It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FALSE ALARM: BREAKING (news) Large plume indicates second Icelandic volcano, Hekla, has begun erupti

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What would be the economical consequences for Europe if this goes on for months?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
What would be the economical consequences for Europe if this goes on for months?

Well, at least for the airline industry, they would take such a major hit if the test flights come back inconclusive. I know that an airliner from Germany (?) did a test flight and came back unscathed, but since there are three volcanoes on the island, it's a logical assumption to conclude that at least one other would erupt eventually.

In a worse case scenario, I could see the price of goods going up over there as a result of not being able to get shipments in. Of course, I don't know how much of the goods that the UK receives come by boat and how much comes by plane. I think we could see a resurgence in trans-Atlantic ferry boats to get overseas, if it gets bad enough where air travel is deemed unsafe for any length of time. The RR industry stands to make quite a bit of money, however, if air travel is down for any length of time. But of course, this is in a worse-case scenario.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Found in search results in google news:
Source

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) — The Icelandic Meteorological Office on Monday said the Hekla volcano in the southern part of the country had not erupted. Live footage from the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service initially appeared to show images from the Hekla volcano with a huge plume of smoke rising from it. Later, the service said the camera was accidentally pointed at the Eyjafjallajökull glacier - which continues to erupt and has caused major air travel disruptions across Europe. An official with the Icelandic Meteorological Office in Reykjavik said he was aware of media reports, but said they were not accurate. “I’m sitting here in the middle of the Icelandic Met Office and we’ve seen nothing to indicate an eruption,” he said.

Edited for source link

[edit on 19-4-2010 by DeltaCommando5]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

FALSE ALARM:

www.thaindian.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaCommando5

Yeah, that was word I just found. Nothing to see here any more.

I updated the OP to indicate the false alarm.

[edit on 4-19-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hekla is Iceland's most active volcano, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Kata is the one that we want to worry about.
Every time Eyjafjallajokull has erupted, it has awoken Katla, which is 4x more powerful. Last eruption, Christmas 1821-1823 .

Apparently someone is placing too much stock in twitter. One of the Hekla webcams was repositioned recently to point toward the current activity. Someone apparently saw it and tweeted that Hekla was erupting. Looks like MSNBC might have picked it up without checking it.

This might just be a twitter rumor that has become a "fac

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Will the weight of all this extra lava cause the island to tip over and capsize?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

I've been tracking the economic consequences in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been updating as new information becomes available.

Feel free to add whatever you can find and connect the dots you see. I think that the ripple effects will begin to amplify and become more broadly obvious within 48-96 hours from now if the standdown continues.

This is beginning to look like it might have serious policitcal repersussions soon: if Hekla or Katla goes off, there could be a power shift from northern Europe to southern Europe.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

Originally posted by TheOracle

Well, at least for the airline industry, they would take such a major hit if the test flights come back inconclusive. I know that an airliner from Germany (?) did a test flight and came back unscathed, but since there are three volcanoes on the island, it's a logical assumption to conclude that at least one other would erupt eventually.

In a worse case scenario, I could see the price of goods going up over there as a result of not being able to get shipments in. Of course, I don't know how much of the goods that the UK receives come by boat and how much comes by plane. I think we could see a resurgence in trans-Atlantic ferry boats to get overseas, if it gets bad enough where air travel is deemed unsafe for any length of time. The RR industry stands to make quite a bit of money, however, if air travel is down for any length of time. But of course, this is in a worse-case scenario.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

You forgot one thing. The strength of the other two volcanos will sure enough engulf the northern hemisphere of earth and probably wrap itself around the globe causing more problems

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwrthtbe
OOps,....let's try that again

Hekla Live Feed

ok got the live feed up and running...thanks!...don't see much of anything though...it appears to be quiet...i'm at 10:45 am PST. in calif. USA on 4/19/10...i'll save this page to track

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
What you need is a virgin to throw into it, lol.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Wow, first time I have been HOAXed.. heh, guessit had to happen at some point.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Damn, and i was getting ready for panic sex *pulls pants back up*

But always great to have vigilant ATSers repoting stuff (even if theyre false alarms) better being watchfull than dead

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
What you need is a virgin to throw into it, lol.

Hahahaha! I wonder if there are any of those left in the world?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hekla: 9th most dangerous volcano

Seems like its a hoax.. pheww. that was scary! Check the link..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
guys, check hekla cam

www.ruv.is...

shaking violently? earthquake?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

The funny thing is, today, the last few days (minus the odd few hours of cloud cover), and the predicted next few days has been sunshine and warm temperatures! haha love it!

MrWebby666

top topics

<< 1   >>

join