It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ancient alien series on the History channel tonight..Why now?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Great show!!

A Freethinker will love this show.

A closed minded skeptic will not like it at all.

They asked a lot of thought provoking questions.

At some point, the answer,"well it just happened" doesn't suffice. Human beings are intelligent and when they see stones cut in ways that's hard for technology we have today, they ask question.

When they see small planes that they can scale up and it flies and these things were done years ago, a freethinker will ask the question.

When a NASA Engineer sets out to prove that people are lying and then changes his mind and writes a book about it called Spaceships of Ezekiel, a freethinker will ask questions.

You have two Engineers building the Manna Machine. A freethinker will ask questions.

Skeptics don't even want you to ask the questions. They want to shut down debate.

There's too many unanswered questions out there and the E.T. Hypothesis answers them very well vs a person saying "that's absurd" "that can't be."

There seems to be this appeal to absurdity as a reason why we shouldn't talk about ancient aliens. It reminds me of something that spiritualist Alfred Russel Wallace who worked on Natural Selection said:

I thus learnt my first great lesson in the inquiry into these obscure fields of knowledge, never to accept the disbelief of men or their accusations of imposture or of imbecility, as of any weight when opposed to the repeated observation of facts by other men, admittedly sane and honest. The whole history of science shows us that whenever the educated and scientific men of any age have denied the facts of other investigators on a priori grounds of absurdity or impossibility, the deniers have always been wrong.

Why in the world can Engineers build a working machine based on scriptures in the Bible?

The breathe of life(air) flows into the machine and algae based food is produced. It also was probably powered by nuclear energy and this is why the Priest had to wear special clothing to get close to the machine and people who touched it had bad side effects or they died.

A freethinker has to ask the questions after something like this.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

YEP it seems we spend all our energy and thought trying to disprove the obvious rather we give these ancient people the abilitys to do things manually that are just unrealistic. how could they possibly cut a 100 ton piece of granite to 1000 clearance with a hammer and string to me our solutions for their methods are dellusional at best
there must be huge amounts of technology we are overlooking ya know

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I caught the first half of the show (had to switch to LOST) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hell, my wife (believes in invisible sky fairies) even liked it and had some questions.

Can't wait to see more

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It never ceases to amuse me how people with absolutely no experience or knowledge in a field can so easily dismiss the word of a trained, experienced professional, merely on the basis of "well I don't think that's right at all".

So obviously, the word of a man who has spent his life working with stone holds nothing compared to the assertions of the oh so intelligent masses sitting infront of their televisions shovelling more processed garbage into their mouths and bawking at the idiocy of someone who's spent their entire lives becoming an expert in his field.

Clearly, trained engineers who have years of experience of analysis and construction cannot hold a candle to the far superior education system of US high schools, meaning that the pyramids couldn't possibly be a power plant, because we were all taught in school that they were tombs.

A wise man relishes the opportunity to gain new knowledge. A fool thinks that what he already knows has to be right, and refuses new knowledge, because it's far less work to just insist that he's already right than to have to get off his fat behind and learn something.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

Exactly and the Ancients told us where this technology came from. They said it came from those who came down from the sky. You hear this from Sumerians to Israelites.

The Ancients described advanced technology in the language of the day which was myth.

They wouldn't give a dissertation on quantum mechanics. So when the Ancients saw advanced technology, it was described and passed down through myths because that's the only way they could understand what they were seeing.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

YEP it seems we spend all our energy and thought trying to disprove the obvious rather we give these ancient people the abilitys to do things manually that are just unrealistic

The reason many people spend time debunking ancient astronaut theory is because there is no direct evidence of it. Its an intriguing theory yes and not outside the realm of extreme possibility BUT one would expect to find more evidence and evidence that could not be explained any other way.

You see our ancestors were not stupid and they existed at a time before mass entertainment and in most cases before democracy so they had endless hours to devote to building incredible monuments that we today would find tedious to assemble. We wouldn't be able to build pyramids today not because its impossible but because its impractical, because we don't use that kind or size of stone to build anymore and because techniques have changed.

