It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City wants to nip tobacco use in the butt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

On the contrary, banning the USE of all of these substances is PRECISELY the point!

If, as you say, cigarettes are instrusive to others when smoked (and I agree with you that second hand smoke is extremely intrusive and dangerous) then why doesn't the government ban the MANUFACTURE of these horrible products?

What sense does it make to allow dangerous substances to be manufactured and shelved for consumption if there are laws that say "you can't use those, either publicly or privately" - why make them in the first place?

My question is, why isn't government telling big tobacco that they can't poison the U.S. market supply with dangerous, cancer-producing products, but instead they WILL tell law abiding citizens what they can and cannot consume??? Do you think it has anything to do with contributions from said companies lining political pockets?

[edit on 20-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
An introduction to ..

I’m William Campbell Douglass I.I., M.D. I’ve been called “the conscience of modern medicine,” and the National Health Federation voted me “Doctor of the Year.”

But, I’ve also been labeled a “maverick”, and several less flattering names too, by some of the biggest names in the government and health establishments – but, hey, that’s part of the territory. And my territory is everywhere…

•I’ve flown with US Navy crews as a flight surgeon…
•Saved lives as a long-time emergency physician…
•Battled malaria in bullet-torn regions of Central America…
•Fought deadly epidemics at my own health clinic in Africa…
•Worked alongside doctors at Russia’s renowned Pasteur Institute…
•I’ve even been called before Congress (they never asked me back)…

douglassreport.com...

Who may already be well known to you, has written a report on smoking that has this to say about it. He is doing independant research, and to my knowing is not working for tobacco companies. In short, he's calling the industry machine out, and rounds out the lies perpetrated against smoking. An interesting read. I'm not advertising if he's selling, this is for information only.

www.web-purchases.com...

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

OH F**** them! They need to first get the drugs, gangs, thieves, and meth labs out of that city first!!!!!! That is one of the Worst areas of florida, brooksville!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chicken_Bone
reply to post by SaturnFX

Obama is a Liberal, right?

Pelosi is a Liberal right?

Reid is a Liberal right?

Well they just made a huge government expansion when they forced through this healthcare bill. So is that what you mean by Liberals being for smaller government?

Look show me some proof that any conservative is worried about people smoking in their own house, or thinking government should do a deodorent check on their employees and we can talk further.

MY MOM!!!!

Second line.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

I can agree one million percent.

I, for one, can run faster and longer than most nonsmokers. Granted, I was even better before I smoked, but the way its portrayed is that if you smoke, not only do you die, you take out everyone else near you by virtue of secondhand smoke. A virtual suicide bomber, without the reality, of course.

I don't advise anyone to smoke, yet if a person wants to, when they want to, that should be their prerogative. Handing kids at a daycare cigars and making them smoke them is flatout irresponsible. Telling adults that they are forbidden to use legal substances, especially on their own time and in their own personal property, is just as irresponsible.

4 years ago they banned smoking in bars in my state. I've been to a bar to drink maybe 20 times in that period. Just because of the anti-smoking propaganda. Certainly, its rules like these that punish everyone, whether you want to admit it or not.

If anything, fastfood and alcohol and prescription drugs do more harm than anything. It is only correct to whine about smokers and drunk drivers. People who develop diabetes from extremely poor diets based on fastfood or even GMo foods are exempt from criticism (and taxation for that matter). People who die from improperly prescribed medication are reduced to waiting for that commercial on tv for the ever popular class action lawsuit going on at the time. Drugs that FDA approved in the first place.

The way it works now is that once a precedent has been set, the rest are sure to follow. There are not enough people in the world to enforce such a ban. Whats next? Punishing one's bank account for infractions?

The next step will be developing a black market for tobacco, and surely someone wants that. Too bad its so easily grown, but they got that angle covered as well. Work with us and its all good, defy us and you're SOL.
BRAVE NEW WORLD, indeed.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
9 million kids signed up and were rejected as being unfit for military service.

9 million kids were already either overweight or suffered debilitation heart and lung problems and did not pass their physical exams so had to be turned away.

