It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Gaoled For Daughter's School Wagging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Don't know whether to think bastard government or bitch got what she deserved.

www.upi.com...

NORFOLK, England, April 16 (UPI) -- A British mother has been sentenced to 12 weeks in jail because of her teenage daughter's chronic truancy.

Alison Thomas, the county council cabinet member for Children's Services, said the sentence should be a warning to other parents, The Daily Telegraph reported.

"We have to show that we will be tough on these parents for the sake of their children and for the sake of other children whose parents are not ensuring they receive the education they are legally entitled to," Thomas said. "We know that bringing cases like this to court makes a difference.''

Lisa Ashford, a mother of five, received the sentence after her 15-year-old daughter, Racheal, had missed 100 days of school in four months at King Edward VII school in King's Lynn, Norfolk, England, and only 19 of the absences were authorized.

Ashford did not respond to letters or attend meetings about the absences.

Over the past seven years, the Telegraph said, she had five previous convictions linked to poor school attendance among three of her other children.

Ashford's lawyer, Alison Muir, said her client had a hard time coping with her daughter.

"The offense that my client has committed is that she was not able to force a willful 15-year-old to go to school," Muir said. "She is not the author of her own misfortune. She has tried what she can."

[edit on 19-4-2010 by acrux]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

"We have to show that we will be tough on these parents for the sake of their children and for the sake of other children whose parents are not ensuring they receive the education they are legally entitled to," Thomas said. "We know that bringing cases like this to court makes a difference.''

Maybe legally entitled to but, what to do when the kid refuses to take it.

If you don't send them to school, you can go to gaol.
If you use force to send them to school, you can go to gaol.

What do you do?

"missed 100 days of school in four months"

At maximum 31 days a month multiplied by 4, so 4X31=124
When you take to average 4 weeks plus a couple of days per month.
Thats 5 schooldays, 2 days weekend per week.
Average 20 schooldays +/- 1 or 2 days, 8 days for weekends +/- 1 or 2 days.
Then that gives us a possible maximum of 23 schooldays per month.
Then that gives us a possible minimum of 8 weekend days per month.
So even at the maximum of 92 schooldays in four months, 4X23=92
So even at the minimum of 32 weekend days in four months, 4X8=32
Giving us 32+92=124
Where does the 100 schooldays in 4 months come from?

Please correct my maths if wrong.

Yes I know 92 days in 4 months is bad enough, but why exaggerate the figures to make things even worse than they are?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
A link would be nice.

Is the father around? Or is she just going to have a house to herself now?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I would say that if she was trying to ensure that her child goes to school and failed, then she is innocent. There should be some system in place for cases like this, a social worker or policeman that would help her.

But if she wasnt trying and just let it be, and it seems this is the case, then she got what she deserves.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
well Im leaning more toward this mom
got what she deserved.

She's got 5 children and 3 of them have been
cited for truancy on 7 occasions. The numbers
add up to bad mommy IMO.

If it had just been 1 child, I might have said
problem child but not with 3 of them.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

A link would be nice.

Sorry, my bad. Up now?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Lovely so the state is now taking over the disciplining in the family for being late to school. Wow and I recall how some in the UK were saying it is freer then America... Sigh!

Yeah that will really help the family out put mum in jail so now there is no one to discipline the kid and now Mom can't make a living and may loose her job etc. wow what a great remedy and help the almighty state is to that family I bet they will be forever grateful to the state for straightening out all their problems in the family... /sarcasm

The truth is the state just wants to make sure the kids stay in state re-education camp er ah I mean school so they have good little drones who don't think for themselves and obey all state mandates without question and they will put mum on jail to make sure these ideals are indoctrinated into the kids if necassary... Amazing

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The truth is the state just wants to make sure the kids stay in state re-education camp er ah I mean school so they have good little drones who don't think for themselves and obey all state mandates without question and they will put mum on jail to make sure these ideals are indoctrinated into the kids if necassary.

Unfortunately I'm starting think with the way things are going these days, I would have to agree with you.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
From the upi article:

...said the sentence should be a warning to other parents...

...(implying a problem that is broader than this sole individual) who didn't have to face any punishment. lol

...sake of their children and for the sake of other children...

aka, the sake of our future slave-base

whose parents are not ensuring they receive the education they are legally entitled to,"

aka, whose anti-Western controllers are not ensuring the future of our a. workforce, b. ability to reach hands into the pockets of anyone we deem becomes on the verge of being too free to fail.

"We know that bringing cases like this to court makes a difference.''

"We know people will fear us."

Not saying it aint her fault her children will likely be failures. Trees aren't planted far from where the apples land, but that's some pretty much authoritarian stuff there.

