It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Gets Back Its No-Longer-a-Secret Secret iPhone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Apple Gets Back Its No-Longer-a-Secret Secret iPhone

www.foxnews.com

In a unprecedented breach of security at the Fort Knox of technology, an Apple employee took a prototype iPhone out on a drinking binge…and left it at the bar.

Now Apple has demanded and received back its next-generation phone, but not before the technology enthusiast website Gizmodo (the site's motto for years was "So much in love with shiny new toys it's unnatural") managed to gain possession of the device -- and plastered its site with dozens of photos and a detailed review of the unannounced device.

Pictures and even reviews of unreleased gizmos frequently leak onto the Interne
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It was Accidentally left at a bar. Right near some people who happen to be with Gizmodo magazine. And the Apple employee blames this "accident" on good beer. Right. What better marketing ploy than to claim your amazing new product, which is top secret, is lost and a news outlet has discovered it! WOW free press! And a cleaver diversion to all the articles about how the Ipad sucks. It's things like that that make it painfully obvious that the media is a tool used by those who can afford to use it. Nothing more. You want real news, go to ATS.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You are aware of the irony of your post right?

You are chastising them for creating a fake story, but your also shoving it into the limelight.

You are giving them the publicity they wanted, and you just became a tool of Apple.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is not a fake story. It is a clever story that unveils how corporate giants like Apple use and manipulate the public into buying their products.

ND is spot on, the IPad sucks and this Gizmodo story about the lucky find of the proto iphone is a very very clever diversion.

Now, how is NDs story feeding Apple? It is actually cluing us into the fact of the depth of Apple's deceit.

This is a great thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker
You are aware of the irony of your post right?

You are chastising them for creating a fake story, but your also shoving it into the limelight.

You are giving them the publicity they wanted, and you just became a tool of Apple.

while I have been called a tool before, I ain't getting paid for this. I do see the irony here. I love irony. it's so......ironic.

I just thought that people like us (ATS) see things a bit differently, and this was a shinning example of the media steering the public in the direction they are meant to go. Like good little lemmings.

Originally posted by hotbakedtater/i]
Thanks!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
ND is absolutely right in my opinion. The phone just 'happens' to get left behind and out of all the possible things that could happen Gizmodo get hold of it. I learnt about this on Sky News this morning and the first though was 'yeah right' (it being an accident).
The closely 2nd thought was, sadly, I can't wait to get it.... I'm not an Apple fanboy but I do like the iPhone for some reason. it feels Star Trekey.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Oh my the evil corporations are using cunning marketing ploys to get free advertising in order to manipulate us all into buying their products.

Do you know what ? I'm still not impressed and I won't be shelling out for a Iphone, as much as I'd like to have one for the features it just isn't worth the extorionate price tag that comes with all Apple products (you're just paying for the name above everything else)

People will buy what they want to buy, sure some will be swung by marketing campaigns but ultimately nobody is forced or manipulated into buying products they don't want, so please don't try to make out that Apple are a corporation hell bent on manipulating people because they're not, they're just a business trying to make money and to make money you need to advertise your products

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

This is also what your money supports when you buy an Apple product:

Apple Used Child Labor In China – A History Of Sketchy Manufacturing
thenextweb.com...

Apple's Supplier Responsibility Progress Report Sidesteps All the Fire/Violence/Death Bits
gizmodo.com...

Four suicide attempts in a month at Foxconn, the makers of the iPad
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

Investigate Apple's Chinese Supply Chain, Get Assaulted
gizmodo.com...

Apple Suppliers Foxconn Will Pay Arsonist Workers Overtime and Get Back To Making Shiny New Gadgets
gizmodo.com...

Claims of labor abuse at iPod factories
www.macnn.com...

Inside Apple's iPod factories
www.macworld.co.uk...

[edit on 20-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Your posting those links as though Apple is the only company to use child labor, and unfair working conditions to its advantage.

