It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry Symbols - NOT!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Freemasons catch a lot of slack about symbols that are attributed to us, but really have nothing to do whatever with Freemasonry.

To dispel some of the myths, I wanted to make a list of symbols that are not a part of Freemasonry.

The Pyramid

Though referenced a lot in Masonic literature, it has nothing to do with Freemasonry rituals.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/94d14188e9f3.gif[/atsimg]

The "Devil Horns"

Again, not used in Freemasonry. Only used by teasippers (which only Aggies will get).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d33d542df90.jpg[/atsimg]

The Eye of Horus

Extremely cool and creepy, very interesting history, but nothing to do with Freemasonry.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/975b3c07073d.jpg[/atsimg]

The Peace Sign

Just... nope...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3cf20635d018.jpg[/atsimg]

The Obelisk

Again, although attributed to Freemasonry a LOT, it has nothing to do with Freemasons.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8bb0d1268152.jpg[/atsimg]

Lady Gaga

I know there was some speculation at one time that she might be a man and therefore eligible for Masonry, alas she isn't. Two words for the profane: Camel. Toe.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ae6f79c6a54.jpg[/atsimg]

Dharma Initiative

What???

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/783ec77884df.jpg[/atsimg]

The "O" Sign

I never saw this one until today, but again nope.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3b80cfa6d2e.jpg[/atsimg]

The "O" Face

Eyes Wide Shut this ain't:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/692e685e43a5.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 4/19/10 by emsed1]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
....and hilarity ensues!

Part informational, part comedy, star for having a sorely needed sense of humour

The part about Gaga...Camel. Toe.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

The "O" Sign

I never saw this one until today, but again nope.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3b80cfa6d2e.jpg[/atsimg]

uhmmm i think i have seen that somewhere in one of the coughyorkritecough degrees or maybe i am not remembering correctly....

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

nice. Good humor.

Can you tell me why in graveyards, if I see an obelisk, it will almost certainly have a masonic emblem on it? I know nowhere in the lessons I have had, was an Obelisk mentioned, but it's kind of undeniable inside a cemetery. I never asked the question before so here is as good a place as any.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I know this has to be one! I also believe there is a conspiracy here that needs to be looked into. :p/cheek

-Al

[edit on 20-4-2010 by AlBeMet]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet
I know this has to be one! I also believe there is a conspiracy here that needs to be looked into. :p/cheek

Oh, that one is in the lecture...

The jar was used by operative masons to hold a chilled beverage prepared by steeped leaves. But we, as Free and Accepted Masons, are taught to make use of it for the more noble and glorious purpose of holding a chilled beverage prepared by steeped leaves and artificial sweetener.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

This seems to shed some light on the topic:

Anti-Masonry FAQ

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

thanks for that link. A fad. Who would have thought. It makes perfect sense when you strip away all the conspiracy angles and apply Occam's razor to it. I just thought there must be something to it and I somehow missed the boat.
Yet another reason I love ATS. I get to feel less stupid every day. But then my 18 year old reminds me that I still have a long way to go.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by AlBeMet

Oh, that one is in the lecture...

The jar was used by operative masons to hold a chilled beverage prepared by steeped leaves. But we, as Free and Accepted Masons, are taught to make use of it for the more noble and glorious purpose of holding a chilled beverage prepared by steeped leaves and artificial sweetener.

Someone should tell that heathen Augustus. Sweet tea is masonic and wholesome. Silly mason, beer is for the Shrine.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Dear masons ...

Your posts intrigue me and confuser me ...

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic ...

The stories about devil cake binges are true right?

ETA: The reason I say "confuse" is that obviously some of the OP is meant in jest, but on the other hand I always thought (perhaps erroneously) that the "Eye of Providence" was an established masonic symbol.

Today, the Eye of Providence is usually associated with Freemasonry. The Eye first appeared as part of the standard iconography of the Freemasons in 1797, with the publication of Thomas Smith Webb's Freemasons Monitor.[5] Here, it represents the all-seeing eye of God and is a reminder that a Mason's thoughts and deeds are always observed by God (who is referred to in Masonry as the Great Architect of the Universe). Typically, the Masonic Eye of Providence has a semi-circular glory below the eye. Sometimes the Eye is enclosed by a triangle. en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps it's a semantic issue between symbology and iconography?

[edit on 20 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

it has been around a lot longer than us. The single eye as a symbol has been around since ancient Egypt. Masonry adopted that symbol along with others to use in our teaching life lessons. Just as we didn't invent the square and compasses. Operative masons used them as tools, and speculative masons use them as symbols to represent tools.

