It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just read someone's mind... incredible coincidence or something else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
My "reasonable" mind tells me that this must have just been an incredible coincidence, but at the same time I know that logically the odds of this happening by chance are far more absurd than there being some metaphysical or otherwise explanation on this event of unspoken communication of a thought/sentence.

Here's the general story, modified a little for anonymity:

The previous night my roomate was studying physics, and one problem was confusing since the equation he (and I) got wasn't what the solutions guide showed.

After sleeping, I was laying half awake in bed in the morning as my roommate was up getting ready for his early class. I was just about to drift off to sleep when I heard him say "I figured it out!" I sat up in bed, and said "What did you figure out?" He looked surprised, and said "... uh, I found what was wrong with how to solve the physics problem."

Later in the day he said, "wanna hear something kind of crazy?" "Remember when you said 'What did you figure out?'"
Me: "Yeah, what about it?"
Him: "Well, what did you hear me say before you asked that?"
Me: "You said 'I figured it out!', what do you mean?"
Him: "Here's the weird thing, I never said that. I thought those words in my head, and the instant I did, you sat up in bed and said 'What did you figure out?'"
Me: "What!?? Are you joking?"
Him: "I'm serious - I mean it must have been a coincidence, right? But it was still pretty weird.."

I quizzed him about this and basically he thought the exact phrase in his head and the EXACT instant he thought it I immediately sat up in bed, turned and said "What did you figure out?", which understandably freaked him him out, as he told me later. Of course I asked if he was absolutely sure he didn't inadvertently say it without thinking, and he is insistent that he did not say a single word.

Anyway I just thought I'd post this experience. I assure the reader that this event is 100% true, it's not a matter of whether these events happen in the world, it's just a question of why they happen. I'm typically skeptical of jumping to conclusions that aren't strictly scientific, but in this case I don't know.

I think everyone kind of has to experience something like this personally before they can believe it 100% - as it has been said before extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and while this experience is extraordinary evidence to me that something beyond our current generation of physical sciences can explain does exist, I cannot and do not expect it will be taken too seriously by anyone - I wouldn't really do so myself. But if this ever does happen to you, expect to experience a slight consciousness/reality shift when you come to realize that the truth isn't always quite what the common consensus/media concludes.

Or it could actually have all been a big coincidence... but doubtful because this is only part of the story. It gets weirder, but I won't explain much more publicly because I don't want any identifiable details.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Telepathy is possible. Happened to me all the time as a kid with key people. Through puberty I lost it, and the past couple years it's come and gone as I've been getting more health conscience. I notice to a degree, it happens more frequently when I'm careful with my diet and meditate more often.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ac500

Uh, I think he probably remembers the series of events incorrectly, which isn't uncommon.

If you disagree, then reproduce the results in a controlled experiment. If you're right, this shouldn't be difficult to do. Plus, you might be the first human being in history to demonstrate psychic abilities.. Seems like a pretty good incentive to see if your findings are legit.

Otherwise, I say forget about it, and stop thinking that you can do magical things

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
On the other hand perhaps you should check this thread out for some plausible explanations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can attest to many instances of "spousal telepathy" so it doesn't seem farfetched to me at all.

gj

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I've discovered that if i learn enough about a persons mental and emotional habits i can accurately predict what they will do and say in any given situation. This includes what they are thinking. I tried this on a friend of mine by just telling her what she was thinking when she learned something that made her a bit angry, she still hasn't quite forgiven me
My other friend, to whom i explained how i did is was fascinated and thought i was some sort of medium or psychic
and so far i haven't met anyone else who can do this.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
happens to me on a regular basis, and to some degree I can replicate it.

The way it works is this - someone asks me a certain type of question and if I answer immediately without thinking about it I get the right answer - example, the other day when my wife says you'll never believe who I saw at the supermarket. If I paused to think, it would be just a stab in the dark, but if I say the name that pops into my head it is usually right, as in this instance. And I could have had 1000 guesses and never got it right given the tenuous nature of whom she actually did see.

My 4 yr old daughter last week asked me to guess her friends middle name, I did the same thing and got it right. My familiy are stunned everytime I do this because it is the speed at which I reply, it's instantaneous which makes it sound as though *I really do know* the answer. It's quite amusing.

Try it yourself, it's hard to manufacture the scenario because as soon as you become aware that it is a test, the more pressure you feel and therefore less relaxed and less open. When the opportunity arises, don't think, just say!

Again could all be co-incidence, but if you try this you will be amazed how often you get it right.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have had a similar thing happen with my mother. I was in the car thinking about telling her something and she responded to my mental statement. After she responded, I said that I hadn't actually spoken anything and excitedly told her that I was only thinking it. Of course to this day I wonder if I actually did say something out loud
. I am pretty sure I didn't.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The same exact type of experiences have happened to my wife and I multiple times when our daughter was between the ages of 2-6. Shes 8 now and it hasnt really happened at all for the past two years, but seriously, I cant even count how many times it happened. I believe I even wrote a thread here about it

It was always like she heard us say something, and would reply with the answer or a question regarding what we just said. But just like you said, we never spoke anything aloud, but rather thought it in our head. It generally happened when you think something very clear in your head.

Ex: Wife thinking in head: "I should go to the store"
Daugher out loud: Can I come?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by S4murai

Interesting concept, I have been able to pull that off randomly a few time and I amaze myself every time. But like you said, it only happens when you answer immediately and with absolute certainty. Crazy coincidence or something more? Hard to say really...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
My wife and I do this quite often. At first I thought it was from being around each other so much that we could see what one was about to say by the facial expressions or read the eyes. However, sometimes we are not even in the same room.