Any big company takes advantage of shady work practices.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker
reply to post by sos37

Your posting those links as though Apple is the only company to use child labor, and unfair working conditions to its advantage.

Any big company takes advantage of shady work practices.

But this thread is about a company that markets itself as "cool" and markets its products as "cool". Particularly, in this case, the iPhone - one of the most overblown, sheeple-istic pieces of tech in existence.

Are they still "cool" knowing what kind of atrocities were committed in order to bring them to creation?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Not just "cool" but they go for the whole green new-age peacenik yuppie thing as well.

Using slave labor and purposefully obsoleting their toxic products with these 6 month lifespans the way they do hardly fits the image they project.

Yet, so many kids and morons buy it hook, line and sinker.

To them Apple is like the "anti-corporation" when it's just as vile as any other.

Image marketing works wonders apparently.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sigh, all these companies use highly objectionable labor practices. www.nydailynews.com...

Heck anything bought at Walmart has probably had a child's hands on it at some point down the line.

As far as Apple accidentally leaving a phone behind in a bar ... Apple doesn't accidentally do anything. Their bowel movements are on spreadsheets. < (would have spelled that differently for puntificatiunz but T&C prevails)

But their stuff is oh so perty, and so I buy it.

[edit on 20 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Why get an Iphone when you can get a tablet pc? That's what I don't get. I had a tablet (before it fell out of my car door and broke
) a few years back, maybe 2 years after they came out and I absolutely loved it! I would get another one in a heart beat if I could so afford right now.

It has windows xp, basically just a laptop only you can touch it right on it and manipulate it with your digits. As far as I know a Laptop can do far more than an Iphone can. (only setback is Tablets are more expensive but who cares?)

This isn't the brand I had (plus this one is newer) but still a good example.

Almost forgot, this looks exactly like every other Iphone out there. I see nothing special about this at all.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hipsters will be hipsters. They don't care about the Specs or the functionality of a Tablet or even a netbook. They just want the cool Apple logo that all their friends have.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by areyosicker

Unfortunately you are right. Still tablets are way cooler, and those same friends would ga ga over a tablet if they had a chance to play with one.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I do love apple for their Ipods. But in my eyes everything else they produce is absolute trash. Their computers are over priced, and the phones never stood out too much for me.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by areyosicker

I'm talking about tablet PC's with Microsoft windows (or Linux) installed. Nothing to do with Mac in that aspect at all.

I agree though, Ipods are awesome.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
It was Accidentally left at a bar. Right near some people who happen to be with Gizmodo magazine.

Wrong, the person who found it tried several times to return it to apple, of course we all know customer service sucks and he never got a positive response so he sold it to Gizmodo for $5000 after noticing this was not the standard iphone.

Edit to add source: gizmodo.com...

[edit on 20-4-2010 by daniel_g]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
lol @ "top secret next gen phone".

I didn't look at the pictures but let me take a guess... it looks pretty much identical to the phone that made them hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe some small shape changes and possibly some polished metal accenting rather than shiny chrome. Recharge and access ports moved around a bit according to "market research".

As for the guts, it'll be lighter, faster, and more responsive. More internal memory for storage, and an improved OS and initial features pack.

Marketing fluff. These techno giants have prototypes in the works for stuff ten years from now. Like the ole saying goes, you can shear a sheep many times but only skin it once. Incremental technology changes is their business, not innovation.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I wouldn't get an Iphone though at the prices they're currently expecting, same with an Ipod touch, as much as I like gadgets I'm too fussy when it comes to need vs cost which is why I haven't caved in and bought either yet although I'm probably more likely to get an Ipod over Iphone as I've already got a nice mobile.

I sort of see your point on the tablet but can you fit a tablet in your pocket and use it as a phone, camera, mp3player and other things (thanks to the apps) ? The Iphone is a utility gadget in that it offers multiple solutions bundled into one stylish unit, as I've said the only thing that stops me getting one is the cost as my need for it doesn't justify the current price tag.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join