It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Photocopiers Loaded With Secrets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

Where I work our copiers have a setting that lets you set how much "back data" to store....you can set it to one day...or 60 days...whatever you want.

I set all our copiers to store data for one day only when they are setup on their first day....that way it never gets out of control.

AG

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Plus, with the the new hotness being home wifi all in ones, what you need is to pass by, crack the signal and download all the archived content for your personal perusal. Kinkos and the like have contributed a great many documents that were scanned, printed or copied from their machines by people in an attempt at anonymity to law enforcement and court proceedings resulting in punishments.

Cameras above can't see what you are hovering over holding face down, but the machine tells them the rest of the story from the bottom up. Add in built in camera images captured when you use cards to combat id/credit fraud/theft and you got a pretty damning case if one needs to be raised against you..

[edit on 4/20/2010 by LockwithnoKey]

[edit on 4/20/2010 by LockwithnoKey]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LockwithnoKey

so true, with the wifi I bet some gov agency has already used this and the publics ignorance to the fact of there even being a hard drive against people!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I didn't know that they had hard drives either. I guess one point would be so an employer could recover data that has been copied, or keep an eye one what the employees are doing maybe? A little unnecessary though.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have been to several Ricoh / Savin copy machine schools in the past. Repaired them for several years.

There is nothing nefarious about hard drives in the copier / fax. Most of them are hooked up to a network and have a built in print server. With the print server comes a hard drive. Its no different from a computer hard drive. If you have sensitive stuff on your computer you would wipe it out before you sell it or throw it out. You can do the same thing with the copier.
If you have a savin / ricoh and you want access to the areas where only the techs go hit the yellow button then type 107 on the keypad. Then hold the orange button down till it gives you acess.
Thats the service mode. Lots of fun settings in there.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

thanks for the info!!!
might come in handy sometime in the near future

top topics

<< 1   >>

join