It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something strange I've noticed with most music

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

Originally posted by MandBB
Cher started that whole trend with "Live after Love" (i believe thats the title.. where it is almost a robotic sound. Lots of artists jumped on the bandwagon.. And yes it does help conceal the fact the artist has no chops.

Actually i believe it was Herbie Hancock who started it way back in the 70's with his pesky vocoder...

But he was AWSOME

WOW what a song!!!

Herbie the New....

Peace

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
reply to post by door_to_anima

Excellent rant. I have been experimenting with my volume leveling software to make CD mixes and instead of compressing and boosting the older songs I'm leaning towards taking down the volume of the newer songs. I'm not sure if it's the way to go. Any thoughts on it?

(EDIT: Actually I think I misread your post. For whatever reason I misread it and thought you were talking about putting your own music together on a CD to make an album.

Anyway, if quality is a concern than yes, it would be better for you to take the volume down on the new songs as to opposed compressing the old ones.)

Yes I do have some thoughts. The main reason why music is pushed to be LOUDER is because of radio. See, when you hear something LOUDER it's been proven to sound "better" to the listener, so it gave you a one up to have a louder song on the radio than the next guy, radio's compressors and limiters not with standing. This is where the whole loudness wars started.

But then theirs the question...when you buy it on CD, does it matter? Turn your stereo up till its as loud as you want it right? So to summarize: More compressed music (commonly done with tools such as Waves L2 Ultra maximizer) sounds worse than something thats NOT over compressed when played back at the same volume, but it won't help you for radio. So here's what I do. I create the album to sound how I want it to, I will than take the 3 songs I plan to send to radio and will do 3 special radio mixes of them just for that reason.

Now all that being said, A touch of compression on a mix is not BAD, do it to taste, just don't OVER do it, which is the common problem.

Anyone remember the whole thing with Metallica's last album? Supposedly it was done so bad even your average joe was complaining.

Anyway thats my advise, do your album how you want, and just have a few extra radio mixes for radio.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by door_to_anima]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Kind person..if Britney Spears, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga are examples of "music" you listen to...may I suggest you expand your horizons.

Listen to the old Stax collection of Southern Soul, or possibly some Richard Wagner or Aaron Copeland for classical inspiration, maybe some old Delta Blues that would later inspire Led Zepplin and Hendrix...you want reverbe...listen to Hendrix.

Point is...you are seeking TALENT, which is sorely missing from today's mass market place. Out of the three, Beyonce wins hands down.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Dam... you got me...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Cher started that whole trend with "Live after Love" (i believe thats the title.. where it is almost a robotic sound. Lots of artists jumped on the bandwagon.. And yes it does help conceal the fact the artist has no chops.

Actually i believe it was Herbie Hancock who started it way back in the 70's with his pesky vocoder...

WOW what a song!!!

I can't watch your video and i dont mean to nitpick (or maybe i do) but you're getting two effects mixed up, the 'cher effect' wasn't a vocoder, it was Autotune.

Cher certainly wasn't the first person to use it but she was one of the first to abuse it, thanks to her you can hear it in loads of hip hop now. If it is used properly (like all effects) you shouldn't be able to hear that it's there at all.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Frakkerface]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
On the subject of vocoder...

I've always wanted one of these but couldn't justify the cost.... Though to be fair I have bought other synths just for ONE sound

Check this...

Roland VP-770

If you have listened to my tracks, posted earlier you will notice I have quote a nice choir sound going on but this from the VP-770 is so dynamic and life like.

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Any one can use auto tune but to use auto tune for that desired effect you have to be a good singer to know what note to hit so auto tune will correct it, so not all people that use auto tune are rubbish in fact some of them are extremely talented singers. and for the orginal question for reverb on the chorus its nothing to do with hypnotics it just to create contrast, a voice sounding the same all the way through is extremely boring most songs have reverb on the vocals at some point even if you cant hear it there is normally a little bit

[edit on 23-4-2010 by definity]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity
Any one can use auto tune but to use auto tune for that desired effect you have to be a good singer to know what note to hit so auto tune will correct it, s

That's not true at all.

