It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

essential survival knowledge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
somebody yesterday told me about "jug fishing" i thought it sounded pretty cool.

if your really in survival mode and dont have the time or skills for traditional fishing, and you find a lake/pond or some nonmoving body of water, you can take a water jug or coke bottle (anything that floats), and simply tie your line and hook to that and set or toss it out in the middle of the pond.

you can make like 10 of these and just sit out there on a boat with them floating around you, when a fish nails one it starts tuggin on the jug and cant go anywhere, and you just pull it out of the water.

or if theres no boat you can just swim them out there, leave, and come back later and see if u got any. might need some type of anchor if its windy.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

On a similar note. Should you not have access to a good deal of jugs, but have ample hooks/sinkers/etc... after your first strike, set the hook, tie on one jug, a ballon, styrofoam, anything that floats, and cut your line.

While it may sound insane, on smaller lakes and ponds fish tend to school and circle the water area. This will save you time as you can be doing other things around camp when the fish are no where near you, when you see the float coming back your way, catch what you can, and wait again.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Well my friend as mentioned time and time again certainly fire and shelter are the cornerstones for initial survival apparatus, however over the long term I value plant identification and the making of a broad range of anti-bacterial, anti-viral etc...preparations to be paramount.

My two long term vocations: Carpentry and Research Herbalist I believe will make me a capable survivor for the long term in a worst case end time scenario.

Im sure you have read or watched Stephen King's THE STAND...as you recall simple things like a cut finger begin to be more of a problem then the initial need of warmth and shelter. Knowing plants like Plantain, Dandelion, Burdock, Hawthorn, White Oak etc..etc.. allows for a wide variety of crafts, meals medicines and heck even mind altering experiences potentially neccessary in a communal or individual survival setting.

Im always amazed when speaking to friends how many people dont consider the natural denizens of woods and fields as useful survival tools in deference to the number of cans and bags of processed foods they can carry.

Nice thread idea

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

If you camp by the water, set a few traps, and always be on alert you should come by a food source.

While that sounds like a good plan, it's actually not. If you camp by the water the food sources you are looking for will split the country when they realize you are there. If you see a specific spot where animals have been watering, try not to muck anything up and don't set up camp anywhere near it. It's better to take your turn at the watering hole and leave, just like the animals do.

On topic:

Remember: "Waste not, want not."

1. Shelter; if possible, practice while you have leisure, SHTF is a bit late, but not too late, we hope.

2. Water; to purify, use a pot with a clean oversized lid (or something similar) tilt the lid so that it hangs off one side of the pot (set a rock on it if you must to hold it in place). Place clean pot beneath the overhanging lid and let the water boil. The steam will condense on the lid and drain into the clean pot. You loose a bit of water that way, but what you do get is pure.

3. Food;
meat; trapping, fishing, hunting. Learn to use clay and grasses as your bake ware.
greens and veggies; wild crafting. Gardening once you are established, please tell me you brought seed, if not you better be good at wild crafting.

4. Fire; while there are several ways to build a fire, do try to have several magnesium fire starting tools, they are beyond handy and faster/easier to use.

5. Clothing; learning to tan hides and make clothes from them is most important. Certain grasses and barks can be used to weave a type of cloth (it sure ain't silk but it will cover you) if you have time for it.

6. Partners; doing all of this alone is a pain and if you get badly injured you probably wont make it. Two people make it easier but 3 or 4 is more ideal. Two to hunt/forage and 2 to tend camp duties, no one is left completely alone.

Sure these all aren't skills, but they require skills, except for #6 and it's important too, just not absolutely necessary.

[edit on 24-4-2010 by SheaWolf]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join