It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronal Mass Ejection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
apod.nasa.gov...

Hello All,
Check out link above for sweet pic.

"Last week, it produced one of the largest eruptive prominences ever seen."

Cant believe nobody caught this one yet.
I thought this was pretty interesting being that the sun is in a "sleep" cycle.
Perhaps it is waking right on time ?

What does everyone think will happen with the sun in the next few years ?

PS: Hope I put this in correct forum.

-R3K

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The CME did not get too much attention because it did not hit the Earth, yes it produced flashes and spectacular sky in northern hemisphere but as long as it does not affect us directly people tend to avoid the subject. Two years ago there was another eruption in Iceland, but the wind direction was favorable and did not affect Europe at all, you surely did not heard too much about that. Many astronomers say that from 1980 the sun cycle has changed, it is harden to understand the mechanism and predict future sunspots cycle. I can only guess about that the future, Nassim Haramein and other researchers say that 2012-2013 cycle would be 30-50% stronger than the other 5-6 cycles in the past, so the news is not that good. We can only wait and see.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Pampamz]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Check out link above for sweet pic.

"Last week, it produced one of the largest eruptive prominences ever seen."

That is a nice pic!

When people digest their food, it's not without some belching and farting, I guess stars have their own version of that when they digest their "food", that's a pretty big belch!

When I see a massive CME like that, my first thought is, how is a manned mission to Mars going to protect astronauts from one of those that might get hurled in their direction? We just rolled the dice on the lunar missions which were so short that the chances of getting hit by a CME were minimized by the short time window. But the mission to Mars will take much longer, and effective shielding as far as I know adds a lot of weight to a craft that they're trying to make as light as possible, so it's a real engineering and safety problem.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Pampamz

The most recent predictions for Cycle 24 are that it is likely to be around 25% less intense than Cycle 23, as per the figures here...

As you can see, Cycle 23 peaked in March/April 2000 with approximately 121 sunspots...

Cycle 24 on the other hand, is likely to peak in September/October 2013 with approximately 90 sunspots, which is as I said, 25% less than the Cycle 23 peak...

Are we going to get geomagnetic storms with plenty of C & M class flares with the possibility of X class flares ? Of course we are...

But to suggest Cycle 24 is going to bring death and destruction to humankind is just fear-mongering

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
test

test
t
test

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Tremendous mass creation must make these ejections.
Or some kind of electrical phenomena.
A powerful voltage arc of plasma.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
check this thread for the biggie that went off today:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join