It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

and man made robots in his own image

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
ok i dont no if anybody knows about robots but to me it kinda freaks me out has anybody heard of the baby cb2 robot

www.youtube.com...

it seems like it has a soul is it not ineviable that these scientists are actually creating life?

in 10 years i could imagine there being a full grown adult robot with a adult brain
kind of disturbing

whats everybodys thoughts

will we not be equal to gods creating ability if not superior?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
i guess nobody cares that humans are creating life hence
making gods creations less spectactular

this robot oving like human stuff needs to stop

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
you're making too much out of it and letting your human instincts get to you.
for example. this robot is way more intelligent than the one you posted, but it probably wont mean anything to you because it doesn't look like a baby..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say this is "life". I will however, say once we create artificial intelligence that achieves sentience, we're in trouble.

"All of this has happened before, and will happen again".

Anyone ever heard a story about self-aware robots that had a happy ending?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
robots should look like robots or not be created at all i no that there are more smart robots like asimo but you can not deny that the cb2 does move very human like and its only goin to get smarter

soon everything is going to be robotic especiallly war i could imagine a fighter plane hooked up to a playstation and the computer controlling it

nd everybody knows how hard the computer is to beat sometimes

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I fail to see a problem. If we are created in God's image then how is it an affront to him if we use the abilities he gave us to create something in our own image? I never understand the argument that creating strong AI is heretical. If God gave us the ability to do these things then it is His plan to let it happen.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tdrowe2008
i guess nobody cares that humans are creating life hence
making gods creations less spectactular

this robot oving like human stuff needs to stop

What gods, there are no gods or god for that matter..

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Asimo is still the most advanced humanoid / small robot on the planet. This is an older video and from what I hear they've made improvements since this video was shot.

Upgrades, but still not most up to date.

It can also run, walk, climb stairs, serve tea and much more.

Makes your baby bot look like a tinker toy..

Also functional!

[edit on 20-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

ok i dont no if anybody knows about robots but to me it kinda freaks me out has anybody heard of the baby cb2 robot

it seems like it has a soul is it not ineviable that these scientists are actually creating life?

in 10 years i could imagine there being a full grown adult robot with a adult brain

I recognize that Japanese robotics professor in the youtube video you posted. He DID already make a robotic woman which looks pretty realistic:

She can give presentations at trade shows, etc. And unlike the human women, she doesn't need to take a bathroom break, she can talk and do demonstrations all day without getting tired. She almost looks like a real woman, doesn't she?

I think the robot movies all need to be considered possible futures, like :

Terminator
I, Robot
AI (one of my favorites)
Cherry 2000

AI was particularly poignant where the robot boy was like Pinnochio, he wanted to be a real human boy and waited over a thousand years just to hear his "mom" say she loved him.

Yes robots will be programmed with love and affection, at first superficially with sexbots but eventually with deeper affections as programming becomes more sophisticated.

And whether you like playing god with robots or not, it's going to happen. I just hope it doesn't turn out as badly in real life as it does in the Terminator movies, where robots take over the world, I don't consider such a scenario impossible.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tdrowe2008

as i was saying in another site, then it got taken off, or i cannot find it. the worsed weapon that is being made, is being made by man and you ,we see it every day and you are looking at it right now. only a few people know what it is. I was going to say the answer, but they, ats took the whole thing off of here. the answer is electronics, and the computer screen you are looking at right now is full of electronics. how can this be the worsed weapon known to mankind. well, electronics will be inside of the robots we will soon be making. these robots will ultamately replace you and me in the workforce and robots will become smarter and the robots will become advancec enough to think for themselves. this will ultamately resault in a man vs. robot wars. man vs, the borge , so to speek. like the show where man vs. the cylones. they will be much faster in every way. man will ultimately go to war with the product that he made. how ironic is that? the human will be no longer a need on this planet.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by nite owl]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

We already have electronics so that's not what will destroy us, but I think other than that, you have a point about robots being a future danger to man.

