It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan's president signs law to surrender powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Pakistan's president signs law to surrender powers

www.earthtimes.org

'It is my privilege to undo the undemocratic laws of the undemocratic rulers of the country,' he said in his brief remarks, as guests broke into rapturous applause.

A constitutional reform committee, set up in 2008, held 77 meetings and sifted through over 800 proposals from civil society to formulate the consensus amendments.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Analysts said that the unprecedented unity shown by the lawmakers would help the country show greater unity against the threat of militancy and extremism.

With Pakistan making such broad reaching Democratic moves, and the standing down of that country's totalitarian laws should be an example for the United States to follow.

While the U.S. still possesses more freedoms than a majority of the World, it still has alot of work to do in maintaining that status, and enhancing it.

www.earthtimes.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
OMG
is this for real ???

Are we to expect the same from Obama
here shortly???

As this would put a lid on the whole
Patriot movement.

I cant believe what I'm reading

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well this is a good thing for Pakistan.

Several years ago their dictator sacked many judges and opposition members and I believe he past laws against them.

This is a very small step in repairing a country fractured by violent politics, assassinations and military coups.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Good for Pakistan.

As for everyone else hoping for change in the States, you have to remember, the U.S. is the greatest form of democracy. What I mean by this is that when people think of democracy, it is synomynous with the U.S. So if anything, other countries will model new or reformed democracies on the U.S.

Pretty much, the American democracy is perceived as the only model of democracy in the Middle East. That being said, other democracies that probably work better (Canada) are forgotten about.

Also, why in the world would the American President sign off on giving away powers? Pakistan is screwed up. Their President's moving towards a more Americanized democracy because of it. I realize the problems in the States, but there are much more fundamental goods about American democracy than bad. For this reason, no American President has any obligation to lose powers.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
A star and a flag -

This is important in many ways and will no doubt have far reaching impacts in the area as well as with US activities there.

For those asking if it is true - it is. Very little MSM coverage of it though a few

Another good article on it below..

economictimes.indiatimes.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkspARCS

While the U.S. still possesses more freedoms than a majority of the World, it still has alot of work to do in maintaining that status, and enhancing it.

Ummmm, nowadays, you cant even be black without getting arrested...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
CNN picked this up too, not in an official news release, but posted on the news blog “This Just In”.

Pakistani president voluntarily limits his powers

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wow. This is awesome. I wish other leaders had even half the integrity Pakistan's President has. I believe this is a step in the right direction and will hopefully curb the extremism in the country.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

The timing of this seems a bit interesting. I may be completely reading into this, but the proximity in time to the recent nuclear summit strikes me as odd.

new topics

top topics

join