When do you begin to take steps to assure your country has a standing military?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain
You are aware that the problems with obesity and disease have escalated in the last couple of decades, while smoking has declined during that same time period?

Perhaps you should research before making correlations? Just sayin'...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
9 million kids signed up and were rejected as being unfit for military service.

9 million kids were already either overweight or suffered debilitation heart and lung problems and did not pass their physical exams so had to be turned away.

When do you begin to take steps to assure your country has a standing military?

Isn't that the responsibility of parents to see that their children grow up healthy, not the government? Second line.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

I hope everyone, smoker and non-smoker alike, will read that Douglass report article. Not only do we have to cut through to the health facts which have been so wildly distorted by the media, we have to reassemble the truth in our minds in the face of it - smoking in moderation is healthy for a human, and recognize the ongoing campaigns have everyone utterly convinced they are right to wage a social war of secularizing and insulting smokers which is divisive and unsound.

I look forward to the day when every bogus FDA/government claim is exposed, and the only people termed as "crazy" are those who cling to their corporate-serving propeganda machines which casually promote eugenics. Let's see past their collective garbage with hearty effort, good research, and a recognition of their fear and stigma tactics. Also, their "tag-team" pass the ball between so-called experts, the little wars they stage between ideas which mention only the lesser of two evils.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Reminds me of the quote = When they came for me... And nobody was left to care. < paraphrased of course, because meaning is lost already.

Once we get rid of everything that a free society enjoys, who is left to blame? Once all our personal pollutants are gone, who will be left to blame?

One saying that I've always clung to to is; If all crime stopped tomorrow, the whole world will stop one week later.....

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Reply to post by rusethorcain

And all because of cigarettes.

You sound like the FDA, AMA, EPA, and all the other institutions that do studies.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Perhaps you should research before making correlations?

Actually I didn't make any correlations. I repeated what I heard on the HLN news. You glean from that what you will.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

we have to cut through to the health facts which have been so wildly distorted by the media, we have to reassemble the truth in our minds in the face of it - smoking in moderation is healthy for a human,

Do you really think THE MEDIA has a secret agenda to fool you? How do they profit from such a trick? What's the motive?
You are being fooled alright but it is not by the media.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

In a thread specifically addressing supposed health detriments and social restrictions on smoking, you post a message that indicates that there is an overall problem with the health of an entire generation.

If that's not an attempt at a correlation, I'm a supermodel from Manhattan!

HLN is not exactly considered the final word around a conspiracy-themed forum, btw.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Do you really think THE MEDIA has a secret agenda to fool you? How do they profit from such a trick? What's the motive?
You are being fooled alright but it is not by the media. rusethorcain

This has already been discussed at length, just not here
Tobacco companies produce cigarettes for no more than 40 cents a 25-pack, that's current value, and have been a government cash-cow for years. Even at yesterdays prices, that's a whole lot of money in the coffers. Now cigarettes are up to $10 a pack, the industry is being sued retroactively for all those years, even though the government had their hands in the profits the whole time at a profit margin hundreds of percent more than the entire product value.

Where is the money going? It isn't to smoking cessation, that's not free - it's highly expensive and taxed. We don't really know where the money is going, healthcare they say, but as proven above, it's only a moderate health concern for smokers who partake in too much of their habit. What is actually causing cancer, and lung disease, and strokes, and heart disease? We are looking past their poster-child, smoking, now. What are all these charities supporting, billions and billions, when the diseases in question can be cured through naturopathy, and over time. Could part of it be for modern barbarian medicine, the knife, the chemo "therapy", the always expensive drugs?

What about an anti-smoking ad campaign that is so overdone that it has the reverse impact on youth, who prefer to fly-in-the-face of what big brother tells them, and a big brother industry that knows this is the desired effect. They train and condition us for divisive measures, and allow the populace to do their dirty work for them.

