It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Lights seen over Los Angeles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
There is also another thread at present about radio noise.
Supposedly coming from somewhere in space. Sincrenicity?

[edit on 20-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
there was a tremor in LA

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km Region
MAP 2.7 2010/04/20 05:22:55 33.679 -117.887 6.7 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Wow, that doesn't sound too good. I hope there doesn't end up being an earthquake after all. We just had an earthquake where I am in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. It was a 5.2 on the Richter scale and it woke me up because I felt my bed shaking, pretty scary. I posted the details here.

There was also an earthquake in Adelaide, South Australia three days ago that was a 3.8 on the Richter scale.

Just read this: Earthquakes: Are They Increasing and Getting Stronger?

As the latest earthquakes are added to the devastating quakes in Haiti and Chile this year, some are asking whether we are seeing an increasing number of earthquakes, and whether they are becoming stronger.

Dr David Jepsen is a seismologist with the Australian Government’s monitoring service, Geoscience Australia. He says the recent spate of earthquakes is not unusual. Dr Jepsen has told Sydney Radio 2UE’s Tim Webster that we are more aware of the earthquakes that are taking place because population growth has led to people living in areas that are susceptible to tremors.

When asked about the likelihood of California being hit with a strong earthquake, Dr Jepsen says it’s inevitable.

“If you look at the statistical history of earthquakes, they will occur on those major plate boundaries. When they’ll occur we can’t predict, but they will occur at some point in time. When that happens, it will be very interesting to see how California’s buildings are able to withstand such a quake.”

Wow, I hope it isn't going to be that bad. Even though according to Dr. Jepsen it's not unusual, I still have to wonder whether or not Earthquakes are increasing and getting stronger. Makes you think..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I don't think our buildings will hold up that well. I read an article not too long, I'll see if I can find it and post it on here. Anyway, the article was about an earthquake in California and how our buildings are built for earthquakes. The problem is though that the buildings that are built to withstand earthquakes are all post 1970's buildings as that's when new building codes were implemented. I don't remember the exact number the article stated but it was somewhere around 60-70% of buildings in California were built prior to the 70's. For instance, the house I grew up in was built in the 50's. Orange County might fare a little better than Los Angeles bc those communities are fairly new.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkly_Eyed777
Wow, that doesn't sound too good. I hope there doesn't end up being an earthquake after all. We just had an earthquake where I am in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. It was a 5.2 on the Richter scale and it woke me up because I felt my bed shaking, pretty scary. I posted the details here.

There was also an earthquake in Adelaide, South Australia three days ago that was a 3.8 on the Richter scale.

Just read this: Earthquakes: Are They Increasing and Getting Stronger?

As the latest earthquakes are added to the devastating quakes in Haiti and Chile this year, some are asking whether we are seeing an increasing number of earthquakes, and whether they are becoming stronger.

Dr David Jepsen is a seismologist with the Australian Government’s monitoring service, Geoscience Australia. He says the recent spate of earthquakes is not unusual. Dr Jepsen has told Sydney Radio 2UE’s Tim Webster that we are more aware of the earthquakes that are taking place because population growth has led to people living in areas that are susceptible to tremors.

When asked about the likelihood of California being hit with a strong earthquake, Dr Jepsen says it’s inevitable.

“If you look at the statistical history of earthquakes, they will occur on those major plate boundaries. When they’ll occur we can’t predict, but they will occur at some point in time. When that happens, it will be very interesting to see how California’s buildings are able to withstand such a quake.”

Wow, I hope it isn't going to be that bad. Even though according to Dr. Jepsen it's not unusual, I still have to wonder whether or not Earthquakes are increasing and getting stronger. Makes you think..

I have a really rough time making any sense of this statement.

because population growth has led to people living in areas that are susceptible to tremors.

Population growth has not led to people living in siezmic zones.
They have always lived in siezmic zones.
People go where the weather is nice mostly. California. Sure is a pretty name for a state that can be very trecherous.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
You can't even feel a 2.2. 2.2 earthquakes happen almost every other day. I seriously doubt it was from that. I am more inclined to think it was from the meteor shower. I would love a good 5 pointer quake. those are fun with little worry about damage besides the frame from a poorly hung photo.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
You can't even feel a 2.2. 2.2 earthquakes happen almost every other day. I seriously doubt it was from that. I am more inclined to think it was from the meteor shower. I would love a good 5 pointer quake. those are fun with little worry about damage besides the frame from a poorly hung photo.

We felt the jolt, that's why I went and looked it up right away before finding this thread. Yes a 2.2 isn't much, but you can definitely feel it if you are close enough.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

Check out this map. Lots of activity still near the baja quake and border.
Although as a so cal resident, and someone that keeps our local USGS map in my favorites to visit regularly, we have lots of 2.? daily in our state.

Back to the map....that's a lot of activity, none the less, and I believe the San Andreas runs through that area. So you never know! Same plan as poster above....run outside and dodge trees and lightpoles, (it's highly unlikely the earth will open up and swallow me outdoors!)

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Cnn.com just posted a video saying the next big one is coming to SoCal

Cnn video

lol @ mass media scare tactics.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Kansas City]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by randyvs

Yea I agree. After I read that statement I denied all credibility to that article. Population growth has nothing to do with living in active seismic zones. Weather and climate, being near the beach, those are reasons why people live in seismically and geologically active areas.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Was the light near you or far away? I am not in US but I see a lot of "lights" with no thunder after, if there`s a storm over a neighbouring city . I can see the fuzzy light from the lightnings in those big fluffy dark clouds
but no sound because the storm is too far away for that.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
hey...um.....
aren't EQ lights rosy or pink?

the night before the huge offshore eq in arcata this year, i saw so much pink in the sunset it was surreal- in a spooky sense.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

I`m not saying it may not be "earthquake light" but the pink hue can also be seen over a very polluted city, like the pink nightsky after a rain, when there are lots of clouds. But I`ve never heard about the sunset thing.
I do hope these are not earthquake lights though

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well,only one thing comes to mind after reading this post and the related responses.

Deny Ignorance

"Earthquake lights" are NOT bright flashes in the sky.

They look almost like the "northern lights" phenomena.

One theory is the stresses in the earth build up a long fault lines and gasses are released from the interior of the earth.

The same gasses that are used in gas discharge lamps commonly called neon lamps ,though different inert gasses are used to create other colored glows.

There is also a phenomena related to earthquakes called electromagnetic disturbances associated with earthquakes

You obviously DID NOT observe these as evidence of NO quake in the L.A. area as I write this post!

Most likely in the LARGE urban area you reported seeing these "flashes" a police chase resulted in some one crashing in to a power pole and causing a transformers to blow out.

You see those bright flashes during and after a quake not before.

Believe me,I watched dozens blow during the Northridge quake.

I am a "earthquake sensitive" and could not sleep that night because I knew something was coming.

I was outside smoking a cigarette when it happened.

Deny Ignorance

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Ha ok, you say deny ignorance yet you didn't even bother to go to the link the author provided. What makes you such a credible source of information. If you visited the link, it states that earthquake lights can be seen up to weeks before an earthquake and after. Deny Ignorance = such a lame phrase.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The San Andres is a right lateral slip strike fault, which are not associated typically with the lights. But if there are weird lights considering everything else going on it would be wise to heed the warning! (but I live on the east coast so what do I know...)

Next time make sure to take a pic of it, please!

[edit on 4/21/2010 by kupoliveson]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join