It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tower of Babel: What were the Gods Afraid of?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well I'm no biblical scholar or anything but my understanding is that the people so desired to be like God that they built the Tower of Babel to be closer to Him.

When God saw what the people were building a tower to be closer to him in the heavens but had missed the point of being reverent to God and praising Him for the things He had done, he became pissed and separated the people by making them speak different languages.

Once everyone spoke in different tongues, no more work was done on the tower and God had proved his point that just being up high was not enough to be God-like.

It is an interesting theory that explains the multitude of languages present on the earth today in a biblical light. On a more scientific note one really has to wonder why there are several 'root' languages with variant offshoots.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
maybe it was symbolical,the people tryed to unite (not like nwo) and can you imagine how great the earth will be if all nations unite
no sexism
no racism
no hate,no crime
only love and success
we would be the dominant nation in the galaxy.
when you start to combine the things "hidden hand" sayd and the bible,you really start to understand what is everything about. no need to believe them,but to have read them

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

But then you enter the debate of why give people free will and free choice if you're only going to punish them for supposedly breaking a rule you never told them about.

The whole premise seems utterly ridiculous to me. Logically, the tower of Babel was nothing but a lavish story that people told each other as a means of explaining the "unexplainable".

Kid : "Father, why does that group of people from far away speak a strange lanaguage?"

Father : "Well, you see, when humans are spread across the earth and separated by vast distances, their isolated communities will work introspectively when it comes to langauge evolution and will use their own idiosyncracies as a means of language refinement and change and over time will shape and change the language such that it can be vastly different from a neighbouring or even parent language... "

Kid : .

Father : "Ok, man built this big tower, see? ..."

[edit on 20-4-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

One question that keeps popping up here is "what was god afraid of"

The story of Babel is a warning for us. We are warned to pay reverence for god. God gave us the ability to become god ourselves, but we were not to usurp his power. God may have feared usurpation but i think it is more likely that god was disgusted by mans lack of humility. If he was truly fearful then he never would have given us the power to become gods. As for the tower itself it was not meant for the sole purpose of reaching god, it was to show that we were as powerful as god.
But if the fear god has is of the people uniting then why would he have allowed them to unite in the first place?

It's a very interesting topic none the less.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

I'm sorry but how can you be so sure of that? How do you know that the story is truly a myth? Remember an absence of evidence does equate to evidence of absence. For all we know the tower could have been dissassembled and used to create other buildings. It could even be lost forever buried in layers of sand as deep as the marianas trench. Or it just simply has not been discovered yet. Do not forget that the city of troy was once called a myth as well. The most logical and rational stance would be to claim that we do not know what it's original purpose or intent was, and that we do not know if the tower existed or not.

Don't get me wrong, You still have a valid point in that the story may have been a mere explanation of how language and race came about. But to state that as a fact is bad science.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

That may be. But like i said before we can't really claim gnosis or claim to have scientific fact of the matter. In order for us to truly say " yes it is just a metaphor for man as gods" or " it was just used to describe how language and race came about" would require first-hand knowledge. We would have to have lived at that time period in the area where babel supposedly resided and to have witnessed the events place. The only thing that is likely here is that we do not know the full story from a spiritual or historical context. At best we can speculate.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

I agree with you - I'm not claiming what I describe is *the* answer.

All I'm saying is, logically speaking, using common sense, reason and what we already know about human culture, evolution and specifically in this case linguistics - my example is far more _likely_ a scenario.

I'm not saying it's 100% true or completely accurate, again, it's only my opinion, but it's based on my education and degree of study (language).

Hell, maybe Aliens diddled with our DNA, took some to Coruscant where we learned some form of Basic which is now English (highly unlikley as we can trace where English came from
)

EDIT : fyi, I didn't state things as facts, merely as my opinion and interpretation of what we know about language and its evolution. I don't believe in a religious God of any kind and what I do believe in, doesn't give a monkey's as to who you are or what you do or what you speak. It just "is".

[edit on 20-4-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation
Well I'm no biblical scholar or anything but my understanding is that the people so desired to be like God that they built the Tower of Babel to be closer to Him.

