It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using a bow in a post-apocalyptic world

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I hunt with both gun and bow for whitetail. It doubles my hunting time, and where I hunt there is zero functional pressure during bow season.

I cannot really envision a home-defense situation where a bow could be decisive.

But I want to add that the old saw that archery "lacks penetration" comes from people who have not seen what a hunting arrow can do to a mammal's anatomy. Hunting broadheads are literally made from razor blades, and are often impossible to pull out without multiplying the damage to tissue. It is quite common for a 50-pound bow to shoot an arrow that breaks bones, even the spine, on its way through a buck's body.

The question is, always, regarding accuracy. I heart or lung shot from either bow or rifle will down even the biggest buck. And depending on the individual shot, a buck can run up to a hundred yards EVEN when shot through the heart by either method. Ask a rifle hunter if he has ever had to track a buck he hit, and see what answer you get.

I belive a bow is absolutely KEY for a survival situation, because it is silent. Any deer hunter can tell you that in areas with hunting pressure, other hunters will often move to where you are shooting, in hopes of getting any deer you spook or miss.

Picture what it will be like in a survival situation, in a scenario where the government has outlawed both hunting and guns, and everyone is a poacher. A 22 is another key hunting item, but it wont down a buck. Yet even a simple bow will, with appropriate practice. And a bow will bring down small game, just like a 22, but without any noise.

I can picture a situation where you are literally afraid to make any noise or burn any wood, for fear of who will follow your signal. City dwellers have no idea the extant to which they are surrounded by constant droning. But if all the leaf-blowers and a/c units one day fall silent, and people open their windows to let in the fresh air again, they will hear and smell everything. They will smell meat cooking a mile away (you can in the country), and they'll hear a 22 going off a quarter of a mile away on a still night. I've heard a pellet-gun that far.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
After reading this I looked a bit into bows, I definitely want to get one asap. Anyone have any estimates on how much a good one would cost? Some people were saying 200$ and over is a good bow, but for some reason I feel like they'd be more in the 700$+ range.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join