I think its a dumb idea to insult those who came before us by not giving them credit for building these monuments, not only is it insulting but it flies in the face of the evidence. Why? Because there is no direct proof of anything high-tech (other than precise masonry) going on at these sights and if there is no evidence of any ancient alien involvement why should we believe there was?

Its the same as those who assume intelligent design is true simply because life is complex. These monuments and ancient places are incredibly complex and intricate, we lazy modern humans cannot even comprehend that our ancestors could do this so we make up space aliens to help them.

Like I said its an interesting theory and there is a chance its true BUT we need way more evidence than what gets presented as such in these shows. Its one thing to be open minded and another to leap to wild conclusions based on inconclusive evidence.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I enjoyed watching the show, but the part when they, the ancient people had advance equipment like we have these days, kind of scared me a little.:lol and the part when are ancestors where riding in planes, and they had a airport
its kind of halirious, and its too good to be true.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by sam_inc]

[edit on 21-4-2010 by sam_inc]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

You see our ancestors were not stupid and they existed at a time before mass entertainment and in most cases before democracy so they had endless hours to devote to building incredible monuments that we today would find tedious to assemble. We wouldn't be able to build pyramids today not because its impossible but because its impractical, because we don't use that kind or size of stone to build anymore and because techniques have changed.

So what you're saying is that even though their own writings (from all over the world) all claim that beings came down from the sky and used their magics to build those impossible structures, the reality of it, based on direct evidence, is that every ancients peoples of the world were all liars, and instead they moved 100 tonne rocks and built unbelievably complicated structures... because there was nothing better to do and they were a bit bored?

Seriously, listen to yourself. You'd rather believe the preposterous rather than believe in logic.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm reminded of a show that covered the "mysterious" stone balls of Pre-Columbia. Supposedly they were far too perfect to have been made by the hands of mere humans.

Well, turns out they weren't. In fact, the host of the show had some local guy give it a shot with nothing more than a hammer stone, string, and sticks, and he came close to matching the "perfection". It's funny how we are so quick to give credit to some anonymous race of interstellar travelers for something as simple as a stone ball. It's no wonder we scream "ALIEN!" at the sight of truly great works.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

So you think it more logical that magical gods who were actually space aliens came down and helped them build stone structures without leaving any evidence?

Please show me the Egyptian legends where it says that the Egyptian gods descended and built the pyramids. Do the same for Machu Picchu, Stonehenge, Puma Punku, the Nazca Lines and all the other sites. Show me these legends because I've never heard them presented and keep in mind that any translations by people like Sitchin are biased. The only mythical account of flying machines that truly left me intrigued was that of the Vimana's in India and that really has nothing to do with building ancient monuments.

I'm aware there are legends about gods coming down from the sky but you are aware that the ancients often personified constellations and stars as their gods (along with the moon, sun, and Earth)?

Edit to Add: List of Megalithic Sites

^ I guess aliens had a hand in all those too, yeah, no way it was people building that stuff

And for the record I'm open to the idea that aliens have been visiting Earth for thousands of years however I find it very hard to believe that they passed on any high-tech tools to us or helped us build these monuments. It is more likely (though both ideas are lacking in evidence) that we built these massive monuments in an attempt to bring them back, like a cargo cult building an idol of a plane.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I watched the two documentaries (two hours each) last night on the History Channel.
Actually this was the Erich von Daniken's show sponsored by the History Channel and
the content was not new but a remake of past shows by Erich von Daniken with some
interesting add-ons.

The Ancient Aliens series is based in the 1996 documentary Chariots of the Gods – The
Mysteries Continue by the ABC Network wich was also based in the german production
Mysterious World: Search for Ancient Technology wich was also based on the 1993
documentary Pathways of the Gods a twenty-five part TV series by the german
television station SAT-1 also based on the first television special “In Search of Ancient
Astronauts”.

All of them produced by Mr. Erich von Daniken and ALL of them based in his best seller
book Chariots of the Gods featured also in a motion picture. As you can see Erich Von
Daniken has been very busy making remakes on television through the years based in
his book. Last night the History Channel presented a new remake with distinguished
authors / researchers invited like Graham Hancock and others but basically the whole
show was focused on Erich Von Daniken's research work that I have seen many times
before.

