It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tower of Babel: What were the Gods Afraid of?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

In Genesis 11, the Lord comes down to see the city and the tower that the people have built. The Lord speaks to his cohorts "well, now they all have one language and this is what they do!"

(Was this really a singular verbal language, or could it be a metaphor that they were all of one mind? Wasn't it their intention to build this tower in order to reach God? Why did this God not want to be reached or known?)

What the Lord said next seems to be disturbing. In Genesis 11:6 the Lord says "if they succeed with this nothing they undertake to do will be impossible." In other words, with this type of unity the people could accomplish anything!

Why were these gods afraid of people being unifed and peaking into the heavens to try to know god?

Is this not the very thing we are doing now? We have babelfish to translate most any language. So not only do we have "one language" many of us are unified in one accord to seek answers. Towers power our communication network.

Why would the Lord not want a unified people that could accomplish great things? Why did this Lord and his cohorts feel so threatened that they destroyed the unity of the people?

So I was talking to a bible friend the other day and I came to my own conclusion that this refers to tectonic plate movement and evolution. At one time there was only 1 continent and due to techtonic plate movement it separated and caused our continents today. I think it was a simple way to explain something that can't be seen.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

Originally posted by Lucifer84
PS:
The serpent gave us free will not God, but who knows if he was planning to do it at some point and the serpent beat him to it.....The Great deception?

there is a big difference between encouraging or deceiving someone into practicing free will, and giving free will

Free will is an evolutionary development as far as it exists. There is some mixture of Fate and free will working together. However, Yahweh cloaks the extent of free will we actually have, as well as blinding us to our innate divinity, whereas Satan has always told us exactly what is true.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Relgious and scholarly group manage to secure funds for building project.

They begin building project. Project starts to get some pressure to be finished. Builders start bringing in outside workers - workers that speak languages which are not common or only understood by a few.

Seems like a good idea at first. Increasing communication problems start to create project havoc. Project funders start becoming angry, and insist on faster work. Shortcuts are made to make up for the time lost. Project managers and foremen start to become disillusioned and angry by the fact that they cannot seem to make workers understand how to do things.

Some piece of the construction that is critical to holding the fresco ceiling up collapses.

What we have in the story of the Tower of Babel is a story of a failed construction project, and that one of the main reasons was language barriers.

[edit on 2010/4/20 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

That one is easy. We of humanity are a product of these "Gods," and as such we will eventually come to know this, and also come to know that we have the powers attributed to the "God." (ET Beings) I believe the original word for "tower" meant "Shem," which was a spacecraft of the Annunaki. Take into consideration here, Alethea, if you were to come to a planet such as Earth in those days, and used your knowledge to create a race of slaves, and then those slaves seemed to me of one mind, and were planning to build a craft to reach up to, read that "blast off to," "heaven," or "abode of the Gods," then surely you would do something to ward off this invasion of your slaves, right?

I have always thought the "one language" of Biblical lore was actually telepathy, or a melding of the human minds, a kind of collective thought. I also think that after the event of Babel, the human DNA was stripped of 10 of it's original 12 strands, leaving us with two.
Happily, we are slowly growing these lost DNA strands back, a little at a time.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

This is from The King James version from 1611.

11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower,
whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name,
lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which
the children of men builded.

11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they
have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now
nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined
to do.
11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language,
that they may not understand one an other's speech.

11:8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face
of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

That to me says God scattered us because we are no longer bound by anything that keeps us from achieving the unimaginable.

They say let us go down and stop them.

My question is why ? Why is it so obvious and clear we are not allowed to
After eating the forbidden fruit there is said.

3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of
us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand,
and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Man has become one of God ? He knows knowledge. What would a man do that lives forever ? He will eventualy gain enough knowledge to stand up to 'them'?

It looks to me that for a reason that is not known. Everything is done to prevent us from the unimaginable. To become a threat to them.

Well that's just where my thoughts go.

Well... ?

Ohh. The unimaginable is IMO telling us exactly what quantum theory and an holographic universe are speculating about.
We create our own reality an some one or force does anything to prevent us from succeeding.

Edit. All our now known languages can be traced back to a single source.
I believe it's called Sanskrit or something.

[edit on 4/20/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I wanted to point out the greatness of ignorance. Most of all of you live a life of toil and misery. You work for your government to feed, cloth and house yourself until you die. Plus you pay taxes and on top of that you have to pay bills. Remember what it was like as a 5 year old? Remember how carefree. If that's ignorance i'll take that anyday

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Amen ! Yes please let me be 5 again.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
CALM DOWN PEOPLE I have the NIV verse right here. zondervan international version.. Best bible to read. for those of you who can ROFL. net joke

I'll copy it.

