It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper Airplanes and audio cassettes found taped to street poles.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Philadelphia Inquirer:
According to detectives, the sanitation supervisor, Bill Hamas, 52, spotted the first airplane and bag on the northeast corner of Broad Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard. Hamas removed the items from the pole and threw them in a nearby trash can.

"He thought nothing of it at the time," Colarulo said.

As Hamas walked east on Filbert Street, he spotted a second plastic bag and paper plane taped to a pole near Juniper Street. Hamas and another Center City District worker, James Webb, 39, became suspicious and alerted a nearby police traffic officer handling the flow around City Hall. That officer retrieved the bag, cassette and paper airplane from the trash and then guarded the Filbert Street find, which was still attached to the pole.

They're saying it may be nothing more than a hoax but that still seems a bit scary.
I'm sure those paper airplanes were meant to represent real ones.

(the site requires free registration, I'm not sure if I should post the entire article.)

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Whoa.
"White powder" found in several locations the next day, too.
Tests said it was corn starch.
CBS

Link to the paper airplanes that doesn't require registration:
Paper airplanes
The officer played one tape in his patrol car and says it contained "a Middle Eastern language." He immediately notified higher-ups.

WTF?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Somebody is playing a prank, probably teens, school is out so I guess is nothing else to do but play some trick on publics mind.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Interesting piece of the story "utility pole outside the Masonic Temple"

Maybe they go to ATS to =)

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Somebody is playing a prank, probably teens, school is out so I guess is nothing else to do but play some trick on publics mind.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by marg6043]

I highly doubt someone is playing a prank. If you read the CBS article it said that "The officer played one tape in his patrol car and says it contained "a Middle Eastern language." He immediately notified higher-ups. " I believe there is a deeper message with the paper airplanes taped onto poles pointing to an audio cassette. What can it mean, though?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If it was a prank do you think someone would spend time and money on buying tapes and making paper airplanes.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It seems odd that a terror group would do this, normally they like to jump up after the fact and take credit.

Also am I the only one that took a second look at the sanitation guys name. Hamas???

Could be one of those odd things like 9/11 being our emergency number.

[Edited on 6/4/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
It seems odd that a terror group would do this, normally they like to jump up after the fact and take credit.
[Edited on 6/4/2004 by nativeokie]

Yeah it isn't like terrorist groups to do this before they do something. All terrorist groups that i have seen take credit after doing it. This is odd. I wonder what is going on.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
They're planning something!!!!
AAAHHHH!! NOOO! lol. It is a little weird though...

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Oh please, when I was in High School we dropped a thousand paper planes from the top of a skyscraper, it made the evening news, and we just did it for fun.

People do weird things for no particular reason all the time.

I'd be interested in what the tapes actually said more than what language they were in. If the terrorists are smart they'll learn Sweedish or Welsh or some other random language no one in the anti-terror forces wouldn't give another thought to.

Besides what is the point of warning the people you are going to attack with folded copy paper?

The real terrorists are smarter than this and it just shows how paranoid America has gotten that someone's weird prank is taken as a threat.

Relax and have a drink, not everyone who speaks Arabic is trying to kill you.

~Astral

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by The Astral City]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
When a big company like McDonalds successfully establishes itself in the market place, they dont need to make commercials telling you about all their products anymore so they make subtle reminder ads that reinforce their branding etc.

If a terrorist group is making these planes and tapes, dont you think they are achieving their goal by reminding the masses with this simple, subtle low cost method? Who knows if it really is them...it seems to work none the less.

It's all about fear.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Thats a great point, It may be Terror related in the fact a Smart Terrorist sympathiser, can make an arbic tape and a plane , just remind you and scare you which is there cheif method.

dz

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
I highly doubt someone is playing a prank. If you read the CBS article it said that "The officer played one tape in his patrol car and says it contained "a Middle Eastern language." He immediately notified higher-ups. " I believe there is a deeper message with the paper airplanes taped onto poles pointing to an audio cassette. What can it mean, though?

Oh good God, look out! Everyone that speaks Arabic is now a terrorist! I should never, EVER speak Arabic with my family again since it is the language of terrorism....

I dont think I can make my point more clearer..

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well if you dont make tapes and planes and tep them on city streets I think you will be ok. Its not saying all people who speak arabic are terrorists just that people who put tapes and airplanes in public areas theres a good chance they are..

A little much on the over drama dz =)

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What does the tape say translated into english?

dz

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
A little much on the over drama dz =)

Over drama? You haven't had to sit and listen to people tell you you and your family are terrorists for the past 3 years just because you are Arabic. You haven't had to have people give you glaring stares because you're speaking Arabic with your family for the past 3 years.

I don't look Arabic and most people are surprised when they find out. That's probably why I hear it so much; people will think twice about saying something about someone when they're there, but when they have no idea the person is around then they don't care. As soon as I say 'well.. I can speak Arabic, and I was born in Lebanon', it's the same old 'well.. ya, i mean, well, you know not you guys'..

Heh, to you it's over drama. To me, well, I flat out hate it.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
TA-THREATS: al-Qaeda Issues New Warnings. Western Airliners Targeted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't think any of this is a hoax. It is a warning.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
They haven't translated the tapes yet.
That doesn't give people much confidence in their investigative abilities.

Police said the language sounds like a dialect that might be used in Africa. Investigators said some University of Pennsylvania professors listened to them without being able to pinpoint the country or translate the words.

Philly.com (subscription site)

They also mention on that site that the powder they found was a running club's route markers.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
That doesn't give people much confidence in their investigative abilities.

Seems like Homeland Security should be on the case...not a few Philly Prof's

[edit on 7-6-2004 by sosuemetoo]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Didn't the IRA always warn before a terrorist attack?Maybe this is a homeland group giving warning to locals prior to an attack. If it occurs in other cities, then i might starting bottling water.... just a thought...

new topics

<<   2 >>

join