It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Know if This has a Meaning?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A friend of mine used to wear a pin with the below design on it. I tried asking her a few times what it meant, or where she got it; she always told me that it wasn't important. I eventually believed her and stopped asking. So it's just my curiosity that brings me to post a resemblance of it here on ATS. I'm curious if anyone knows if it has any religious or occult significance? Maybe it was a sign of rank for something, or maybe it meant nothing and was just a cool pin for her to wear. Any insight would be nice.

The picture isn't perfect. I'm sure some of the pieces were overlapped differently, but this is the best I could do for recreating it on the computer.

Anyone recognize anything?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6386425ff951.jpg[/atsimg]

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I think it's a common Celtic design.

celtic-tattoo.net...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I would go with this_is_who_we_are on that - definitely very Celtic to my eyes.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I figured it was something Celtic. There's definitely a witches knot entangled in the whole thing. But it's got that weird other piece woven into it too. It looked like a witches knot made of hearts and squares. I wasn't sure if that was a Celtic bit.

I know the witches knot is traditionally a protective emblem, is this also just a variant on a protection emblem then?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure if one can jump to a conclusion on witches on this one. To me, I see a cross with clover ends and as mentioned before, the celtic knotting designs. Most would agree it's Celtic surely, but beyond that, it could be anything from art to symbol.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yes Celtic symbol seems most likely, although it could be a sigil, or some kind of power symbol.

It doesn't mean its evil.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm still trying to find the meaning of your symbol but in the mean time I found these.

www.sampleireland.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It seems to my that it is a celtic knot:

Celtic knots are perhaps the most notorious and recognizable artwork in Celtic history.

They started appearing in history after about 450 AD; the Celtic knots meaning is sketchy at best, because there is little written history documenting their purpose.

However, repetition of their appearance through history in conjunction with other various human interpretations give us insight, and allow us to infer some basic information relating to the Celtic knots meaning.

The Celtic knot symbol, is also referred to as the mystic knot, or the endless knot. The more esoteric or spiritual meaning of this symbol eludes to beginnings and endings. In viewing these beautiful knots, we cannot see a beginning or and end, and therefore we are reminded of the timeless nature of our spirit. This translation harkens to our most primal selves as we contemplate the infinite cycles of birth and rebirth in both physical and ethereal realms.

A less spiritual representation is also related to the knots endless nature. Due to it's infinite path, the Celtic knot can represent an uninterrupted life cycle. Some may use this symbol as a charm of sorts – warding against sickness or setbacks that might interfere with an otherwise calm and stable life. In this vein, these knots are used as emblems, which can be found in jewelry, clothing, or home décor. In ancient times, gifts adorned with mystic knots would be given with best wishes of longevity, or luck with new endeavors.

Source:

www.whats-your-sign.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Irish/Gaelic "love" knot. Symbol of union sometimes.

Everything the poster above me said is true, but with this specific meaning behind it.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Visual_Death]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
its Celtic. but the harts are a new thing! modern.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
its Celtic. but the harts are a new thing! modern.

Not exactly modern actually. Have you ever heard of or seen a claddagh ring?

At least as old as the 17th century while the symbolism is much older. It uses a heart embraced by two hands topped with a crown to show, love, friendship, and loyalty, the 3 cornerstones of a relationship.

The heart itself is actually quite an old symbol.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
A friend of mine used to wear a pin with the below design on it. I tried asking her a few times what it meant, or where she got it; she always told me that it wasn't important. I eventually believed her and stopped asking. So it's just my curiosity that brings me to post a resemblance of it here on ATS. I'm curious if anyone knows if it has any religious or occult significance? Maybe it was a sign of rank for something, or maybe it meant nothing and was just a cool pin for her to wear. Any insight would be nice.

The picture isn't perfect. I'm sure some of the pieces were overlapped differently, but this is the best I could do for recreating it on the computer.

Anyone recognize anything?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6386425ff951.jpg[/atsimg]

~ Wandering Scribe

I think I'm looking at a basic Celtic Quarternary Knot. Some possible meanings for your symbol, and its hard to narrow it down to one.... But these were most common.

