It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children flee as quake hits Kalgoorlie

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

Hey Neighbour

Im in Kal too and it woke me up and scared the hell outa my puppies!!. I posted about it yesterday in quake watch thread though. Quake Watch 2010 Thread

Over the last 6 yrs in Kalg we have been getting regular quakes but nothing over 3.3. Usually 2ish, They always seem to happen around this time of year as well. This one was different to the rest, the shaking went for about 30 secs, I live in CBD Kalgoorlie and my house is double brick and still everything was moving.

There were aftershocks last night that felt the same as our regualr quakes, as there are about 100 odd underground mines around Kalgoorlies immediate area we do have a lot of movement and many houses have visible cracks in roofs etc just from movement and daily blasting ion the area.

Gladly we are moving soon and hopefully it will be before a worse one happens.

have the best day
themuse

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dallas18

Would you say recently the number of earth quakes here have increased? I have only really paid attention to earthquakes over the past few years here as I am in my early 20s, but it does seem quite unusual recently. I am trying to find a graph of Australias history with quakes but only find this link, here, but I think that increase in the graph is probably due to the internet news boom.

As for the mining remark, quite strange indeed. But considering the size of the mining industry out there, if it was the cause.. somehow, I doubt they would admit it.

yes and us Planet X/Nibiru theorists believe Nibiru is the cause of the earthquakes and Katla about to erupt.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by airvicemarshal
This is particularly serious. This is not on an obvious plate boundary.

What is going on with this world?

Some of us believe it is planet X or Nibiru causing it. NASA did find a brown dwarf system near our neck of the woods and called it Nemesis. Nibiru could be a part of that system.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I find the planet x and nibiru theories interesting, but for me, the jury's still out. I haven't really found any information that would convince me those theories have much truth in them. But I do like to keep an open mind, so... Yeah maybe there is something out there causing trouble for us, I don't know.
I just read this thread though lol, so the prognosis isn't looking good

But what I'm concerned about in regards to this earthquake, is that mining was involved and what would that mean for Kalgoorlie. Especially because Kalgoorlie is regarded as 'the mining capital of Australia' and a lot of money is made here. I guess I'm wondering what the big mining companies will do if it turns out mining had anything to do with this quake.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

reply to post by ANNED

reply to post by n o o d l z

reply to post by djcubed

reply to post by Village Idiot

Thanks for posting info!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker8300

Wow, that sucks. At least it wasn't a big one. I can't imagine being in one of those really big ones like the one in China, it would be pretty horrible. I'm glad that the one we experienced here, wasn't that bad, all things considered.

reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by Thurisaz

what are you talking about melbourne has been hit by more earthquakes in 1 year than in the last 5.

Really? Didn't know that, hmm

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by themuse

I was wondering how you were when I first saw this on the news. Glad to see your A-OK themuse!

Your mate, IRM

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

Originally posted by PennyQ
Firstly, we are allowed to speculate on the usual or unusuality of earthquakes if we wish.
This is the nature of the human being, to question and hopefully be answered by someone a little more in the know than we are.

Yes, one of the main reasons I posted this thread (other than it being news) was because I was wondering what it all meant, and I was hoping that some people who knew more about earthquakes and all, would hopefully be able to help out with info somehow.

Secondly, if you don't find anything new or important in these threads then you are not reading them properly.

A 5.0 is quite important here in Australia as we don't get them very often.

Yeah that it is, and I believe it's even more important because there is speculation that mining might have something to do with it.

Btw, I really like your avatar! Is that a Stargate??

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

Originally posted by Village Idiot

Yes it was big, you couldn't stand, power lines were making "whipping noises" and my little Datsun 180B bounced around and, at one point, stood on two wheels!

what made things worse, what we found out months later, was there where actually 2 Earthquakes, one sparked off the other.
I don't know much about them, but apparently they travel in "waves" and we ended up with 2 crossing each other, creating a worsened affect, right underneath were we lived, well that was the "experts" comments anyway.

Holy cow, that sounds scary! I'm glad the one here wasn't that big!

Interesting side note, Farmers couldn"t round up the Sheep and Cattle that morning before it happened, they were all huddled in a corner scared,

Wow, that's interesting. So, they knew it was coming??

Well I never did find out the truth if the Mill contributed to it or not, only that after they changed the system (injecting water back) in 1995, no more regular Earthquakes...... coincidence?

Lol, well that doesn't sound too good! It sounds a bit conspiracy-ish to be honest

Maybe this ties into the Mines in Kalgoorlie or not, I'm no expert.
To me, removing Geothermal "pressure" would change things underground, possibly on a large scale, were as digging holes in the ground and causing earthquakes doesn't make sense, unless the Mines collapsed.

