It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the ATS Conspiracy Chicks

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Conspiracy Chicks, it is just a catchy title, I don't even see it as a sexy title,

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

There is nothing wrong with a feminine approach when advertising a product or service. I guess it just depends on the product or service. However, when it comes to being an information provider, it does tend to boil down to either style or substance. I think that when an information provider applies too much style, it can be perceived by the consumers that the substance is lacking (which is why it needs to be augmented with style).

So....with the roll-out of any new information service, I think care must be taken to present it in a way that it is taken seriously by the target audience. Now, if the purpose of the service is to provide entertainment, then pour on the style and give lip service to the substance. However, if the message and information to be delivered is of important content and is expected to be taken seriously, then the format that said information is to be presented must also be serious, lest the message be lost in the "fluff".

Methinks many people here take a lot of the information that flows to and from ATS very seriously, and do not consider it entertainment. Therefore, I'm not surprised at a somewhat negative reaction to what outwardly appears to be a minor detail.

There are other terms that could be used in place of "chicks". What about "mavens" or "savants" or "adepts" or "critics" ??

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I think the format is solid. Member threads being discussed in an intelligent way, by two outstanding members. It's a tried and tested concept that has worked in the past quite well in fact.

link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by seagrass

I think the problem I have with Conspiracy Chicks is the fact that both of these people have earned more respect from me than to be called chicks. They have moved beyond that plane of physical attractiveness to a level of respect that one reserves for a true friend, someone you respect, someone you trust, someone you can admire. To me, both of them have earned that distinction, not only through the intelligence they have shown in their postings, but also through the shear amount of [snip] that I have given them both and still they accept me.

I agree and understand your perspective. But they have moved out of that realm when they become "media personalities" in this case. I am sure these hot chicks of Fox news are also good intelligent women. If you want to appeal to "orthodox fan bases" basically new fresh meat... then they aren't going to know these women. They are going to see what ATS presents to them. And if they want to be personified as State and Country Hotties and Cuties then I hope it doesn't backfire. If any one calls me a conspiracy chick on here.. I'm gone.

link   
reply to post by whaaa

simple minds are simply amused

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Originally posted by AshleyD
I personally just don't see an issue in it. I don't get easily put off with something feminine or even something that brings attention to a feminine angle.....My perspective at least.

So then you would not object to the use of term "bimbo?"

It is a feminine reference that calls attention.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You know what IS sexist towards women ...

Thinking that you know better than someone else about what should offend them and lecturing them on your opinion ... nothing is more disempowering, condescending, and insulting than that imho, regardless if it comes from men or women.

If Ashley and Asala are ok with it, embrace it even, and ATS management supports them in this endeavor it is not anyone's place to judge either of them for how they choose to move forward.

Your sensibilities are vexed? Don't watch!
Your high horse is wounded? Don't watch!
You don't like it? Don't watch!

But don't come here and try to dictate what YOU think is appropriate based on YOUR moral sensibilities or lack thereof.

They are trying to change a paradigm, with humor, professionalism, and grace ...

Here's an idea ... get a camera, do your own show and pitch it to staff. Or get your own forum and do as you please.

Christ I've said it before and I'll say it again ... one of these days SO, Springer, and the rest of the folks upstairs are going to say the hell with these self entitled ingrates and dump the whole thing.

Asala, Ashley, please understand that most of us appreciate your efforts and wish you the best of luck and much success ... mostly we appreciate your courage to stand in front of all of this nonsense and grief from some of the membership and take it in stride. Many of us including myself would not manage to take such vitriol without sadness and even anger.

That in itself speaks to your character and assures me that whatever you undertake will be met with success.

[edit on 19 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Repeated for effect:

A friendly (sort of) reminder:

from the Terms And Conditions Of Use

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Please be mindful of the fact that Ashley and Asala are members of ATS first and foremost. When posts are made which are both personal and hurtful, then they are personal attacks and will not be tolerated.

Before you post, pretend that they are facing you in real life. If you expect a fist in the face for your comment, you perhaps shouldn't say it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3796713e8125.jpg[/atsimg]

link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
So then you would not object to the use of term "bimbo?"

Really?

I had previously rather high-regard for your apparent intelligence... but do you really expect anyone to believe there is no difference between the meanings behind the popular casual use of the words "chick" and "bimbo.?"

Or, were you attempting to find a way to call our staffers a clearly derogatory name?

Both perceptions of your post fit... which is it?

link   
Hangups, Rudes and Prudes, Oh My!?

I don't get by this way very often, but to read some of the rather obviously preconceived mentions and missives pertaining to the nomenclature being "sexist" is both unnerving and quite disturbing to say the least.

It's a mere Catch Phrase, folks ... and dead-on relevant to the topical focus of that which is posted and discussed on this site daily.

Best Buy - Geek Squad
Staples - Easy Techs
Conspiracy Site - Conspiracy Chicks

As a member above pointed out, it's not being presented in the derogatory or "sexist" manner many are alluding to but more as a means to garner attentions. If the sole intent was to draw from the "hottie"/"cutie" Chicks appeal, wouldn't they have gone all gaudy with the makeup and attire typically associated with that type "presentation" or "approach" to marketing such?

It just seems to me a helluva lot of hullabaloo over nothing more than individual misconceptions and misinterpretations.

How do you draw new faces and attentions to an otherwise and often dark, dismal, end of the world, cataclysmic, Oh Noes, ZOMG, they're out to get me Genre ... one that has historically been passed over or disregarded by the Average Joe for just those type reasonings.

... give them something Different ... something "New" and "Refreshing".