I would have expected to see this kinda stuff in America in the last 9 years. Nope, don't really recall anything like that, at all. *Well, you know, minor things...lol

[edit on 19-4-2010 by shanerz]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I see both sides of this.

My mother never cared if I went to school or not, and I fell through the cracks, school never called to let her know I didn't attend that I know of. School didn't care mother didn't care so I got away with it. BUT.... even had they tried to do something about it, there would have been nothing they could do. I got on the bus every day, I just walked of campus. Lots of fun places to go near my school. Even had some one driven me and walked me to my first class, I would walk out half way though. Discipline and control in schools is an illusion.They have no way to enforce anything when you don't care about grades because all you are thinking about is becoming old enough to get a job and support your self, and no one bothered to tell you college was even close to being possible for someone in my situation. (They need to start telling kids that in grade school) Sorry for my tangent back on topic.
As far as the amount of kids she has goes. Well one only has to look at my ex's situation where his older sibling was the one getting the younger ones to ditch. When your oldest is rotten and influencing the younger ones, it makes it kind of hard. Especially if you are a single mom who has to be at work before the bus comes. So was it the mothers fault? It could be and it could very well be likely she is innocent. We just don't know, all we can do is speculate.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Was just talking about this with my wife.

Thing is, there isn't much a parent can do, short of dragging the kid into school everyday.

I was hardly at school at 15 either, but my parents had no knowledge of my truancy, because i used to go into registration, then leave the building for days out bunking on trains, going down to the beach etc.

In that case, if we follow the strictest definition of the law, my parents would NOT have been legally responsible for my truancy, but instead, the school would have been, for not ensuring me remaining in school once i'd got there.

So, when are we going to see teachers and headteachers in the dock, and placed inside 8x10 foot cells, for not ensuring kid's attendance once they are at school?

Never is my guess.

The parents can be thrown in prison though eh?

If a kid goes into the school, and then leaves during the day, the teachers are the responsible parties.

How many are up in court for not keeping the kids in school?

And while i'm on it, jailing someone 'As a warning to other parents' is an outright abuse of the law, and should be grounds for an appeal against sentence.

Each person that is jailed, is legally on a case by case basis.

It's like shooting dead a protester, to deter other protesters. It's draconian.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

It's like shooting dead a protester, to deter other protesters. It's draconian.

It wouldn't be the first time.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I think this is very wrong;

When I was in highschool I never went to school for the whole year and I eventually dropped out the following year;

And my parents were very strict about me going to school;
They even moved me to 2 different cities because they thought my friends were bad influences on me;
But really I was the bad influence on everyone else

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Not quite sure which way to lean on this. If they gave reasons why she was truant it would be easier. You can't exactly blame the mother, 5 kids is alot to handle and it sounds like she is a single parent. Can't they find a way to punish the kid?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Why is going to school a criminal issue? Shouldn't that be more of personal issue? Why should the state get involved? I understand I'll get some flames for this, but honestly, isn't this all a family issue? 70 years ago, it didn't matter if you went to school; a lot of people didn't make it past the 8th grade. What about home-schooled children? I know you probably have to fill out paperwork, but shouldn't it just be assumed that you're home-schooled and that paperwork only needs to be filed if you're going to a state run school? And if you decide as a family that the state run school is insufficient then shouldn't a simple phone call suffice for withdrawing your child?

Also, the student was 15, in some states 15 year olds have been tried as adults, so why is this any different? I know it occurred in the UK, but I'm sure a 15 year old has been tried as an adult there as well. I'm thinking the state is overstepping its boundaries, but thats just me.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamoverrated
Why is going to school a criminal issue? Shouldn't that be more of personal issue? Why should the state get involved? I understand I'll get some flames for this, but honestly, isn't this all a family issue? 70 years ago, it didn't matter if you went to school; a lot of people didn't make it past the 8th grade. What about home-schooled children? I know you probably have to fill out paperwork, but shouldn't it just be assumed that you're home-schooled and that paperwork only needs to be filed if you're going to a state run school? And if you decide as a family that the state run school is insufficient then shouldn't a simple phone call suffice for withdrawing your child?

Also, the student was 15, in some states 15 year olds have been tried as adults, so why is this any different? I know it occurred in the UK, but I'm sure a 15 year old has been tried as an adult there as well. I'm thinking the state is overstepping its boundaries, but thats just me.

I dont think this is a family issue, because I believe there should be some basic education everyone has to recieve, even if his parents dont agree or care. For example, if my parents decided that I dont have to go to school and state would not intervene, I would be uneducated now, and that would be a crime.
Same applies to home schools - you should be free to homeschool your child, but this homeschooling has to include all the knowledge they teach children in ordinary schools.

But you are right that if someone is old enough, he can choose to leave school himself. 15 years old could be enough age, IMHO.

top topics

join