It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spectacular New Cosmic Sight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
You know... From time to time you get disillusioned with this 'God' figure, you feel there is a lack of effort, a lack of presence, which leads some to ultimately turn to atheism. There is nothing wrong with that, and in fact, if it weren't for some things in this world, that would be the only viable standpoint.

But when you see the photo below, just released by the VISTA telescope you can't help but feel there is something more, something intelligent played a role in allowing for such things to even exist. Maybe it is illogical, maybe it isn't, but my thoughts are shared by many, as even though God may be dead here, on Earth, look up at the night sky and you need no more proof that there is more to this place than meets the eye.

*This new image of the Cat’s Paw Nebula reveals new details laid bare by the near-infrared imaging of the VISTA telescope.

That deep emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God.
-Albert Einstein

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Astonishing and humbling... There's so many people who take everything for granted: The world, the fact they are alive and thinking, let alone the Universe... There has to be more to it...

[edit on 20-4-2010 by j-man]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Nice one!
Pictures like these are great ways to put a little perspective into normal everyday life. Because, hey.. that's a lot of stars
:

Strange how it almost resembles something you would see under a microscope...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Lovely picture.... just highlights how 'tiny' we are in scale of things.

And yet, that might be tiny to something larger.... mind boggling.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
pictures like that remind me how ridiculous moral/religious beliefs are. there might well be a god out there somewhere but i can't swallow the brick that says it would give a fig about my petty sins. i should hope there are far more interesting things to examine in such an incredible universe than whether or not i throw my eye over my neighbors wife/ox or which direction i face when i pray.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Exactly. People are so drawn into their own illogical beliefs and their stubbornness doesn't allow them to examine what they claim to be the most important thing, God, in a perspective outside of the restrictions of their faith.

But like you said, let's look at it in really simple terms and make some assumptions.

There is a Creator.

The Creator is obviously intelligent.

Why would the creator care about whether you fast or not? Whether you pray facing the East or the West? Whether you pray at all? Whether you ask for forgiveness? Whether you read a 'holy' text'? Whether you practice irrational rituals? Whether you go to church every Sunday, etc. It does not make sense and we should be looking at the bigger picture.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
When we see this kind of grandure in the universe we sometimes get hung up on how small we are in the grand scheme of things and extrpolate that out to how small our ideas about God are.

It's true...our ideas are small. We would do God justice to think that these things exist for God's pleasure regardless of weather we know about them or not or are just discovering them and ejoying them ourselves after eons of their existence

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Since you liked that I have to say go see the Hubble IMAX 3d movie that is currently out.

I just saw it the other day. You can access my thoughts and whatnot on the movie and the effect. The link is in my signature.

Trust me. You will be blown away.

Awesome pic here. So much out there and we're stuck here..... ugh

great find S&F

[edit on 4/20/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
pictures like this make me want to cry. we can look but not touch i should have been born 1000 years from now when we have the ability to travel to everyone of them instead of being trapped on prison planet terra
oh well great pic

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i see a dude with suit and tie on the right man lol he has a short full beard look to the right u will see it, it looks as if he is standing there looking to the right and only fae and part of chest visible lol, you sure this is not been played with?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
pictures like this make me want to cry. we can look but not touch

you can reassure yourself with the knowledge that, no matter where you are in the universe, this is equally true.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

beautiful picture! Almost looks like a dyson sphere in bottom middle.. Haha

Seriously though, Cat's Paw Nebula provides some spectacular imagery..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
on the scale: Quasars...............................................x......Quarks

the humans & critters like dung beetles share the 'x' position in the spectrum

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well said pieman!

I have often thought that if "god"/some form of intelligent "being" created the universe-then whoever that being is/was needed quite a bloody large laboratory/workshop to achieve the idea(never mind the energy and raw materials..).

I wonder then,If we are such a small part of said "creation"-what gives us the right to believe that this creator gives a stuff about us or our planet,as we make up such a minute part of the whole...did this creator even notice when we were "created?"

I mean we are made in his image,they say-and how much do we care about say GM organisms,or other life that we have "created?"

Not enough to even visit and communicate with them!!
Do they even believe/know/understand that we exist,and created them?

If s/he/it did care about us,they must be awfully busy doing somethine else at the moment,as we do not seem to get regular visits...

Maybe the creator popped out to the local for a few pints and forgot about us?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
pictures like that remind me how ridiculous moral/religious beliefs are. there might well be a god out there somewhere but i can't swallow the brick that says it would give a fig about my petty sins. i should hope there are far more interesting things to examine in such an incredible universe than whether or not i throw my eye over my neighbors wife/ox or which direction i face when i pray.

Oh contrare my friend!

Pictures like this remind me exactly how incredible God is. He spoke of our creation in Genesis and spoke of the infinite universe that is his creation or the heavens if you will. This was writing thousands of years ago when people were much more primitive. Hell, 500 years ago we knew the earth was flat, 400 years ago we knew the center of the universe, 300 years ago we knew the Milky Way Galaxy was absolutely massive and nothing could compare. God knew all of this and spoke of his infinite universe before we even knew about other planets in our own solar system let alone our solar system.

To be a single living thriving planet amongst a seemingly endless universe or even a multiverse and to have God speak of his creation of our world thousands of years ago and for you to simply say how ridiculous religion is... well my friend I believe it is you who is completely ridiculous!

We are animals, we are beasts, we are soon to be dust of the earth. Our souls are what live forever. Your sins are the only thing in the way of salvation, or perhaps your mind is what's in the way. You are completely right, this makes no sense to believe in the spirit world and that you are a soul. You are completely right it makes no sense, and that my friend is what prevents so much of this world from having faith. We are living in a time of "no video, no proof" and if it doesn't make sense in our head then it doesn't make sense to believe. But I can tell you with every ounce of my heart that you will never experience anything, ANYTHING, like forgiving your sins to the Lord Jesus and giving your life to him. I can't tell you, I can't reason with you, I can make sense of it for you. All I can tell you is when you experience your spirit inside of you come alive and the tears run down your face against your own will you will sit there and wonder how you've spent such a long time missing God's love. He loves you, but it is your choice to love him back and it is my choice to express my love of him toward you.

I don't mean to be judging, or a hater, a persuader, or anything else for that matter. All I want is to shed some of my wisdom of my spirit and faith upon you

God bless brother!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The sparkly things are really nice.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Very lovely picture. Looks like a dark nebula cutting down the middle of an emission nebula. (Just had my first-year astronomy final, got all these things floating around in my head, feels nice to be able to recognize some in a picture, that's if I'm even correct)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This world is a mystery...yes! But many scientists throughout the last century have tried to debunk the bible and have failed to this day.

When I was in college...they introduced a new teaching of creationism because it was more liable than science itself. Meaning that it made more sense that each creature...example the camel...was created just for the envoronement it lived. This being said...humans are the only species capable of living anywhere on this planet and the ability to adjust to any environment. This confirms that man has been made master over all the earth.

It is futile for any man to look and observe this univers we live in and conclude that there is no God. The Bible calls that man a fool.

We are close to the time when all men will know the truth, and that is that we have pupose after all.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Wow,

huge, massive, awe inspiring, and beautiful....

thanks for sharing.

g

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Thank you for my new screen saver.

flag for the cat paw nebula!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join