Here is an example:

Two days ago, we had both finished working out. She showered, then me. While I was in the shower, I was thinking how exhausted I was and thought that some food from Pei Wei would be appetizing. When I got out of the shower, she was dresses and asked me if I wanted to go eat at Pei Wei (a place we had not eaten at nor mentioned to one another in weeks, if not months). What is really interesting is that we RARELY eat out, so it wasn't a scenario where we both picked the same place out of habit. And to deepen the plot a bit more; while driving to Pei Wei, I received a phone call from ,my best friend...he wanted to know if we wanted to go eat at Pei Wei

Coincidence? Probably.....but it happens a lot in my home.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
When I was a kid, a freind and I used to experiment sending thoughts to each other and found that with regularity we could often explain the image the other one was sending without being told in advance what the other person was thinking. Maybe thats because we were kids and our narrow wealth of shared experiences left little room for error.

I have also had random unintentional episodes of apparently connecting with or speaking a thought to someone elses mind without speaking. These episodes are usually very focussed experiences (yet random and unintentional) if that makes any sense.

Do a Google search on Ganzfeld experiments. There are some controlled experiments that have been done in this regard that are interesting.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Gibbon]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

That 's a good way to describe it. It's like what I was saying that my experiences were very focused. It's like pure knowing or intent that you almost accidentally do. This may be what some of the Monks and Martial artists acheive more regularly through meditation.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
When I was younger, I could guess the song on the radio before turning the radio on. It only happened when I wasn't trying to do it. I would just start singing a song on the way to the car and as soon as the radio came on I would already be singing along with it. Freaked my friends out every time it happened. It doesn't happen anymore. It was probably just a strange coincidence but it happened a lot.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Th random nature of these things seems to be pretty common. I'd like to start a thread on this once I get enough posts b/c I have had similar random yet focussed and out of the ordinary experiences of affecting my physical environment with a heavy intention or knowing.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Most of my experiences have been reading peoples minds and knowing what they were going to say a few seconds before they said it.

It's like when you think, and your about to say it that you are 'releasing' your thoughts in some form, and that I just so happened to pick up on them.

I'll be like... somehow I knew you were going to say that.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
When I was younger, I could guess the song on the radio before turning the radio on. It only happened when I wasn't trying to do it. I would just start singing a song on the way to the car and as soon as the radio came on I would already be singing along with it. Freaked my friends out every time it happened. It doesn't happen anymore. It was probably just a strange coincidence but it happened a lot.

I have done this on several occasions. The first time it was a TV music channel. The TV was off, I was singing a song, then my Dad came in and switched the TV on and there was the song. Not only that, but I was singing it precisely in time and tune if you know what I mean.
All other instances have just been me knowing which song is about to come on, and I don't listen to the radio often. More importantly, I don't listen to stations that endlessly repeat the same songs.

Also, when I was a lot younger, before puberty had taken a hold, my cousin and I would say the exact same thing at the same time on maybe three occasions that I can remember, but only ever in her house, like one of us knew what the other one was about to say and decided to beat one another to the punchline.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think we ALL have to potential to use telepathy..what Im really saying is, I believe we are SUPPOSED to be able to do this..but for whatever reasons..humans have been.."dumbed down".

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by ac500

Uh, I think he probably remembers the series of events incorrectly, which isn't uncommon.

If you disagree, then reproduce the results in a controlled experiment. If you're right, this shouldn't be difficult to do. Plus, you might be the first human being in history to demonstrate psychic abilities.. Seems like a pretty good incentive to see if your findings are legit.

Otherwise, I say forget about it, and stop thinking that you can do magical things

First of all, I don't think I can do magical things. The idea that maybe he really did say it and just had a brain slip or something was my first thought, because I recalled hearing him say it in my half-asleep state. But he was insistent that he did NOT say anything at all aloud.

Obviously this isn't proof - nothing here is proof of anything. As to reproducing in a controlled experiment, if you read my post (or title), you'll notice that I clearly said this was a very unusual case for me. I doubt I could reproduce it anywhere on demand, let alone as an experiment -- assuming there're anything to this at all to begin with.

Trust me, if I ever develop some psychic ability, Ill be sure to prove it scientifically. As it is now however, this is just one of those weird happenings you experience and talk about casually and wonder about. I'm not making any claims, other than the fact that whatever happened was certainly out of the ordinary.

Also like I said, just this alone is only part of the story. Things are starting to add up, and while there are still far more pieces of the puzzle missing than not - Ill just say that human consciousness is more powerful than most people are aware. Very much is connected.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
My daughter and I do a similar thing all the time. We say exactly the same thing at the same time, and although sometimes it can be something predictable, e.g. we are watching a tv show together and therefore are both thinking the same thing about it, but at other times it can be something totally random that neither of us have previously discussed and we just simultaneously say the same thing! We always used to say "whoa - that was spooky" but now we just shrug as it's not so surprising anymore, but we're both still fascinated that we seem to be able to telepathically communicate like that.

Other people have witnessed us doing it as well and have asked us it we planned it, because the simultaneous words are just so random, but I can assure you, we both have far better things to do than sit around planning to say exactly the same thing at the same time just to freak people out

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ac500

A scientist would say that there is a tachyon entanglement between 4 points of the molecules between 2 people in synchronicity. Quantuam dynamics.

A psi enabled person would say that is a natural ability.

Reconcile both sides and anything is possible.

just learn to filter the "voices" and you'll be OK

HADES

top topics

join