If they were building it to be 'close to Him' as you suggest...
...then why did they build it on a plain...
...why not build it on a mountain and get a head start?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
because you cant have a bunch of crazy people like us trying to colonize/destroy other civilizations in the universe/dimensions, etc

humanity was supposed to be a guardian race for this planet, i think we failed

we are pretty bad now and things are bad but things were even worse back then - democracy, personal freedoms, equal/property rights? ya right

it seems that the builders of the tower of babylon were being assisted by greater powers, satan, rebel annunaki, etc, and as stated previously; we are not evolved enough to join the more advanced races in any shape or form, or were not back then, and judgement was rendered from a higher hierarchy

some images i came across that may interest.. parallels between EU/babylon

and course the goals are similar.. and who knows probably the puppet masters are too

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Naeem82]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Why would the Lord not want a unified people that could accomplish great things? Why did this Lord and his cohorts feel so threatened that they destroyed the unity of the people?

lets look at context.

the garden of eden began a rebellion that God was about to permit for a period of time. at that point, noone knew how long God would permit this, but they did know that it wouldnt last forever (the seed bruises the serpent in the head represented jesus at some put dealing a deathblow to the rebel satan and his seed)

not very long before the tower of babel, God destroyed the wicked world of noah's day. In god's eye's this world was "ruined". this state of affairs was interfering with god's case against satan. how could satan's claims be proven not true if the world falls apart before the evidence is established?

the tower of babel may have been a giant event in human history that would have accelerated technology. imagine if they had the capabilities we have now back then. including the ability to destroy ourselves...

this would accelerate a plan that god doesnt want accelerated. why not?

one of the issues satan raised was God's righteousness in his rule.

gen 3:[4] And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

satan made it seem to eve that god was holding something back. why follow god's morals when you can make your own?

the problem is, human self rule is doomed to failure.

jer 10:[23] O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

it is so doomed that it would destroy us if God doesnt intervene

matt 24:[21] For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
[22] And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

if this is an inevitability, then God is going to want to delay this for however long he needs to to make his case.

since this rebellion has been permited for 6000+ years, we have seen every possible variation of government. and all have failed without a doubt to solve any of humans problems. since, god now has his case, then humans can go on without interference until God decides to end this rebellion.

isa 43:[9] Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth.
[10] Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
[11] I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.
[12] I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.

now we near the end of this rebellion. there is no reason to hold back technology. technology doesnt help mandkind (although it could if humans werent so selfish and self centered) if anything, technology has made this worse, not only do we have the ability to destroy ourselves in minutes, but we are destroying ourselves with pollution.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
the babel story is just a story, a moral tale, a metaphor, a myth...

the lessons to be learned were: cities of many people were always a negative result, only the shephardic lifestyle was preferable.
When men gather together in cramped living arrangements the baser instincts of men come to the fore... sometimes disguised as usefull & gainful enterprise, like universities
and on the obverse side of the coin the establishing of 'Mystery Schools' where decadent rituals might take place, also cults based on sex and drugs will always be found in cities.

An overseeing God, should only be Amused at the pointless building of a 'tower' to reach 'heaven' as the Gods would see the futility of such nonsense, he may have metaphorically confounded their common language as a way of disbursing the population to more pastoral places.
the lesson being more for the rural listeners conscience than for the scientific reasons to stop menkind from reaching for the sky/stars.

Tower of Babel & Noahas' Ark are similar vehicles to convey a message of moral conduct, and other spirituality & character building memes.
~of course we, by believing these tales as physically transpiring in the mundane world, are behaving exactly as the ancient Tower Builders were...living in a fiction state of mind, chasing unicorns and such... being anthropomorphically centered~

no matter how things change , they still remain the same

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

The Yahweh-led elohim were concerned with the same thing they were concerned with in the opening chapters of Genesis: that humans would realize their innate divinity, and their ability to "be like gods." This is one reason I worship Satan as my Lord, not the slave-driver, Yahweh.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by satanictemple

The Yahweh-led elohim were concerned with the same thing they were concerned with in the opening chapters of Genesis: that humans would realize their innate divinity, and their ability to "be like gods." This is one reason I worship Satan as my Lord, not the slave-driver, Yahweh.