As I'd mentioned previously,
"What's That!? Girls!? ... talking about Conspiracies and the like!?" ... in a mostly male-dominated "genre"

To me it seems designed specifically to get that out of the blue, initial, eye-catching, "What the...!?" response/effect, and is not in any way presented nor portrayed in a derogatory or "sexist" manner with regards the hosts of the show.

Let's see... what rhymes with Conspiracy? ... for a show hosted by two women.

Central ... nah, that's taken.
Kooks ... yeah. right.

Corner ... eh, too bland and overused.
Quacks ... see *Kooks, above.

Chicks ... Yeah. That's it! Catchy and all too pertinent at the same time. Win/Win.

fwiw:
I really do believe it's more the "cutie" and "hottie" descriptors which seem to have a number of panties in a bunch here ... with the only merit for such being in the mind of the beholder, imo.

There's a saying,
"If you can't dazzle them with Brilliance ... baffle them with Bull#.

I, for one, am glad to see that ATS has chosen the former over the latter.

Hey. It could be worse. !?
They could have chosen me and my sister.

Actually, we're not so hard on the eye in real life. She's just the Nancy to my Ann (think Heart)

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Annie Mossity]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

With due respect. My comment was NOT directed at anyone. It was a word comparison. i.e. comparison of slang.

If I wanted to take a swan dive into the ban pool I would choose a more valiant cause.

My query WAS IN NO WAY meant as disrespectful. It was a word comparison. Sincere apologies if the concept was misconstrued.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

If could award an applause to just one post I've ever read here on ATS it would be your last one.

Come on people, let's get off the moral high horse and just wait and see.

Ashley herself has said that all comments, opinions and feedback will be considered etc.
Let's stop falling out with each other and just wait and see.

I admire the passion expressed by everyone and respect everyone's opinions, let's just stop the bickering...we are all better than this!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

my bad i thought they wanted peoples views/comments and honest ones at that?i personaly dont find peoples views insulting and unempowering i think thats down to how people put there views across not actually what there trying to say,there is many fine examples of it here i agree.

regards

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
19 pages of debate pretty civil, forthe most part over the title of the new show coming on ATS. 19 pages. Everyone's SERIOUS, opinion on a word. A bloody word. I do not know these women, yet I do not see them complaining about the title of their new show. Let's just watch the show before we come to these sexist conclusions. Its just a title, you know like the title of a movie.

I guess a relaxed enviroment is only for those type of people that can handle the respondsibility.

I do not want to be part of something so serious. Just a compliment to ATS, was all that was needed. Suppose to be a positive thing for us all. People reporting on what we discuss, and gives us their opinions, I mean common its suppose to be a success story. Let's relax. Have a beer, or something.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well I don't think the terms used are sexist, I for one would love to be called a cute hottie, I ain't heard that for thirty years,

Cute hot sexy, back in my day we were called foxes,
, why can't a lady be hot and sexy and intelligent,

Good grief.

[edit on 123030p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777]

I'm a guy...i don't think I'm called a fox lmao...hopefully not at least.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
AGAIN...I hate to post here again...but I have to.

To "again" clear something up that many people are saying and incorrectly conveying.

The use of the word "Chick" is not the only thing being ridiculed here. Making LONG POSTS saying that people are stupid for thinking the word "chick" is sexiest, are only proving that they DID NOT WATCH THE VIDEO IN ITS ENTIRETY.

The video ends with showing one female and then the words "the cutie" appear under her name.

Then another women is shown, and the words "the hottie" are shown.

Now I agree that the word "chick" can be taken in a lot of was, and not always be seen as sexual or negative.

But "cutie and hottie" are direct terms to identify us with them as "sexual creatures to be desired".

If you disagree, then I challenge you to tell me one damn thing you have learned on this site about the treachery of MSM's clockwork tactics of brainwashing and tricking the public.

ALSO!!!!

Enough of people saying that this is all about female rights and respect for women.

I am very clear in saying-

This marketing tactic, weather or not the women like it, is a direct insult to me as a MAN. It shows that someone somewhere within the editing process of this advertisement assumed me to be DUMB ENOUGH to fall for the sexuality of the shown women. Say that is wrong...say that is baseless...fact remains it is true.

Stop turning this into some thing where it looks like "men are saying women can't do stuff good enough"...and stop trying to say it isn't insulting if the girls are ok with it".

I personally am not OK with this site using marketing tactics like these on the males of this site.

I am going to try and not post here further.

But if people keep "going out of their way" to invent "silly arguments" that nobody has made, then I may return to clarify some more.

PS- Bimbo and N-word are slanderous terms and worse then all the "cutie, hottie honey mamas" in the world.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I believe this may be relevant:

Slang Dictionary

chick definition

1. n.
a girl or woman. : We're gonna take some chicks to dinner and then catch a flick.

Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.
Source: dictionary.reference.com...

I would also like to point out that a word in itself has no connotation; any connotation that exists does so only in the mind of the one reading or hearing the word.

TheRedneck
(edit to add source)

[edit on 4/19/2010 by TheRedneck]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Many people have made this point before but it's continuously ignored.

Nobody is saying anything negative about these women, apart from the few idiots and rude people at the start, people have nothing but praise and respect for them.

I don't even think the main annoyance or anger is in response to the title of Conspiracy Chicks, although the name is cheap and tacky.

The most alarming thing and perhaps the most offensive is the titles/nicknames that were added to these ladies.

The Texas Hottie and the British Cutie
How do either of those add anything of quality to the feature?

This video, apparently, is not aimed at members and is not even really for us, It's to reach out to a new demographic and get more people interested in Conspiracies.... So why the need to add that they're hot or cute?

I don't see what it adds or how it's relevant to what ATS is trying to achieve.

[edit on 19/4/10 by blupblup]

new topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join