11:6 If.... then: If the whole human race remained united in the proud attempt to take its destiny into its own hands and by its self centered efforts to seize the reins of history, there would be no limit to its unrestrained rebellion against God. A godless human kingdom would displace and exclude the kingdom of God.

Holy #! it was that simple and you didn't have to go through the whole trouble of pissing christians spirituals off.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Heres a short narrative from "The interpreter's one volume commentary on the bible"

The Narrative in its present form suggests that civilization, which seeks to bring order out of cultural, economic, and political choas, can become an end in itself, thus amounting to rebellion against God and resulting in self defeat. In Gen. Man's will to be like God. (vs 6 ; cf. 3:5-6; 6:2-4) has ended in separation from God, a return to choas in the Flood, and an alienation among men which makes communication and cooperation between them extremely difficult if not impossible. Having treated the problem of human origins, the authors now offer an interpretation of history which speaks to man knowing himself as "a possibility entrapped in failure but yearning toward the long light." (John Ciardi).

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Did you skip over the chapters right before the tower of Babel? There was no fear, God had just wiped out the entire planet because everything behaved and thought wickedly continually. The post flood civilization was on a course to go right back to where it came from, God simply prolonged the inevitable. Fast forward 3500 years to today, the world is more united than ever (tv, internet, news communications) and yet our wickedness is increasing exponentially.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Heres a short narrative from "The interpreter's one volume commentary on the bible"

The Narrative in its present form suggests that civilization, which seeks to bring order out of cultural, economic, and political choas, can become an end in itself, thus amounting to rebellion against God and resulting in self defeat. In Gen. Man's will to be like God. (vs 6 ; cf. 3:5-6; 6:2-4) has ended in separation from God, a return to choas in the Flood, and an alienation among men which makes communication and cooperation between them extremely difficult if not impossible. Having treated the problem of human origins, the authors now offer an interpretation of history which speaks to man knowing himself as "a possibility entrapped in failure but yearning toward the long light." (John Ciardi).

I wanted to show some major points on what I had to say. It would seem that history is repeating itself. This is my opinion. so it is up to you. If our civilization is at it's breaking point (which I think many can believe, more so with the west lately) the civilization tries to seek a way out. the world is going to hell and were making the LHC. I wanted to point out how odd it would seem that with the economic down turn, political problems, world views, human belief to not believe in other beliefs, nature, quake~N~volcanos, etc etc. we escape ourselves to build something like the LHC. I for one see a connection between the tower of babel and the lhc in the current form of history.

TOB=LHC

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
i think the fear factor was inserted into the conceptualization phase of writing the text. the gods did not fear. the people did not fear. the pre-flood people were not sinful (not in the sense it seems to suggest). adam and eve didn't sin, in the sense it seems to suggest. the word "sin" has been all kinds of mangled, but because it was such a beneficial conceptual tool in getting people to behave and function better in social settings and towards leaders and authority figures, it stuck to us like glue.

seems more likely, there were a handful of powerful nephilim, who were the offspring of the gods, the result of genetic modifications, responsible for most of this "man is bad" syndrome, in pre-flood memories. man was manipulated, genetically, to become something other than man, as were the flora and fauna. soon nothing was edible unless it had original genetic code. the few humans that remained, ended up being eaten as a food source by the nephilim.

a drought kicked in, decimating available edible flora. the only way to stop the trend, was to save what remained of the edible animals and humans who had managed to stay as they were originally created (noah was perfect in his GENERATIONS... the words are there for a reason).

i'm not gonna lapse into another rendition of why the tower of babel was a (deity/star) gate, as i've posted on that topic on ats, like a kajillion times, not to mention done many radio interviews, wrote books and have a 200+ thread on the topic here at ats. if the data hasn't gotten any more traction than this thread indicates, after all this time, it never will.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
...you are all aware that the greek historian herodotus claimd to have visited the tower of babel, right? Right?

The temple of Bêl, the Babylonian Zeus [...] was still in existence in my time. It has a solid central tower, one stadium square, with a second erected on top of it and then a third, and so on up to eight. All eight towers can be climbed by a spiral way running round the outside, and about half way up there are seats for those who make the ascent to rest on. On the summit of the topmost tower stands a great temple with a fine large couch in it, richly covered, and a golden table beside it. The shrine contains no image, and no one spends the night there except (if we may believe that Chaldaeans who are the priests of Bêl) one Babylonian woman, all alone, whoever it may be that the god has chosen. The Chaldaeans also say -though I do not believe them- that the god enters the temple in person and takes his rest upon the bed.

www.livius.org...

www.bibleprobe.com...

visopsys.org...