Indication of the four directions: North, South, East, West.
Indication of the four seasons.
Indication of the four great treasures of the Tuatha
A more modern indication of the four Latin Gospels in the Book of Kells
Indication of the four elements: Earth, Fire, Water, Air
Indication of the four Celtic fire festivals, Samhain, Beltane, Imbolc, Lughnasadh.
An emblem of Brigid, also known as the Queen of the Four Fires a she demonstrates her four-branched wisdom of hand, hearth, head and heart

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Thanks for all of the replies everybody. So, what I've learned from all of this is:

• It has a Celtic nature
• The looping signifies the infinite nature of our spirit
• The hearts could represent friendship/love/unity
• Traditionally the Celtic emblems are not dangerous

* Edit *

• North, East, South, West
• Earth, Air, Fire, Water
• Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn
• The Major Sabbats
• 4 Books of the Gospel
• Hand, Hearth, Head, Heart

DrJay, what are the "4 treasures" ?

*Edit *

I guess my next question would be what kinds of groups might give out something like this? Wicca? Witch Covens? New Agers? Spiritualist groups? Where might I look to find the people who might have designed and given it to her?

Anyone have any ideas? I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to tell me anything about the design, but some of you have, so I'm tacking on this additional question, maybe someone has an idea?

Thanks again for all the replies.

~ Wandering Scribe

[edit on 19/4/10 by Wandering Scribe]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The four treasures of the Tuatha de Danann

The Spear
Ruling Deity = Lugh
Ruling Element = Fire
Direction = South

The Stone
Ruling Deity = Fal
Ruling Element = Earth
Direction = North

The Sword
Ruling Deity = Nuada
Ruling Element = Air
Direction = East

The Cauldron
Ruling Deity = Dagda
Ruling Element = Water
Direction = West

The Divine Races of Ancient Ireland

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
In the Mythological Cycle of early Irish literature, the four treasures (or jewels) of the Tuatha Dé Danann are four magical items which the mythological Tuatha Dé Danann are supposed to have brought with them from the four island cities Murias, Falias, Gorias and Findias, when they arrived in Ireland.

A little more research... Druids use this symbol... Shield, protection from evil...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I guess my next question would be what kinds of groups might give out something like this? Wicca? Witch Covens? New Agers? Spiritualist groups? Where might I look to find the people who might have designed and given it to her?
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Well I live in a fairly small town and there is an Irish shop. She imports all kinds of Irish made jewelry as well as everything else you can think of. I got a spinner ring there with a Celtic knot.

If you live anywhere near a big city I'm SURE if you look in the yellow pages you can find a shop with all sorts of Irish and Celtic wares.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
@ DrJay and Destiny-Fate

So the four treasures are similar than to the Hermetic elemental weapons? My own spiritual/religious knowledge tends to not include much about the Celtic, Norse or Asatru bits. So, if I made the associations right, thanks for teaching me something new.

@ Chamberf=6

I actually live just outside of Chicago, so I'll probably try looking up any shops in the city that might do it. I was just more concerned with a group because I know she was a member of some kind of order. But she never really told me anything about. Now as I've tried retracing her footsteps I've decided that this emblem might be something interesting to look into.

Thanks again for the avenue to try.

~ Scribe

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
the eight pointed star is the primary symbol of

chaos:void

in an occult sense, this is likely the answer you are looking for.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Four wizards were in these cities. Fessus was in Faihias, Esrus was in Gorias, Uscias was in Findias, and Semias was in Murias. From them the Tuatha Dé Danann learnt wisdom and knowledge. No battle was niaintained against the spear of Lug or against him who had it in his hand. No-one escaped from the sword of Nuada after lie had been wounded by it, and when it was drawn from its warlike scabbard, no-one could resist against him who had it in his hand. Never went an assembly of guests away unsatisfied from the caldron of the Dagda. And the Lia Fail, which is at Tara, never spoke except under a king of Ireland.

Hope that helps

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Reminds me a bit of the clover knot. So the hearts might not be hearts but parts of a clover leaf aka good luck symbology?

- Phoenix

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join