Now, who is being fooled by who?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Being someone who has lived in Brooksville for most of their life, I find this pretty funny. I am only 23 but most of who I know or people in their family smoke there. If they try to pass something that makes it so you can't work for the city just because they might smoke or chew tobacco then that just hurts the city by taking out the opportunity for some qualified people to get positions even though they're doing absolutely nothing wrong. Makes me feel a little ashamed of the city I grew up in.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

In a thread specifically addressing supposed health detriments and social restrictions on smoking, you post a message that indicates that there is an overall problem with the health of an entire generation.

If that's not an attempt at a correlation, I'm a supermodel from Manhattan!

HLN is not exactly considered the final word around a conspiracy-themed forum, btw.

TheRedneck

I have been accused of being off subject before

Now, I posted "the 9 million kids unfit for service" to show there is more than one reason to make a reasonable effort to keep ourselves and our loved ones alive and our Nation healthy. Even I think we need a military.

Things that bring early death should be legal, but harder to get.
I have been smoking since 14. I quit every 6 months for 6 months and then start again. My adoptive dad died at 48 smoking related heart attack and my mom recently of cig related COPD. I defend my own right to smoke and to die however I choose...
(and other than timeframe, how is this really ANY different from folks who use Jack Kevorkian to die? He went to jail for his part)
....but knowing the implications and devastation I cannot encourage this behavior in others and defend the States position to not demand but encourage wiser choices. Without reining in, untenable situations tend to get worse, not better. Strict rules put in place (no smoking in restaurants, workplaces etc.) are responsible for the decline in smoking we see today.

I am sure people were fighting banning cigarettes from airplanes too.

Were they right?

The only reason cigarettes are legal today is they are grandfathered in, a sad and unfortunate part of our heritage. (The motif around the Capitol is a tobacco leaf design)
If they were a new thing on the market I don't think they'd be permitted at all, even in your own home. Like heroin or something. If pot is illegal certainly cigs and liquor would be found to be worse and so illegal too.

And sorry for quoting the nightly news. I didn't know it was no longer a reliable source for facts. Next time I promise to try Prison Planet or the Red State site and see if they have any pearls of wisdom readers here might accept as gospel.

BTW: Got you booked for a Vanity Fair Cover!

[edit on 22-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chicken_Bone
reply to post by SaturnFX

Obama is a Liberal, right?

Pelosi is a Liberal right?

Reid is a Liberal right?

Well they just made a huge government expansion when they forced through this healthcare bill. So is that what you mean by Liberals being for smaller government?

Look show me some proof that any conservative is worried about people smoking in their own house, or thinking government should do a deodorent check on their employees and we can talk further.

exactly, and furthermore, liberals are actually rather similar to some unpleasant regimes of the past- Goldberg's book "liberal fascism" is an excellent read, and whilst US Liberals are not Nazis they often come from the same human wellspring- the health aspect with nazis and modern liberals is point in case, the Nazis not exactly fan of smoking, promoting physical well being, vegeteriansim etc

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
This is just another attempt and infringement to control us, the taxpayers* that is what government does..contol the people and expand tiself whereever possible. Unfortuantly, that is what our government has become. KInda like the romans, hitler, ghanges khan, alexander the great..dxpanding whereever possible.
You cannot tell soemone at a job, what knid of deodorant and underwear they msut use at all. SOmeone has alot of free time on thier hands to conjure up crazy and porrly thought out policys. No wonder we are in a recession* hose in power waisting valubale salary and work time to control others, instead of focusing on thier office space job*
I am a smoker, unfortunatly addicted. lost 2 parents to cancer, and really am angry with the tobacco industry. if it wasnt because nicotine was so damn addictive mentally and physically, ide have quite smokeing a long time ago. also with tons of stress at work dont help.
I think, if any policy is gunn abe conjured up, stop going after the hard workers! FINE or penalize the tobacco companys then if businesses see smoking as such a threat. hell thier business and started the whole damn marketing and chemical alced thing of them! go after them not the workers.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Thats another thing..many buisinesses do a background check on you ro ask you when applying if you smoke or not. HUGE invasion of self life and privacy. MAny also do background checks too see if you have credit established, and if you ahve little or no credit..NO JOB*
welcome to corporate america

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join