(some links to various pages on the subject)

(and, just because it's cool, some artist's depictions of the tower)

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by satanictemple
reply to post by Alethea

The Yahweh-led elohim were concerned with the same thing they were concerned with in the opening chapters of Genesis: that humans would realize their innate divinity, and their ability to "be like gods." This is one reason I worship Satan as my Lord, not the slave-driver, Yahweh.

Which Satan?

The one from the Book of Job?

He happens to serve that slave driver. He doesn't like humans and has nothing to do with a certain Babylonian king from Isaiah that Catholics decided to name "Lucifer".

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

PS:
The serpent gave us free will not God, but who knows if he was planning to do it at some point and the serpent beat him to it.....The Great deception?

there is a big difference between encouraging or deceiving someone into practicing free will, and giving free will

Free will is an evolutionary development as far as it exists. There is some mixture of Fate and free will working together. However, Yahweh cloaks the extent of free will we actually have, as well as blinding us to our innate divinity, whereas Satan has always told us exactly what is true.

This is why Lucifer facinates me, if there is such a being i think he/she at one point went toe to toe with God and lost - therefore all history / reference to Lucifer was negative. Kind of like the victor of war writes the history.

Lucifer is mis-understood IMO - no suprise with my avatar & username

EDIT to add: Lucifer tried to let us know what we were all about, was punished by Yahweh and then his character attacked. What would be a better way to cover up a truth than to install fear into those who dare to listen, and call him the deciever, Satan, Devil etc...(Adam & Eve cast out of Eden)

[edit on 21/4/10 by Lucifer84]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Another important question here is how long after the Flood was the city of the tower established? Was this an adequate length of time to build up such an actual work force considering the number of people aboard the ark and their generations?

According to some historians the destruction of the tower took place during the fourth generation of Shem. Where would all of these workers have come from in so short a time if everyone had been destroyed in a flood except for Noah's family?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

oh you mean like how we wont die?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Ok, am i the only one one that finds recent posts that havent taken off at all that you think should have got a lot more attention?! lol.. Excellent post OP! Not an angle i personally thought of before, but its put it into a far greater siniser light the way you put it.. and thats not a bad thing by the way! But it is, to me at least, strange that they were so concerned, that they do not want the people unified in any way or form.. (i think the internet is dangering this in a way, one possible reason they are seeking to control it so intensely)? and that yes, humans, if we were to put more of our energies together instead of having them so torn from one another in hate, anger and conflict, there is no way we could even imagine what we could do.. and i think thats a huge conspiracy all its own to keep the populace supressed, the from birth amnesia we all have helps this, especially about our extremely unknown potential and powers as a species as a whole..maybe, just maybe, 'God' didnt want mankind to reach the heavens to peak in, because they would have found an empty castle.. and then the powers on earth (ie, the PTB or whatever one uses for the ancient Elites) at that time would have been screwed..gig up..
just a thought

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I wanted to point out the greatness of ignorance. Most of all of you live a life of toil and misery. You work for your government to feed, cloth and house yourself until you die. Plus you pay taxes and on top of that you have to pay bills. Remember what it was like as a 5 year old? Remember how carefree. If that's ignorance i'll take that anyday

except when you were 5, you could afford to be ignorant. someone else took care of you. someone else protected you.

alot of children (myself included) didnt have that. we learn real quick that ignorance will cost you dearly.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Lucifer is mis-understood IMO - no suprise with my avatar & username

EDIT to add: Lucifer tried to let us know what we were all about, was punished by Yahweh and then his character attacked. What would be a better way to cover up a truth than to install fear into those who dare to listen, and call him the deciever, Satan, Devil etc...(Adam & Eve cast out of Eden)

ok.. lucifer is a latin word that people read in a hebrew text. it is not a name. it was left in there by some english scribe. the chapter's context clearly shows that the "morning star" (which translates lucifer in latin) is the babylonian king.

how did satan try to let us know what we are all about?

the knowledge of good and bad is not some hidden secret knowledge. adam and eve partook so if satan was telling them that they would get something, they got it. we would have it too as we are their offspring. think about what we have.

we have a set of morals independent of god. God says do not fornicate, yet thats what we do. God says do not kill, yet thats what we do. etc etc

wouldnt you say we have become our own "gods, knowing good and bad". why go to god for anything if we determine our own life?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join