It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrisy Alert: Democrats refuse to pay their INTERNS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
From your FOX link:

Unpaid internships are considered legal only if they are truly structured educational experiences for the benefit of the intern rather than the company and offer no promise of a job after the internship ends.

Labor lawyers argue that businesses need to review what they ask interns to do.

"If they're performing administrative tasks, clerical tasks, answering phones, getting copies – things that would otherwise displace a regular employee, then the Department of Labor may find that to be more looking like an employee than an intern," said Kara Maciel, a labor attorney at Epstein, Becker and Green, adding that those internships should be paid.

So they aren't saying that every internship needs to be a paid one, but that in some cases where companies in the private sector or otherwise are using interns in replacement of employees' they may be required to pay them.

They are asking businesses to make sure the tasks of the interns don't fall under such a category.

In other words, there seems to be some concern over some inters being exploited and not directly working in the capacity required for the beneficial purposes of further education and experience. Instead they may be considered "unpaid workers" there for the benefit of the employer only and at the expense of a displaced worker.

I've seen interns in the past come in to work in a graphic design capacity and end up just running around at the whim of employees doing every menial thing but focusing on what they were specifically there for.

This however does not mean Democrats are insisting that all internships should be paid nor does it have anything to do with the minimum wage.

Your title is misleading a bit.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hey, Lee what FOX link are you talking about?

Maybe you can also infer to me how my title is wrong when the democrats that were interviewed in that video ,where the interns are clearly doing grunt employee work and aren't learning anything educational, will not pay their interns.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

[edit on 20-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
Hey, Lee what FOX link are you talking about?

Sorry.

Your article link references a link to FOX news in the first sentence and paragraph.
I should have been more specific.

I read both of them.

Maybe you can also infer to me how my title is wrong when the democrats that were interviewed in that video ,where the interns are clearly doing grunt employee work and aren't learning anything educational, will not pay their interns.

I said your title was misleading a bit, not wrong.

First it should be stated that people who would fall under the category of an exploitative employer can be of ANY political party.

The crackdown is not geared toward one political party over another.
It would be foolish to assume that a Democrat could not be guilty of such abuses. The crackdown is for those employers exploiting interns at the expense of a displaced worker and the intern. That point is quite clear in the FOX article at least (and surprisingly).

Your title seems to indicate that all Democrats are being hypocritical for refusing to pay their interns when none of them stated that all interns should be paid.

Your article seems to also present the idea that because Democrats have pushed to raise the minimum wage, they should pay their interns too. I don't see the connection there or the hypocrisy.

For example:

Sen. John Kerry, who supported incrementally raising the minimum wage from $5.15 in 2007 to $7.25 in 2009, benefits directly from labor provided by unpaid interns.

“It’s no secret that good wages result in increased productivity, ultimately improving a firm’s bottom line and economic development in their community,” Kerry said in a 2007 press release. “In fact, the last time Congress raised the minimum wage, our country experienced the strongest economic growth in decades.”

A Kerry staffer insisted that internships are an invaluable experience for those who volunteer for the positions.

“I believe internship is an experience that comes before employment,” said Kerry spokeswoman Whitney Smith. “I was an intern here, and I had an incredible experience, and it led me to the job I have today.”

Read more: dailycaller.com...

This is presented as if to be in contradiction yet it makes absolute sense and is completely logical. Now if Kerry was pushing for all interns to be paid a minimum wage then I would have an issue with his statement but as it is, what he said makes perfect sense.

The minimum wage increases were NOT for student internships and mostly geared at those people working low wage jobs for a living not for student credit. Interns are gaining experience to move forward in their career path. Apparently that Kerry Spokeswoman (former intern Whitney Smith) did.

Or this statement from Pelosi...

“It is wrong to have millions of Americans working full-time and year-round and still living in poverty,” Pelosi said at the time.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

...doesn't seem to apply to student interns and is obviously aimed at the lower class Americans. I doubt most interns would even fall under that category.

Regarding your videos, you state that:

where the interns are clearly doing grunt employee work and aren't learning anything educational, will not pay their interns.

How do you know exactly what it is they are learning?
Are there any interviews with the actual interns?

Your videos gave no real specifics on what their tasks were.

When were they made?
I'm just curious if any of these details in them are even still relevant.

- Lee

top topics

<< 1   >>

join