It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, check this out...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I was not sure where to put this. Mods please move if appropriate.

So I recently purchased a go-kart. It is a little 5hp lawnmower engine on a nice frame.
I was tuning it at our local park and I got a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle. The fine is $159.50.

Now, here is the issue. How can one get a ticket for an unregistered vehicle when said vehicle is not even a registrable vehicle? The issuing officer was from our local PD and now I understand he is the actual chief. I asked him how he could give me a ticket for an unregistered vehicle I was driving in an open parking lot. The lot is at our local park and way off the beaten path where no one even goes. The kart was not even running, nor was I in it when the cop pulled up.

Can you say raising money for the local municipality? This is unreal and I have never received anything like this before. My go kart is technically an ATV and you are unable to register an ATV for road use. My court date is 5/25 as I have already been to the local court and plead not guilty.

I am a little pissed off right now and not thinking 100% straight. I think I covered everything. Anybody have any similar experience to this? If so, please relate. If anyone has any advice for my court date please advise. My personal thought is the Judge will laugh and dismiss it because the whole thing is ridiculous at best.

Thanks all.

Nate

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Laws differ state to state. In New York ATV's and i presume Go-Karts can and have to be registered.

Take a look at your local DMV laws before blaming the police.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
argue it.
do not pay it.

stay not guilty.

do not pay it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
argue it.
do not pay it.

stay not guilty.

do not pay it.

Well if he is indeed wrong, they can actually raise his fine for wasting the courts time. Find out everything you can before you make any final decisions.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I checked out PENDOT's website, and checked the rules on registration of vehicles, and I couldn't find anything close to go-kart's or ATV usage. I did see a section on Golf Cart usage, but it only pertains to a golf course.

Here is their website: www.dmv.state.pa.us...

Like I said, I don't see anything specifically pertaining to gokarts or even ATV's although you could make a claim that it is for agricultural use, but then again, you need to be within 1 mile of your farm if on a public road, and it needs to be mostly used for farm use only. That's the best I can do for you. Good luck for your case. I have a feeling, however, that you might just have to eat the cost and use it as a learning experience.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was actually checking the PenDot website as well, probably about the same time you were posting the link. I will look more in depth tonight but I see nothing regarding ATVs as well.

I know they will not let you register an ATV for road use. I was not even on the road. I was in a parking lot and a field.

4 cops showed up as well. It is a small town and they have nothing better to do. I was at the court pleading not guilty before the ticket was even entered into the system. The lady at the local court told me to come back in a few days and I told her no. I told her to enter the ticket with my plea now and she kindly obliged. If I do get found guilty, I am going to push the issue even further. I will put a windshield, headlights, brake lights and turn signals on it and make them register it as a roadworthy vehicle. Basically what they check for PA state inspections. I am going to have some fun with this one.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Is it really wise to tick off your local police officers in a small town?

The ticket should include the specific charge, so you could research the wording of that statute, and see where you stand.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Is it really wise to tick off your local police officers in a small town?

The ticket should include the specific charge, so you could research the wording of that statute, and see where you stand.

Don't care...
Stupid is stupid.

I know the state rep from an issue I had with the local DMV office where he stepped in. Already emailed him

The charge is "unregistered vehicle"
Under vehicle description it says "Go cart-red"

It says nothing else. Hell, a bicycle is an unregistered vehicle and you can get a DUI on those suckers. I was not drinking or even being reckless in anyway.

4 cops showed all in separate vehicles. Seriously? Shows me we have to many cops and they are all getting paid to do nothing...except show up on the scene of a guy riding an unregistered go-kart in the local park parking lot (and field next to the lot)
I am not some local yokel around here for any of them to take advantage of and I am going to prove that I am not going to roll over and take their BS.

Simple and stupid problem?
Yes, but it's the principle of the whole thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i see your point i have looked up the charge and since you have no head light turn singal brake lights or anything else and you werent on a state road then in my honest opionon they cant charge you with the fine so fight it with all the evidence you can gather and you will need evidence to back your claim in court and good luck and let us know what happens

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Alas, we will have to wait for 5/25 for the court date, but I will update status following the court date.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

4 cops showed all in separate vehicles. Seriously? Shows me we have to many cops and they are all getting paid to do nothing...except show up on the scene of a guy riding an unregistered go-kart in the local park parking lot (and field next to the lot) I am not some local yokel around here for any of them to take advantage of and I am going to prove that I am not going to roll over and take their BS. Simple and stupid problem? Yes, but it's the principle of the whole thing.

Seriously- Four vehicles, for a go cart.....waaay to much time on their hands I think

If I were in your position, I would also plead not guilty, and if found guilty I would take it further....I've done this in different situations in the past just to prove a point - that I was innocent. Not gonna get into that here, kind of irrelevant.

The thing is, if everyone just accepts cases like these- the cops will get away with it over and over again. Cheating people out of hard earned cash for silly reasons is not on. They need to know that there are more important things to worry about than a petty- guy testing his go-kart, for flip sake!

And they also need to realize, when they try and take people for a ride- people aren't just gonna take it lightly and that they are actually going to do something about it.

Good luck to ya.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ok, just got back from the court.

Not Guilty was the verdict
Judge was very nice and thought the charge was absurd as well and she threw it out immediately.

top topics

join