It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish airmada

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

True. But thats in the realms of Foil-Hat talk!

But then again, it is a good trainning exercise for all services involved and helps build public support.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by antuk

thanks.. so the comparison being made between Fulham and Barcelona was pants, as the situations are not comparable...

But a comparison between Liverpool and Fulham is valid, (and Fulham still comes off as a cry baby) as both have to get over the Channel..

Distance is not that issue (IMHO) getting over the channel right now is going to be a major issue for anyone..

Are teams allowed (for insurance reasons) to travel together on a single boat/plane to and from games or do they have to be seperated??? Given that point being reinforced by the sad loss of the Polish presidential aircraft.

As I can imagine if they have to be seperated, that right now with the chaos in the channel that would create major issues for teams crossing the channel.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
WTF this is not normal. It hides something.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

True. But thats in the realms of Foil-Hat talk!

But then again, it is a good trainning exercise for all services involved and helps build public support.

Even my straight laced partner has put her tin foil hat on for this, and thinks it a conspiracy by Gordo to try to get some votes, or at least not a kick in by the General public... *I was shocked*

But it's great to see the Services pick up a few Brownie points for a change.. Perhaps if they send some of the smaller RoRo's (perhaps a Bay class, I'll get to see one dock in here
as that would be cool...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I hope noone seriously thinks there going t be in for a easy ride simply because its the Royal Navy coming to save them. This is the beginning of the "Shock Doctrine" at work, where Marshall Law is implimented via Militaristic means. It frightens me that G.Brown thinks a Military vessel is more capable of looking after hundreds of stranded passengers than a kitted out Cruise-Ship is (especially having staff with experience.)

Well what ships are they sending? Isn't the QE2 part of the navy? In times past the Queens ships have been used for this type of thing.

Has Gordon Brown actually ever been on a warship? It's not like they've got a whole lot of space and seriously who wants hundreds of civilians walking around on warships for any period of time. "Hey whats this button do!!!!"

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
HMS Ocean and Ark Royal are 2 of the bigger ships there sending over. (Ark Royal being a Aircraft Carrier ironically.)

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Living on the SE coast, we have no real capacity left... In my home town, a Channel Ferry port, we have gone from 5 fair sized cross channel ferries to a single one.. hydrofoils also operated from here.. this has happened in the last 5 years, and is the level of devestation the industry is suffering.

There is no capacity to cope with anything extra in the system.. especially not at short notice.. so I welcome the RN taking part.. tho I can imagine it'll suck lemons to be stuck on Oceans or Ark Royals flight decks for the Journey.. but again that journey should be short enough..

Although I have not heard (I might have missed it) if they are putting on extra rail/bus or coach services to move the extra 1,000s that will be arriving.. again those services have been cut misserably back to the barebones over the last few years.. so there is no extra capacity there to move anyone..

The cinque ports are simply not what they used to be...

[edit on 19/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Has anyone even considered this.

Imagine for a minute that this is all a dry run to see how the governments will handle an event of a larger scale?
The way everything has been grounded you would seriously think that a major eruption had happened. The governments cant turn around and say "oh by the way we are to do a practice run on a mass evacuation because we have reason to believe that something very big is imminent.

OR

This is another step towards change. Ridding the world of Airlines. It will be interesting to see which, if any survive the financial situation. Guess we`ll see in a few weeks. Could be out with the old in with the new. Ties in with the automotive industries collapse globally, and if you really want to go for it by the balls then it all ties in with possible disclosure windows.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
I'm not a football fan so I am guessing by your comment that Barcelona are traveling across the Channel to play here and Fulham are refusing to cross the channel to plan in Europe???

Barcelona have to travel 1000 km to milan, and fulham i think have to goto hamburg in germany. Barcelona are in the champions league which is the highest competition and fulham are in the europa league which is the sec european competition.

But the english have the cheek to ask, when even the current european champions have to travel 1000 km to milan over two days it is taking them.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yep I got the info I was after thanks,

Tho comparing Barcelona and Fulham when only one team has to cross the channel messes your comparison up completly.. and since the channel is the topic of the thread.. i.e RN being called into help stranded nationals get back to these Isles.

The topic itself gives quite a good impression of the difficulties people are facing crossing the channel in either direction. So comparing Liverpool and Fulham would be a btter choice, since both have to cross the channel to get to their respective games.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Sure. This exercise could identify any possible problems in their plan of action.
Also, imagine if it was a diffrent volcano or ...the super volcano in Yellow stone?
What would be the implications of that based on whats happening with Eyjafjallajoekull? (s.p??)