And contrary to popular belief, we didn't invent the chicken dinner either.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

it has been around a lot longer than us. The single eye as a symbol has been around since ancient Egypt. Masonry adopted that symbol along with others to use in our teaching life lessons. Just as we didn't invent the square and compasses. Operative masons used them as tools, and speculative masons use them as symbols to represent tools.

I understand that nd ... I just reread the OP and it mentions that it is included in masonic tradition but not part of any specific ritual. Nevertheless, it is a masonic symbol (though not exclusively), hence why I got confused as per the thread title.

Don't mind me I get easily confused.

And contrary to popular belief, we didn't invent the chicken dinner either.

Granted ... but what of the devil cake?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Granted ... but what of the devil cake?

umm............I am not at liberty to discuss..............

with a generous portion of chocolate frosting, it is a fitting end to any meal.

OT/

the all seeing eye is on our aprons, and has been used on masonic literature and web sites.

The "All-Seeing Eye" is a symbol of watchfulness and the eye of the Grand Architect. It is the symbol of his Divine watchfulness and care of the Universe. The All-Seeing Eye, whom the Sun, Moon, and Stars obey, and under whose watchful care even comets perform their stupendous revolutions, pervades the inmost recesses of the human heart, and will reward us according to our merits. The "Rays" represent "Light". Freemasons are emphatically called "The Sons of Light" because they are entitled to be in possession of the true meaning and knowledge of this symbol. It is in fact the first of all symbols presented to the initiate, and continues to be presented to him in various forms throughout his Masonic career. But as Light not only came from God, it also makes mans way clear before him, so it is employed to signify moral truth. The "Dove" in early Masonry is a symbol of Noah's messenger. In ancient symbolism, the Dove represented purity and innocence and was often seen bearing an olive branch.

source

I hope this helps. As stated in the site, this is not a lecture given at any time during a degree, but is used to teach prospective members a bit about our heritage. I have personally never heard this lecture, but thought it shed light (pardon the pun) on the question.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
ETA: The reason I say "confuse" is that obviously some of the OP is meant in jest, but on the other hand I always thought (perhaps erroneously) that the "Eye of Providence" was an established masonic symbol.

Hey Dog, the Original Post refers to the unfinished pyramid with the All-Seeing Eye above it ala the Great Seal on the Dollar Bill. This is not a Masonic symbol. Only the All-Seeing Eye, or Eye of Providence, is used in Masonic ritual. It appears in the Third Degree Lecture and refers to the watchful eye of Deity and that our actions, right or wrong, can never be hidden from God.

P.S. I love Omar and Jerry.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Someone should tell that heathen Augustus. Sweet tea is masonic and wholesome. Silly mason, beer is for the Shrine.

Is that jealousy rearing its ugly head?

Somewhere in the world it is always happy hour, sadly it never seems to be in North Carolina.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Hey Dog, the Original Post refers to the unfinished pyramid with the All-Seeing Eye above it ala the Great Seal on the Dollar Bill. This is not a Masonic symbol. Only the All-Seeing Eye, or Eye of Providence, is used in Masonic ritual.

Ah, that makes sense ... thank you for explaining it so that even I can get it.

P.S. I love Omar and Jerry.

Anti-Metsonic much?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Wasn't the Eye of Providence adopted in the U.S. branch of Freemasonry following it's adoption by the U.S. government?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
Wasn't the Eye of Providence adopted in the U.S. branch of Freemasonry following it's adoption by the U.S. government?

Yes, it was adopted about 14 years after it first appeared on the Great Seal. It is typically used with a glory below the eye and sometimes inside of a triangle. The unfinished pyramid did not transition from the Seal to Masonic ritual.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Is that jealousy rearing its ugly head?

Somewhere in the world it is always happy hour, sadly it never seems to be in North Carolina.

laugh it up Yankee. Mom, apple pie, and sweet tea. See in the south.......
aw, who am I kidding, I want a beer.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Can you tell me why in graveyards, if I see an obelisk, it will almost certainly have a masonic emblem on it? I know nowhere in the lessons I have had, was an Obelisk mentioned, but it's kind of undeniable inside a cemetery. I never asked the question before so here is as good a place as any.

The usages and customs among Freemasons have ever borne a near affinity to those of the ancient Egyptians.
- First degree tracing board lecture

There is a book called "The obelisk and Freemasonry" which was written by John Weisse, a Freemason, in 1880. I have not read the book, but it was highly recommended by many masonic authors of the time. It apparently goes into detail about the similarities between the usages and customs of the Egyptians to those of Freemasonry. It's high on my 'to read' list.

It is available as a free online book here

[edit on 21/4/2010 by Saurus]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join