Maybe a Member on ATS with a better understanding of Earth Science could comment here.

Yeah I'm hoping I can get some more info from people who actually have a better understanding of how it all works. Apparently there are still some people (I.e Kevin McCue - President of the Australian Earthquake Engineering Society, Adjunct Professor at CQUniversity and Director of the Australian Seismological Centre - link) saying the mining had a part to play, so... Yeah, not sure what to think. There still conducting studies, so I suppose it'll be awhile 'til we know for sure.

EDIT: haha I forgot to put in the other half of my post

[edit on 22/4/2010 by Sparkly_Eyed777]

[edit on 22/4/2010 by Sparkly_Eyed777]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
From a different angle folks maybe" boring" but here it is.
From the age of seventeen to twenty three I worked in the coal mines of central western NSW,Australia.
I escaped being buried alive and instantly I guess crushed to death by eight seconds when an already mined section of mine collapsed after we walked past the point of collapse.
My point is when you remove something from beneath the earth something gives.
Two years or so later after this incident the town ten kms from the mine suffered a significant easrthquake and several aftershocks, during the first earth quake I was about to descend the mine drift in a dolly car.
The crux is Mines create weaknesses in the earths upper crust.
The earthquake in Kalgoorie is due to mining.
As an aside we miners used to regularly find fossils of fish underground(this mine was almoat 1000 meters above sea level.
Their scales were imprinted into lumps of coal.
Mess with the Earth and take away, and the Earth will respond.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by themuse

Originally posted by themuse

Hey Neighbour

Im in Kal too and it woke me up and scared the hell outa my puppies!!. I posted about it yesterday in quake watch thread though. Quake Watch 2010 Thread

Nice to see someone else from Kal here on ATS
. I had a look at the thread, it's pretty interesting seeing all the quakes that have happened this year and where.

There were aftershocks last night that felt the same as our regualr quakes,

Did you feel the one the other day?

link

Aftershock jolts Kalgoorlie-Boulder

Kalgoorlie-Boulder is continuing to rattle from aftershocks, four days after a magnitude 5.0 earthquake struck the region and left buildings along Boulder's historic main street with serious structural damage.

Since the earthquake struck about 8.15am on Tuesday, with an epicentre believed to be about 10km south-west of the city, there have been three aftershocks recorded by Geoscience Australia.

Last night, a 2.8 magnitude quake struck south of Kalgoorlie just before midnight, following a 2.6 magnitude quake in Kalgoorlie itself about 6am.

About 2am on April 21, a 2.6 magnitude quake was recorded south of Kalgoorlie.

Lol, it seems like they're getting bigger! I hope we don't get another big one, although it probably wouldn't be as big as the first, but still..

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
I escaped being buried alive and instantly I guess crushed to death by eight seconds when an already mined section of mine collapsed after we walked past the point of collapse.

Wow, that was lucky!

My point is when you remove something from beneath the earth something gives.
Two years or so later after this incident the town ten kms from the mine suffered a significant easrthquake and several aftershocks, during the first earth quake I was about to descend the mine drift in a dolly car.
The crux is Mines create weaknesses in the earths upper crust.
The earthquake in Kalgoorie is due to mining.

Hmm, very interesting. There are a lot of tunnels under Kal so I don't know maybe some thing similar may have happened here??

I read something interesting about where the earthquake happened saying it happened close to the super pit. link

Vic Dent is an Honorary Research Associate in geology at University of Western Australia and former seismologist with Geoscience Australia.

"Geoscience Australia and the USGS made preliminary locations of this earthquake, but the Australian centre for Geomechanics on Perth already had instruments in the area, monitoring the background activity, and have made an accurate location of the earthquake - this has since been passed on to Geoscience Australia.

The AGC location puts the earthquake under South Boulder, which explains why the damage seems to be concentrated there. The earthquake was not 10 - 20 km or more from Kalgoorlie as initially reported

The event is very close to the super pit.

So yeah, very interesting. I also read in one of the articles that I've linked to in this thread (forget which one) that it'll take like 2 weeks or 2 months or something like that, to determine whether or not the mining contributed to the earthquake.

So I guess I'll just leave this thread now, no use posting anything else lol. Maybe when the results are released and if it's found mining did contribute, I'll make a thread for the info, or someone else can. I think it'd turn out to be very interesting and I wonder what the mining companies will do if this turns out to be the case??

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join