Undoubtedly a good tv show even that repackaged in many cases, four continuous
hours of entertainment, good for the History Channel, highly recommended.

Some links to Erich Von Daniken's previous versions of Ancient Aliens.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by free_spirit]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I won't deny that there isn't any definite proof that the gods helped people build the pyramids and other structures. but if you look at the evidence that is there then you'll know something isn't right. Like with the pyramid of giza it only took 20 years to build and it contains over 2 million blocks. That's 7,300 days. At at least 300 blocks a day. If they worked 24 hours a day then they would have to stack a block every 5 minutes. They also had to cut the stones to the right shape and carry them to the building site then stack them. Without technology this is impossible to achieve. We couldn't do it today at least not in 20 years. I'm not saying the egyptians were too stupid to stack blocks but if they did it by themselves and without superior technology then it would take at least 100 years to complete.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Logic.

When we look out at the universe, we see countless millions of galaxies, containing countless trillions of stars, many with their own planetary systems. We know that life exists here, on this planet, so logic dictates that if life arose here, there must be any number of other planets whose relative position to their sun and the existance of water and the other building blocks of life allows for life to also be "out there".

When we look at our history, we see a constant thread through paintings both on cave walls and canvas, and even church buildings and the like, that show similar "flying disks" that we also see in our present in the form of grainy phone cam videos and even official nasa footage. Whilst we in our "wisdom" refuse to believe that these painting, photos and videos are documenting a consistent phenomenon that has been present throughout our history unless it has official "disclosure", nevertheless the evidence remains and persists. Over more recent years another consistent thread has been former members of the military and associated groups coming forth, either anonymously or not, saying that alien life has indeed visited our world in these flying disks, but the governments of the world have so far refused to confirm this.

Any civilisation or group with the ability to travel in such flying disks automatically can be labelled as having a more advanced technology than we presently have in the public consciousness. If these beings were to make their identities known to us publicly, they would be able to provide us with more advanced technology than we currently have, or they would also be in a position to ignore us completely, use their technology in order to gain whatever resources they needed, and then leave, taking their technology with them.

If it is logical to believe that there is sentient life "out there" with the ability to travel here now, then it is also logical to assume that any civilisation with that technology would be much older than our own, and therefore logical to assume that they may have come here a long time ago.

If we look at what our technology has achieved, and where our most learned minds believe it is headed, it is reasonable to assume that with enough time, our civilisation will be very capable of travelling out into the stars and genetically engineering life on an uninhabited world. The genetic technology required for that is easily within our grasp now, so it is logical to assume that a more advanced society would also have made those same discoveries, and would be in a far better position to use them.

So, all over the world we have relics in the form of giant constructions well beyond the scope of primitive man to imagine, never mind build with simple tools and no written language. We also have evidence in modern day of our ability to determine the optimum means of building and construction. We don not build our homes from 100 tonne blocks, we build them out of small bricks that can be easily lifted and moved by hand. Any building material that is too large to be readily lifted by hand will be moved by machinery. To try it any other way is wasteful of resources (mainly human resources) and it is unlikely that humans would choose to undertake such a wasteful endeavour. Hunter gatherers needed to spend their time doing just that, hunting and gathering food. To attribute such vast undertakings to a bunch of humans who hadn't even learnt that if you take seeds from plants and stick them in the ground, you can bring the food to you rather than having to go out and walk for miles to find it is ridiculous.