Anyway, BBC-
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
lets just hope the ship doesn't sink though....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

tho I can imagine it'll suck lemons to be stuck on Oceans or Ark Royals flight decks for the Journey.. but again that journey should be short enough..

An aircraft carrier with a deck packed full of civilians? Something about that just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

tho I can imagine it'll suck lemons to be stuck on Oceans or Ark Royals flight decks for the Journey.. but again that journey should be short enough..

An aircraft carrier with a deck packed full of civilians? Something about that just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

What is Deja Vu for me is that HMS Albion is off to pick up 3rd battlion the Rifles from Spain..

3 Rifles which I beleive is the UKs most experienced unit in Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations.. and has operated those roles off HMS Albions sister ship, HMS Bulwark.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

But the channel is like 50 miles, and there is either boat or train. Do you think the british government could not get them on a train or boat if there was no room. The channel is only 50 miles of the journey, its just that the english wanted special treatment, while they know in any draw things like this could happen.

Barcelona have now arrived in milan but it took since yesterday. You telling me that fulham if they left today could not be in hamburg by tomorrow night.

Whats the difference?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I somehow don't think the British Governments halfway through an election campaign would put that all to one side to sort out Fulham FCs travel arrangments..

If Fulham are being silly, then's it's Fulham being silly, Since Liverpool have made their arrangements.. hence me saying saying your comparison was flawed.. which it is..

You can say it is only 50 miles across the channel.. I live in one of those Ferry ports, 50 miles of water that tens of thousands of people are trying to cross, so travel arrangements are not easy for anyone, hence the Royal Navy getting involved... All in all, Fulham FC are no one special..

Anyway so why do YOU feel they should get preferental treatment??

Besides if it came to it Barcelona FC could walk to their next match, but somehow I don't think Fulham FC can walk on water, since if they could I am sure they would be the cup winners instead

So in response to your comparison, I was making an honest comparison, Liverpool and Fulham..

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well they had to do something but I agree that sending navy ships is a bit strange.

So many are just stranded with no money left for trains, buses, car rental. I would have thought the various British Embassies could have co-ordinated some sort of financial help at short notice and it would be far less costly than sending the navy.

I read that as long as you're on an EU airline then they are responsible for accommodation, food, etc. It's the people stuck in non-EU countries that are really struggling as they're totally on their own and many have run out of money. Not only are they having to pick up the bill for hotels and food but they've been told they'll have to buy a new ticket once airspace is open!

So once the navy rescue all the Brits in Europe are they going to travel to all the various non-european countries to pick up stranded passengers?

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Maya00a]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

That is Deja Vu for me is that HMS Albion is off to pick up 3rd battlion the Rifles from Spain..

3 Rifles which I beleive is the UKs most experienced unit in Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations.. and has operated those roles off HMS Albions sister ship, HMS Bulwark.

Are they going to have a fleet of ASW guarding this ship with flight decks full of civilians while there is volcanic ash in the air that is really bad for jets?

It's screaming out sink me.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by belial259]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I think some people are not seeing the economical side of this..

It would cost much more to have a cruise ship pick up passengers than a carrier, simple reason is you have to hire it from the company who aren't going to give discount, as they know how the land lies now.

Although I can't work out how people are drawing to this 'marshal law' conclusion :S they're bringing people back from a foreign country, not imprisoning them.

The reason the GB has initiated this is this: my old high school had 18 teachers stranded in random places in the globe. They hired 15 supply staff to cover the classes etc. This was at a cost of £8,000 compared to the £6,500 the normal staff would usually cost. so that's -£1,500 in one day. if you take that as an average and spread it across the country, that's over £1,000,000 cost to the country's education system, and if flights aren't up this week, it'll be tens of millions.

As i said before though, utilising commercial transport probably isn't an option because the g'ment can't 'commandeer' those vehicles, only hire them and since the Chunnel trains have near tripled their prices in conjunction with the lack of flights, it's cheaper to mobilise the navy.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz

Spanish airmada

www.thesun.co.uk

A HUGE armada was being planned last night to rescue Brits stranded in the volcano air crisis by SAILING them home from Spain.

The Government was working on a scheme to tell UK citizens to get to Spanish seaports and be picked up by the Royal Navy.

It came as the spread of volcanic ash left a million Brits trapped abroad, threatening chaos today for schools due to reopen after the Easter holidays

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

nice find-
this is really cool, like an old-fashioned pirate story or something.

"Land, ho"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join