It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End women’s right to vote, Nevada’s largest newspaper says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

The editor of the Las Vegas Review-Journal says he was kidding when he penned an editorial calling for women's right to vote to be repealed, but plenty of people aren't laughing.

Thomas Mitchell has found himself defending his "satirical" look at the differences in the voting patterns of men and women after receiving a "swift and voluble" public reaction to his column on Friday, which was entitled "Time to repeal the 19th amendment?"

"People and candidates for public office should be judged on the basis of their ideas, stance on the issues, character, experience and integrity, not on the basis of age, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion or disability," Mitchell wrote. "Therefore, we must repeal the 19th Amendment. Yes, the one granting suffrage to women. Because? Well, women are biased."

I know Mr. Mitchell said it as a joke but I actually think this exemplifies the mind set of many conservatives. If you look at the way his paper is managed; perhaps it really wasn't a joke.

he notion that the US can be made a more conservative country by eliminating women's right to vote has had some limited support in a few corners of the conservative political world. There's even a Facebook page dedicated to the movement, entitled "Repeal the 19th Amendment!!!"

I wonder if he will lose any advertising $$$?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This article is a riot.

I have to partially concur with him though.

The majority of women do not apply rational logic when making political decisions.

This wouldn't be a big deal if our elected representatives were actually bound by the Constitution, but since the are not, this is highly problematic.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Kidding or not I would never support the idea of taking anyones rights away. If you think Conservatives really feel this way then you are sadly misinformed.

Some people just won't evolve I guess. Can we stop demonizing each other and go back to demonizing the government?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

The vast majority of men are not my equal.

But due to ethical considerations, I refuse to consign the lot of you to the nursery where you belong.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Have you ever read studies done that determine how and why a woman votes the way she does? A lot based on age, sex, color, background like creed etc .. but mostly looks and the sound of the candidates voice. Not surprisingly, you'd see the largest voter block that voted for Obama to be women in their 20's and 30's.

Not saying women shouldn't be allowed to vote.. just saying.. the studies are humorous.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I must agree, we will never be completely equal. We can try but its just not going to happen with out mentality. Not everyone is competent in their political decisions, male or female. If we took anyones voting rights away there would have to be a reason for it that we would have to apply to all race/gender/orientations and not just the targeted one. In the end we'll have just as big of a mess as before.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
rawstory.com...

The editor of the Las Vegas Review-Journal says he was kidding when he penned an editorial calling for women's right to vote to be repealed, but plenty of people aren't laughing.

Thomas Mitchell has found himself defending his "satirical" look at the differences in the voting patterns of men and women after receiving a "swift and voluble" public reaction to his column on Friday, which was entitled "Time to repeal the 19th amendment?"

"People and candidates for public office should be judged on the basis of their ideas, stance on the issues, character, experience and integrity, not on the basis of age, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion or disability," Mitchell wrote. "Therefore, we must repeal the 19th Amendment. Yes, the one granting suffrage to women. Because? Well, women are biased."

I know Mr. Mitchell said it as a joke but I actually think this exemplifies the mind set of many conservatives. If you look at the way his paper is managed; perhaps it really wasn't a joke.

he notion that the US can be made a more conservative country by eliminating women's right to vote has had some limited support in a few corners of the conservative political world. There's even a Facebook page dedicated to the movement, entitled "Repeal the 19th Amendment!!!"

I wonder if he will lose any advertising $$$?

hilarious-
as though ANYONE has a real vote

can you say- distraction????

new topics

top topics

join