It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrisy Alert: Democrats refuse to pay their INTERNS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The congressional Democrats take the cake on this next story.

Democrats who insisted on minimum-wage laws refuse to pay interns Read more: dailycaller.com...

As President Obama’s Labor Department considers cracking down on private businesses that reward interns with credit rather than cash, Capitol Hill teems with unpaid interns who keep lawmakers’ offices running.

Interns perform a variety of important office tasks, including answering phones, leading constituent tours, and running errands. Many receive academic credit for their work as a part of their undergraduate or graduate studies, according to staff officials.

But top-ranking congressional Democrats, including those who pushed hard for legislation that raised the minimum wage in 2007, say they’re still comfortable with not paying interns who work in their offices.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi also strongly supported the 2007 minimum wage bill bill.

“It is wrong to have millions of Americans working full-time and year-round and still living in poverty,” Pelosi said at the time.

Interns in the press office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi work as many as 32 hours per week, according to Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly.

“They know going into this that this is an internship,” Daly said. “They are doing this to get experience with how things work on the Hill, to see how Washington works, and to be a part of it. They really enjoy it.”

These following video clips are a little older but shows you how far back their HYPOCRISY goes.

So what is the moral to be found here? Is it okay to demonize private corporations who offer more true life experience than the buttocks kissing & backroom deal experience these two will ever provide.

NOVEMBER HERE WE COME

EDITED to change Title, More to the point.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

[edit on 19-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Where are all of my democratic friends? I thought one of you might want to prove me wrong on this.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

You do know what an internship is right?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Last I knew it was an opportunity to prostitute yourself to executives who believe they are better than you without pay. And if youre lucky one of them might groom you to be a better than executive so you can have your own free, "young and dumb" prostitutes one day.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Precisely!

Some companies have paid internships but as far as I am aware most if not all Senate and House internships from either party are non-paid.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

To answer your One Liner sarcasm:

I guess you didn't read the article or watch the videos and formatted your reply from just my title.

Let me find some cliff notes for you,

As President Obama’s Labor Department considers cracking down on private businesses that reward interns with credit rather than cash, Capitol Hill teems with unpaid interns who keep lawmakers’ offices running.

The group that is wanting for all internships to be paid internships with services compensated with cash is denying its on interns the same opportunity.

Though I do recommend reading the entire article and supplementing it with the videos.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Heh, what you fail to grasp is that your attempt to politicize what is a cross party practice is transparent and flawed.

I did read the "article" and it is just another stupid and disingenuous attempt to poke at the other side ... meh, same crap different day from either party's little soldiers ...

And so it goes.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It very well might be a cross party issue and in no way can I politicize something that the above to have already done. I am merely presenting the evidence of such hypocrisy that one side has taken as a badge of honor.

Though I do find it humerous that in face of the evidence presented you still call it a...

Heh, what you fail to grasp is that your attempt to politicize what is a cross party practice is transparent and flawed.

I did read the "article" and it is just another stupid and disingenuous attempt to poke at the other side ... meh, same crap different day from either party's little soldiers ...

And so it goes.

So threads without evidence, threads without evidence is just the other side throwing dirt.

You Sir are a Hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Agreed...It has been a practice employed by all sides of politics since time began....

And more to the point, this thread was only made in order to engage in political trolling/baiting

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

signature
Long live Hamas & the Palestinian People !!
Deny Israeli terrorism !! "Viva La Figa !!" - Valentino Rossi
Have you kissed an atheist recently ??

With a signature like yours, I am sure you are very un-biased in this situation. Thank you for you input.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

I am merely presenting the evidence of such hypocrisy that one side has taken as a badge of honor.

Wait a minute ... are you saying that politicians are hypocrites?

You sir, may consider me floored!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
What utterly irrelevant trivial tosh!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I guess we both found something to agree on.

Line 2

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
reply to post by Retrovertigo

signature
Long live Hamas & the Palestinian People !!
Deny Israeli terrorism !! "Viva La Figa !!" - Valentino Rossi
Have you kissed an atheist recently ??

With a signature like yours, I am sure you are very un-biased in this situation. Thank you for you input.

My pleasure

Thankyou for kindly allowing me the opportunity to post on your incredibly important and ground-breaking thread...

I really am honoured and so very grateful to be given an opportunity such as this...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Is this like what we have in uk, i.e work experience, when you are at school you work somewhere for a few weeks.

Is this the american version, or what is an internship for us non usa people?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
An internship is when College/University work for a company in their field of study and receive education credits toward graduation or are compensated monetarily. Eventually some of the companies that offer these internships go on to hire their well qualified and over achieving interns.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Internships are unpaid... The people who become interns know the deal before they start....

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Internships are unpaid... The people who become interns know the deal before they start....

I don't know if you had a chance to read further past the title or watch the videos.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

How long is the job, in uk we have to work for 2 weeks i think when i was at school. We call it work experience here.

Is an internship longer then?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

It can depend, Can be from couple of weeks, months, to years. It would all depend on the type of program you are with and area of study/field you are in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join