only you'd be responsible because of? Like what measures or train of thought do you have in place to bypass F'ing things up because of yourself?

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Tormentations]

You will never be able to prevent bad sh*t from happening in your life (God knows I’ve seen my share of hard times) but you push through it and hopefully come out the other side wiser from it.
Lets face it utopia sounds like a pretty boring place to me, living life is all about taking risks.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by murfdog]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tormentations
...think to protect yourself from youself?

Like protect yourself from you making future mistakes? Like protect yourself from bad health by making it a point not to eat certain food products? Like protect yourself from having a break down, be it mental or financial? Like protect yourself from certain not so wise urges you get? Like protect yourself from having to be accountable to do jail time? Like protect yourself from coming across as some type of coward? Like protect yourself from accidentally blasting yourself when handling a firearm or even a firecracker? Like protect yourself from turning out to be just a fool? Etc.

How do you go about protecting yourself from what is all you or what would be all on you? How do you go about protecting yourself from a bad reckoning only you'd be responsible because of? Like what measures or train of thought do you have in place to bypass F'ing things up because of yourself?

I would suggest that before you make a decision and act on it....that you think about the possible outcomes of your actions. If I do "x" what will be the results? There can be more than one possibility. How will you deal with the outcome of each of those possibilities?

Also before acting on something, "sleep on it". Give yourself time to mull it over. Maybe even talk with a friend. You can make it hypothetical. "Hey what do you think would happen if I did "x"?" Your friend may even think of possibilities that you overlooked or did not consider.

Think things through to their possible outcomes before you make the decision. Rational thinking is your best protection.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Too bad Tormentations has chosen to push the ignore button on me.

I believe what the question is in the OP can be boiled down to this.....

Are you an adult? and... Have you learned anything yet that will help you live longer?

I have read Tormentations past threads, they are just as worthwhile as this one.

Call me a troll if you like, but this was a waste of time, IMO.
Just like his previous threads, IMO.

It would be nice if he had to put 'be prepared to waste your time' in all of his thread titles from this time forward.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

I don't smoke. Not out of fear of cancer, rather to protect myself from the weak lungs it can give you. My genes go both ways on that. One grandma died from lung cancer. The other smoked like a chimney up until the point she had a stroke, after that she quit. But it had been at least 25 years of smoking, and she was healther than some people are when their 15, and most of us could only hope to be her health @ 75.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's OK,

I wear a condom when I handle my firearms.

So, I'm protected

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Wildbob77]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I only pretect myself from my less ANGELIC HALF LOL. And I do so by maintaining a ositive outlook most of the time except when I wanna let it out for a stretch..For there will be a time to let that side of me run loose and now isnt it.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
For me its easy to keep my cool..
see if I get carried away... my wife beats me...
Just kidding... my daughter beats me, with help from my granddaughter.

You should have asked who protects us from annoyed ladies???

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This thread asks intelligent rhetorical questions to meditate on (not similar to the April 25 thing). People have been too quick to judge.

Just be conscious in everything you do.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I believe in the Darwin theory so those who feel the need to protect themselves from themselves should let this theory run full course....

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Like protect yourself from turning out to be just a fool? Etc.

Do you really think you have control over this. There is no one on this
planet that can't be played for a fool. We are all fools at one time or another.
Don't you think protecting yourself from going to HELL should've been
No.1 on that little list you got go'in on there ?

This is more of a psychological area than it is 'survivalism' in terms of what this forum is for.

However, this is actually a very real study. It's done as a healing process for those with self destructive behavioral tendencies. This is actually huge for those who suffer from it.

We've all heard the expression 'be your own best friend.' It's along those lines.

One of the more common methods of self destruction prevention is to visualize yourself as an infant or small child. Some even carry photos of themselves as children to make it easier. Along with the 'own best friend' advice, the advice then becomes 'be your own protector.'

In other words, you'd never let a bad thing happen to that child. So envision your inner self as that helpless child who needs your adult self to intervene and make the right choices for them.

That's just one popular method. There's actually a very deep study about this. It's pretty fascinating when you get to the nitty gritty. This is actually an interesting topic, IMO.

Looks like AshleyD's got you.re back OP. Why didn't he say that?

edit to revise.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by randyvs]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join