So, in a modern world where many expect to have the final pat on the head of the US government telling us what we already know, that life exists beyond our world and they have the ability to come here, it is far more logical to assume that those structures that we would still struggle to build with our existing technology were built by those same advanced civilisations that we believe to exist than to assume that cavemen decided on a whim to dedicate their entire lives to building a construction that would have no purpose, no input into their lives other than to leave a mark. When we read the mythic accounts from all across the globe telling us of advanced beings beyond us mere mortals who came down from the sky in flying chariots belching flame and amazed the simple humans with their magics, it is more logical to assume that we are reading true accounts of visitations of a more advanced culture than to assume that separate cultures all wrote consistent science fiction stories, or to dismiss those similar accounts from all over the world as merely religious nonsense that can be disregarded without further examination.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry, and I sometimes have a program like this on usually in the form of "background noise" while I work. Once someone came in my office, looked at the TV and asked, "what are you smoking"? Sometimes it's interesting, your right, theres a lot of crap. Just because theres a lot of crap doesent mean I have to eat it. At least they don't condem me to hell because I'm left handed.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenMinded0141

Yes building the pyramid seems incredible but its more probable for their to be errors in dating or an error in how long they took to construct than it is for there to have been aliens involved.

These sites are definitely mysterious and worthy of study but just because we can't grasp how man built them doesn't mean we need to conjure up borderline supernatural events. This has been the case with human kind for millenia though, there are many formations both natural and unnatural which have elaborate myths or legends surrounding their construction.

Its fun to speculate and make up theories but we must be wary not to fall too deeply into believing them, at least until evidence can prove 100% whether ETs were or were not involved. Personally I think these sites are a testament to human endeavor and to a more industrious time in our history ... if the Egyptians had technology from the gods they'd likely be as lazy as we are now in our high-tech age, if alien tech made it easy they'd have been able to finish the pyramid in five years, not twenty.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

I agree that there is life in the Universe HOWEVER the chance that an advanced civilization existing at the same time as our own could traverse the immense distances between stars (possibly between galaxies) is remote. Its not impossible but its unlikely.

I also agree that the UFO phenomenon appears to be ongoing throughout human history but again many of those artworks or paintings are personifications of celestial bodies such as the sun or the moon or are open to interpretation, not all depict UFOs. I've never seen NASA footage that was conclusive, I've seen some that are more compelling than others and then others (such as the tether incident) which are more likely to be debris close to the camera that appear far away.

So, all over the world we have relics in the form of giant constructions well beyond the scope of primitive man to imagine, never mind build with simple tools and no written language.

Here you go belittling and insulting our ancestors yet again. So if human beings did not build or even imagine these sites than WHAT ARE THEY FOR? What purpose does an alien race so advanced it can travel Faster than Light need to build Machu Piichu for? What about the Nazca lines (and don't feed me any flying saucer run way crap because a giant whale on the desert floor is NOT a run way, certainly not for anything high tech)?

The fact of the matter is none of these monuments show any evidence of being influenced by aliens in any way. Look back up at my post and the link to the list of megalithic sites, it also goes into how big some of the stones are. You're going to tell me aliens are just swooping down handing out technology and designing pyramids and monuments for primitive peoples that serve mainly religious functions? Again just because these monuments are incredibly large and incredibly complex does not mean aliens did it. This is the same as saying life is very complex so their must be a creator. You are grasping at a wild conclusion when one isn't needed nor does the evidence support it. Also, just because we modern humans cannot quite grasp what the ancients were doing when they built these places doesn't mean we need aliens to explain it, in fact the alien hypothesis raises far more questions than it answers.

Intelligent alien life - yes probably

Possibility that life has visited Earth - yes but very improbable.

Possibility that aliens helped build megalithic structures - Remote in the extreme. What reason would they have to? What evidence is there that they did?

Seems very odd to suddenly leap to the alien conclusion and believe it wholeheartedly without evidence. It's an interesting theory to consider and enter in the running as a possibility, but it needs a lot more evidence than the same handful of things they put forward on these shows every year.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
No, I'm saying that an advanced race came to Earth to mine resources. They may or may not have even genetically engineered humans to dig out those resources. Structures like the pyramids had practical purposes for them, like power generation, mining complexes, airports, etc. The Nazca lines could have been a marker, either a complicated "we were here" or left to inspire the search for who made them once the humans gained their own technology and were able to view them from above. There's less mention made about another set of lines at Nazca that are a similar system to the star chart representing the location of Earth that was sent out into space, it's the star like cluster diagram on the plaque with the iconic line drawing of a nude male and female. If NASA is using the same convention to mark our location as is used in Nazca, it suggests that they understand who left it and why, and are responding in kind.