Software has gotten very smart that much is true... but the real talent often is the sound engineer.

Check this.

You can litrally make someone who cannot sing sound okish....

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

The vocal chords are just like any other instrument and the death growl is used in accordance to the style there's not a thing wrong with it. If you can't see the "variety" in the Death metal genre that's your own fault for holding such a narrow opinion that all they do is "play loud".

and for whomever said they can't tell what they're singing; some of us understand it just fine. It's just a different style, no worse, no better; simply different.

exactly!!
its just like saying all pop singers sound alike or all country singers sound alike! the guy has a totally biased opinion against death metal
gives it no thought

some of us can understand the death growl just find, you just have to learn to "Speak metal"

if you listen closeley you can begin to understand the words, it takes some practice but it is naturaul for us metalheads who are raised into this stuff
heer is a list of metal starting from easy to understand slowly changing to more difficult if you listen to them all in order you should be able to speak metal, but maybe not, it dont hurt to try
king diamond welcome home

iced earth birth of the wicked

megedeth archetecture of agression

gwar eighth lock

six feet under america the brutal

suicide silence unanswered

they are all actually very talented and put a lot of work into their art

[edit on 24-4-2010 by ashanu90]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by ashanu90]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

feel the power i was talking about earlier
true its not about talent but these artists are talented

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by ashanu90

feel the power i was talking about earlier
true its not about talent but these artists are talented

I'll say, i couldn't shout for 1 minutes without coughing

I wonder what Mozart would have thought??

Korg.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

it would have blown his mind, lol can you imagine if mozart was metalized? whoa epic eargasm

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by Korg Trinity

it would have blown his mind, lol can you imagine if mozart was metalized? whoa epic eargasm

You've just given me an awsome idea....

The Requiem Mass Metal Edition!!!!!!!!!!!

Korg.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Cher started that whole trend with "Live after Love" (i believe thats the title..

This is funny because "Believe" is the title!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by viber8

Cher started that whole trend with "Live after Love" (i believe thats the title..

This is funny because "Believe" is the title!

Woooow

Stuff like that makes you believe in synchronicity or a hive mind or something...

Korg.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

good rant lol
just to back up your comments i there isnt an artist around (no matter how good they are) that doesent use reverb in a studio enviroment. The booths are designed to record the flatest sound which is then given atmosphere to brighten it up and give it depth.
Sure it can be over done and is often so but i think more so in older music unless it is intentional as todays sound engineers and producers are fairly on the ball, but it is an essential part of studio recording.
As for auto tune i havent really come acrross it but i can see how it would cheapen the recording process.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sound_sensi

good rant lol
just to back up your comments i there isnt an artist around (no matter how good they are) that doesent use reverb in a studio enviroment. The booths are designed to record the flatest sound which is then given atmosphere to brighten it up and give it depth.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Star!

Actually the biggest mistake you can make when mixing is to use the same type of reverb on the various tracks.

To gain the best mix, you often have to use many different types of reverb or the sound gets washed out.

I tend to use smooth hall quite a bit but I just love a good gated reverb sound too.

Another thing not to get wrong is the actual mix of effect dry/wet. Nothing worse than a sound drowned out by its own reverb. (see previous post on patching effect to their own channels)

And on drums, it’s a really good idea to set the reflection delay on your reverb, Doing this rather than upping the reverb length (time) will naturalise the sound and give an overall feeling of space..

You can record tweaks in most DAWs these days and a really cool trick I have used in the past is to record changes to the reverb time and reflection delay to give a sound the apearance of getting closer and moving away in rythm to the track... Really works well if done right on a bass drum.

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Dam... you got me...

I couldn't resist muckster....lol

It, reminded me of Axel F....chocolate rain that is.

Peace to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join