It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Iceland's Hekla volcano just erupt? Webcam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
www.ruv.is...

Does anyone know if this is just that Eyeballsocketjelloskull erupting in the background or if indeed we are witnessing a new volcanic eruption?

There are some people on another forum saying they have been watching this webcam and it was all clear this morning, but now there is obviously an eruption in progress.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Can't seem to get your video to work. It keeps on buffering and will not play. Might just be my computer, don't know. Where does this volcano rate in comparison to the the one that is causing all of the problems? Is this the other volcano that is some eight miles away and is supposedly ten times bigger?

Just curious.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
wow that really looks like an eruption, i will check the news and see if there is anything related to that.

Edit:

Nothing in the news yet, looks like it just started on the webcam though maybe they will mention something soon.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Impetus]

link   
I think your right,

tho I really hope you/I am wrong...

edit to add.... looks very much like it is... The plume appears to be growing..

I'm off to Demark next week for a long weekend, so have my fingers crossed that this is not something to worry about...

[edit on 19/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

link   
reply to post by Karma_Chameleon

I can't get the video to play either. I haven't seen anything else about a different eruption though....yet.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The only thing I see Is talk on twitter of it going off but Im still looking
2nd line

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karma_Chameleon

The volcano you are referring to I believe is called Katla. This would be another one, not the potentially "big one".

About Hekla:

Iceland's most famous and historically most active volcano can best be described as an intermediate volcanic form between a crater row and a stratovolcano. It is located west of Iceland's SE volcanic rift-zone. Hekla erupts a magma type that is unique for Iceland, intermediate between highly silicic and andesitic composition.

Source: www.decadevolcano.net...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm having problems with the webcam as well. It will work for a few minutes, then go black,

Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for bringing i to attention

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Hekla is a little north and east of Katla (Idont know much about the region just put'n up what Iv read)

www.decadevolcano.net...

It's said to go off about every 10 years so I guess its on time

www.decadevolcano.net...

[edit on 19-4-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

[edit on 19-4-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I'm having problems getting the video to load too.. thanks for posting this though, flag despite the fact that I can't see it.

Please anyone that can, keep those of us that can't view updated? pweeeez?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes, this is Hekla not Katla.

Katla is a more serious volcano than Hekla.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Just heard on channel 4 news that a second volcanic eruptionhas taken place in iceland!

Peace

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ya know, about an hour ago when I managed to get the video to open, I saw that and wondered if it was Hekla or just another view of the 'other' one which I can't spell OR pronounce. It gets confusing with all the different cameras, some of them showing the same volcano but from different angles.

This AM, I was unable to get any other cameras open and had to go, so I assumed that it was just another angle.....but I am thinking you may be right. This does appear to potentially be a new erruption. We should hear an official word soon.

The camera is working for me right now, and the plume has grown since I saw it last (about an hour ago). It keeps cutting out on me though. I would LOVE to find some other cameras of the area...anyone?

Lookiing at 10 min intervals of the original erruption HERE it looks as if the sky around Eyjafjallajokull is clear/blue while on the live camera of Hekla it is white/cloudy/overcast. Looks like a different mountain range.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

This cam is North of Hekla and looks South towards Eyjafjallajokull.

Hekla has NOT gone off.

This link to quake watch shows the latest quake map. There is nothing.

en.vedur.is...

en.vedur.is...

[edit on 19/4/2010 by PuterMan]

link   
twitter.com...

They are saying it on twitter.

We need some confirmation though.

link   
Hekla is the most active volcano in Iceland, yes?

link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

It's said to go off about every 10 years so I guess its on time

It's dubbed the "Decade Volcano", and sure enough, the last eruption was in 2000.

The most recent eruption was relatively short, it started at 18:18 on February 26, 2000 and lasted until March 8. It was a VEI3 eruption producing a lava volume of 0.189 km3 DRE[35] / 0.29 km3[9] and 107 m3 of tephra.[9] The eruption went through four phases:
initial explosive stage
fire fountains
bursts of Strombolian eruption
effusion of lava[35]

Somebody also entered this into Wiki regarding 2010:

Comeme la minga Iñaki, a tí si que se te ve el plumero

I can't get a decent translation though....

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: This is the translation from above:

"Iñaki minga EAT to you if you look to the duster" ???

[edit on 19-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by westcoast

This cam is North of Hekla and looks South towards Eyjafjallajokull.

Hekla has NOT gone off.

This link to quake watch shows the latest quake map. There is nothing.

MSNBC would seem to think otherwise: "BREAKING NEWS: Large plume indicates second Icelandic volcano, Hekla, has begun erupting"

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
www.aftenposten.no...

yes it has .........

MARI TORS Daughter HAUG

Aftenposten.no come back with more

The volcano Hekla, Iceland has begun an eruption at 18.30 o'clock Norwegian time Monday, according to Icelandic ruv.is. Hekla is Iceland's most active volcano

Hekla is approximately 1500 meters above sea level, and had last outbreak in February 2000. The volcano is one of Iceland's largest and is located 150 kilometers from Reykjavik.

The lava from Hekla covers approximately 420 square kilometers. Hekla has had major eruptions in 1294, 1300, 1693, 1766, 1845-46, 1947-48 and 1970. If the latter was 18 km2 covered by up to 20 meters thick lava. Outbreaks in 1980, 1991 and 2000, according's Norwegian Encyclopedia.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 19/4/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

There doesn't always have to be another earthquake for each individual eruption. Sometimes quakes can cause a volcano "domino effect" spanning many, many months.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join