The game changer isn't electronics, it will be sophisticated AI or artificial intelligence. If the robots ever develop a kind of consciousness or self-awareness, they might judge us as harshly as we do ourselves and decide to do something about the "biological infestation" which is destroying this planet (like VGER in the star Trek movie). Terminator, the movie series, I, robot etc are not impossible fantasies, unfortunately. Interestingly, both movies propose that robots need to be programmed with some safeguard coding. For example, in I, robot, Asimov proposes the "Three laws of robotics":

The three laws of Robotics:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

The only problem I see with that, is let's say the robot starts going haywire and you want to destroy it, but rule #3 of self preservation won't let you destroy it??? Oops!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I recognize that Japanese robotics professor in the youtube video you posted. He DID already make a robotic woman which looks pretty realistic:

I found a youtube video of one of his robot women. Do you think she looks realistic???

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I say scientists should go for it. Movies are just movies anyway. Sure, there's a chance that robots could destroy us, but there's a chance they could be the best thing to ever happen to us as well. We have so far survived after developing nuclear tech, so I think we'd do fine with robots among us.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I have allways been very fascinated with robots and artificial intelligence especially. Ever since seeing c3po as a kid, I wanted one hehe.

And maybe there is a very small risk of AI becoming self aware at some point, but I highly doubt it. We still do not know what consciousness exactly is or where it comes from.

I personally believe that there is some outside force involved that is not found within our bodies and if that were true I doubt that machinery could ever gain consciousness as we do.

In any way, I think of robots more like I think of pets. Like a friendly companion.

And the most amazing thing of them all is that it is simply a matter of time until we can buy our own asimo, like we buy our own computer today. Plus with development still speeding up it is getting really close now. I think in about 5 to 10 years we will see the first real robot that is for sale. Priced propably like a small or medium sized car.

Really exciting times we live in

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

That's unlikely. By the time we develop AI we will be more like them than we'll be like our current selves. The nanobots alone will level the playing field between us and them, at least at first. Then following that the developments the AI comes up with will allow us to continue to match them as they evolve. We're not going to be their masters and they're not going to be our enslavers, we're going to be equals.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

kind of disturbing

whats everybodys thoughts

will we not be equal to gods creating ability if not superior?

I Understand what your saying But you have to let it go thier is far worse things out thier. a robot isnt really what you should be worried about no matter what it looks like.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightaudit
I have allways been very fascinated with robots and artificial intelligence especially. Ever since seeing c3po as a kid, I wanted one hehe.

And maybe there is a very small risk of AI becoming self aware at some point, but I highly doubt it. We still do not know what consciousness exactly is or where it comes from.

I personally believe that there is some outside force involved that is not found within our bodies and if that were true I doubt that machinery could ever gain consciousness as we do.

In any way, I think of robots more like I think of pets. Like a friendly companion.

And the most amazing thing of them all is that it is simply a matter of time until we can buy our own asimo, like we buy our own computer today. Plus with development still speeding up it is getting really close now. I think in about 5 to 10 years we will see the first real robot that is for sale. Priced propably like a small or medium sized car.

Really exciting times we live in

I bet Asimo will not be the bot that is released. It will be the next gen Asimo. What I love about this particular bot is how they improved the way it learns and as you saw it can make judgments based on generic properties of an environment. That in itself is huge but not perfect, however I think it is really only a glimpse into the future of intelligent robots. I bet by now Asimo can do much more than that.

You really have to look at the past of robotics to understand the implications with Asimo. Never before have they been able to create a bot that has so many wonderful learning abilities, as well as superior (to all other bots) navigation abilities. In fact they made it so it could make judgments and do its own navigation. That's huge! This pretty well frees the bot from having to deal with pre-programmed coordinates!! I hope you understand how huge that is!

It started with paper, and now Asimo can navigate any room. Here's how it works!

Beautiful isn't it?

As you mentioned, soon (5-10 years) we will be able to buy our own most likely. Sure it will start off comparatively at the price of a car. However, like my nice big LCD HDTV the price will eventually go down exponentially. We will both see the day when these things are affordable to almost everyone! Exciting times for sure!

top topics

join