If you have the innate divinity to be like god, why bother to worship anybody or anything? And why would you choose another invisible, imaginary character?

Suppose this "Lord" and his friends were actually just techno-crat elites that feared the people might find out the truth that they were just humans posing as god and working behind the scenes?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I believe a key part of understanding this story is to understand exactly what the tower of babel was. I've read a lot on it as it is an interesting subject to me.

As far as what man could do that would make the God(s) come down and take action the most compelling thing I have read is Time Travel or Inter-Dimensional travel, ie control over Time. Man could wreak some serious havoc with this power or ability. Perhaps the people of that time could not actually do the time travel - being one generation removed from the Flood they were probably a step behind still technologically - but they may have had a way to preserve the pre-flood knowledge. The knowledge that the fallen angels brought to earth prior to the flood.

The formatting on the site below is pretty poor but there are some interesting ideas as well as some translations of the original Scripture in it: Tower of Babel

I believe Time Travel is possible but is a technology man will not be allowed to control.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by satanictemple

If you have the innate divinity to be like god, why bother to worship anybody or anything? And why would you choose another invisible, imaginary character?

Suppose this "Lord" and his friends were actually just techno-crat elites that feared the people might find out the truth that they were just humans posing as god and working behind the scenes?

Many misunderstand the word worship and its connotations. It simply means "ascribing worth" to the object of worship. By worshiping Satan, I simply ascribe worth to the Dark Lord.

The innate divinity we all have has been hidden by the false god, Yahweh. By worshiping Satan, and allowing Him to teach us, we come to an awareness of the divinity within. We respect Him for this; therefore, worship.

I regret that the word "worship" has been mostly defined by groveling Christians.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The book of Isaiah 51 v 16 says something very interesting.... Is this Gods ultimate plan for man???

"And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens"

"Planting the heavens".........

Maybe we were just not ready for that yet....

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think we are seeing a story being told long after the true event.

Imagine a culture of people that were ahead of their time...and were the first to have a true city like structure. This draws other cultures to it for trading and what not. But there was much confusion amongst the groups, for they couldn't understand eachother for they all had different ways of communication. Later, the story and tale gets twisted that the languages were changed there at the city instead of the languages were already different.

All it would take is one of the groups to later write that their God must of confused the people by changing the languages since no one could understand each other there.

Stories change as they get passed on. Its not likely at all that a story comes to us really as it was without the writers adding their own agenda with it.

It could of been looked at as 'evil' in the fact that a people went to the 'city' but could not understand each other.

Then God gets the credit or blame, however you want to look at it. Back then God or Gods got the credit and blame for everything that was not understood. People explained things in ways they could understand or justify their confusion.

I once read that the words could also be translated as 'different skin' instead of 'different languages'.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Just my opinion....

To give a man free will and then have that man CHOOSE his divine destiny.

Eg. He could have just made a zombie race to do his work etc.. but he didnt, he gave us free will so we can choose to be with God or not. I guess he may have wanted people by his side / to follow him but only those who actually wanted to be there.

PS:
The serpent gave us free will not God, but who knows if he was planning to do it at some point and the serpent beat him to it.....The Great deception?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Always a good story. One of the most enigmatic stories we ever read or heard.

I have created a similar thread on this not too long ago. I think the whole humankind was able to communicate using telepathy. The "gods" cannot erase their languages and teach them new ones overnight.

What I think is that the humans were slaves to the "gods" (aliens) and they were working together to learn science, math, technology, etc and building something so grand that it scared the gods.

It could have been a rocket, a spacecraft, a teleporter, or whatever.

A slave can not be above or equal to his or her master.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Deaf Alien]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer84
PS:
The serpent gave us free will not God, but who knows if he was planning to do it at some point and the serpent beat him to it.....The Great deception?

there is a big difference between encouraging or deceiving someone into practicing free will, and giving free will

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join