As for the art, I'd like you to open this to interpretation. This was painted in the 15th century: Salimbeni's painting in the Church of San Pietro

There are plenty of anomolies that quite simply cannot be explained as works of man. Man cannot cut the top of a mountain and make it disappear, leaving a flat surface.

These things in all likelihood were not made for man's benefit, nor as religious buildings. They served practical purposes for the race that made them, and when they were done, they lifted all their technology, all the evidence you so crave, and left the stone buildings and monuments where they stood, and then man stepped in and created the religiosity that now surrounds them. They remembered what had happened there, and even though they didn't have evidence, they didn't have the technology, they had their memories, and all over the world separate and non-communicating groups of humans all wrote about the same things in their own way, adding their own cultural colour and exagerations as time went on and the stories were handed down to the next generation, and before long the stories were being told by people who had no memory of them, just the stories passed down.

I'm not saying that I understand it all, or even have connected all the dots correctly. All I'm saying is that it is sheer lunacy to disgregard this theory, because the simple fact is, it makes sense. If we ask the indigenous population, the ancestors of the people who were there when many of these things were built, we hear stories of how the star people made them, or sky brothers, or beings from the sky, all around the world, different names for the same ideas. And you think it's wiser to disregard the word of ancient cultures who say "no, we didn't build those" and pat them on the head and tell them not to be silly, of course they built them, there's no such thing as star people.

There's plenty of evidence if you'll just take your head out of the sand. Just because you don't want a thing to be true does not mean you're clever by saying it's not there.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplescorpio
Are we getting closer to finding the source of our amnesia ? we as a people seem to have huge gaps of missing time evolution and technology that would be explained by a little alien stepping stone in our past. I cant wait to tune in
Be Well

They run this every year. The series is great and all but they are just reusing old footage from the previous episodes.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
The reason many people spend time debunking ancient astronaut theory is because there is no direct evidence of it.

Nail. Head. Hit it.

Just count (or have a drink) each time the narrator asks a question similar to, "Could this have been... an alien power plant? Could this be... evidence of space travel? Could this be... all a load of hogwash?" But don't drive afterwards.

Well, shoot. How about providing some evidence that it actually was what you say it could have been? Why not? Oh, I see. Because there isn't any. It's all raw, wild conjecture.

Are there mysteries as to how and why certain ancient things were made? Sure. But just because you don't know the whys and hows of something is not a good reason to jump to the alien explanation!

Manna from Heaven machine. Yeah, right! And all it needs is a nuclear reactor to power it. Which happens to conveniently be found in the Ark of the Covenant! Well, I guess we solved that mystery. Nothing like explaining one unknown with another.

Here's an unknown for you. Why didn't the aliens just give the Hebrews a freaking map to get out of the stupid desert! Split the Red Sea? Sure, no problem. A map to find a place to go? No, I'm going to punish you for 40 years first for making that golden calf. Because otherwise, you would have just gone to Arabia and turned left.

Come on, folks. Yes, science fiction and old mythology is fun. But, really. Just because something is unexplained doesn't mean it was alien. Just because something looks a little like something else, doesn't mean that's what it was. What's it take to do that? A little thing called positive proof. Which is definitely lacking in the Ancient Astronaut field.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheIrvy
Logic.

When we look out at the universe, we see countless millions of galaxies, containing countless trillions of stars, many with their own planetary systems. We know that life exists here, on this planet, so logic dictates that if life arose here, there must be any number of other planets whose relative position to their sun and the existance of water and the other building blocks of life allows for life to also be "out there".

Wrong. Just wrong. You know why? Because we have absolutely no idea how life came to be. Do you know how a lot of chemicals -- the building blocks of life -- managed to magically build themselves together into something that eats and self-replicates and has a point of view? I don't. Nobody does. We can't even figure the probabilities.

So it's logically just as likely that we are the only living things in the entire universe. It's impossible at this point to say there absolutely has to be other living things out there. That is logic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join