It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer wants a ban on airlines charging for carryon luggage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Recently Spirit Airlines announced a plan to charge passengers for carry-on baggage that is too big to fit under the seat. The proposed fees would range from $20 to $45.

US Senator Chuck Schumer, D-NY, however, is outraged with what he calls "nickle and diming" of passsengers. He proposes a ban on any such charges:

LaHood isn’t the only public-sector lifer carrying on about Spirit’s carry-on policy. New York Senator Charles Schumer squawks that the new fee “is a slap in the face to travelers.’’ He declares that passengers have the right to bring a carry-on aboard “without having to worry about getting nickeled and dimed.’’ Schumer is pushing legislation to ban airlines from charging for carry-ons. “I think it will go through the Senate and House like a hot knife through butter,’’ he predicts.

www.boston.com...

Is this the act of a Senator that is concerned with the general public? Or is it the act of a person throwing his weight around and sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong?

Hmmm...Let's see what others think:

Maybe it will. But if Schumer grieves so deeply about travelers being “nickeled and dimed’’ when they fly, why has he never gone after the US ticket tax, which adds 7.5 percent to the price of every domestic flight? Or the $16.50 the federal government charges for each international departure and arrival? Or the $17 in customs and inspection fees paid by passengers flying into US airports from abroad? Or the “passenger facilities charges’’ (up to $18 per round-trip)? Or the “US Security Service Fee’’ ($2.50 per departure)? Or the “domestic segment fee’’ ($3.70 per flight segment)? The government’s unremitting “nickeling and diming’’ of airline passengers doesn’t trouble the sleep of New York’s senior senator. Only when a private firm acts does he toss and turn in anguish.

To me, it's the latter. Schumer has no business getting involved in free markets. I say, let the market sort it out. If people don't want to pay the fee, they don't have to fly Spirit. Five airlines have alreeady pledged to not follow Spirit's fees, so they will slowly and surely siphon customers away, and Spirit will fade into nothing.

Schumer's act reminds me of when the US Senate held hearings on the use of steroids in major league baseball. That too was none of their business, and they should have stayed out of that, too.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
WTF?!?!

One airline does this and some want the Govt to ban such a practice in a supposedly free market driven economy?

I just don't get it. Don't want to pay a fee for a carry on bag? Don't get a Spirit Air ticket....it's pretty simply. The market should dictate if it is a good business decision.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As annoying as it is, I believe it's the airline's choice if they want to charge for it. I worked at a hotel and we charged a safe fee even if you didn't use your safe, thats even more ridiculous. Not all airlines will do it because people will flock to the ones that dont add on this charge.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Agree with both of you.

The more the goverment intrudes and inserts itself into our lives, the worse off we'll be. All laws like this one do is fertilize the fields of corruption. Cases like this are a lobbyist's dream.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Personally I think your ticket should be based on weight. The airlines should weigh every person on the flight and charge accordingly. Smaller planes do it all the time. I am so tired of some fat ass buying one seat only to spill over into whoever they sit beside and carry on a huge bag that should have been checked.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think we should ban Schumers reading glasses. I get so sick of seeing him look over them while smugly declaring something that only serves his self interest.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Oh Shillary, but it is not a free market -

Not sure why people like the shaft if it is corporate in nature -

I will cry for them and be very angry next time I do not have to pay on top of my ticket.

But I am sure we are all happy we can only use cash onboard the plane, love that dictate,
I NEED to have credit and a card to get some grub

I enjoy market dictating my freedom!

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf
I think we should ban Schumers reading glasses. I get so sick of seeing him look over them while smugly declaring something that only serves his self interest.

Well dude you should try flying, then it can be in your interest too

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Well Stanky Red I travel for business and have I've already flown to Santa Barbara, Omaha, Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Savannah this year. And good job to the moron that starred you for your comment.

Its just another example of these arrogant jackasses taking over a free market system.

I say let the market play itself out. If the consumer doesnt want to fly with them because of how they conduct business then they can go somewhere else.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

Schumer is a perfect argument for term limits. He is totally self-serving. How he manages to get re-elected is beyond me, except that maybe it's because he's from NY, a very blue state.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by mishigas]

join