It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

internets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Think for a moment.. If we didnt have the internet..would we even be concerned or care? Doubt it, we would all be watching tv or outside enjoying life and 2012 would roll around and 2013 would come.

I blame the internet for the 2012 hype.

I'm sueing

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The internet has managed to fuse independent pieces of crap into what is now one giant collection of crap.

2012 has become synonymous with Nibru, Annunaki, Planet X, Nemesis, etc. When they have nothing to do with each other.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm sure people read books before the internet, technology can be blinding true, but the Mayans knew about 2012 (apparently) which i'm sure is well documented. Stories of what's to come in 2012 (or not) would still be around IMO even if the internet wasn't.

Satellite1

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Isn't it strange that the Baby Boomer generation was economically and standard of living-wise 'better off' than we are today?

They didn't have the internet but they did have television and they got brainwashed but it worked.

lol at the implications of that.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xagathorn

You got a point about that. The internets the only way I found out about 2012 when I was reading an article about the LHC a long time back lol.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
Isn't it strange that the Baby Boomer generation was economically and standard of living-wise 'better off' than we are today?

Are you sure? Living standards increase with each successive generation, in general. The US has slipped compared with other countries, but economic growth/development, GNP, technological, medical advances will always lead to better standards of living. Maybe the crash has more to do with massive corporate/financial fraud and investing trillions in the war effort, less to do with the failure of the internet or TV for propaganda purposes.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xagathorn
Think for a moment.. If we didnt have the internet..would we even be concerned or care? Doubt it, we would all be watching tv or outside enjoying life and 2012 would roll around and 2013 would come.

You're wrong, man. There were plenty of "alternative" bookshops and run-down cafes back in the day where seedy characters such as myself would gather with like-minded cranks to swap cheaply-printed, spine-cracked books and panphlets with content more lurid than the ravings of any Geocities-based tinfoil-hatter.

The only difference is there is a lot more such info available and its reaching a wider audience now. The bookshelf-full or so of crank-lit it took me a year to ferret awaty away can now be accessed in a single afternoon.

Heaven, I tell you. Heaven. On teh intrawebz, nobody knows your tinfoil hat is shiny-side in instead of shiny-side out!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

There were plenty of "alternative" bookshops and run-down cafes back in the day where seedy characters such as myself would gather with like-minded cranks to swap cheaply-printed, spine-cracked books and panphlets with content more lurid than the ravings of any Geocities-based tinfoil-hatter.

I didn't read that.

A lot of news and information is loosely submitted via the internet. Sure we could see the shady odd character with camo lace up boots holding pamphlets at the bookstore or the rare message on the TV news, but most messages are delivered and received over the internet.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nal War

Originally posted by sremmos

Maybe the crash has more to do with massive corporate/financial fraud and investing trillions in the war effort, less to do with the failure of the internet or TV for propaganda purposes.

I don't think anybody did anything illegal, actually.
/edit: Well, I'm sure you can find a few people out there who committed fraud, but those few people were not responsible for the systemic failures of the wallstreet and the banks.

The reason the economy went down the tubes was mostly due to massive (epic) failures in the private sector and in the "free market."

If we learn anything from this, it's that "the market" is not infallible... not by a long shot.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Kaytagg]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You have to look at logically, instead of believers panicking over it, why can't they just enjoy life ?

I mean if 2012 is the end of humanity and if it's a case of a massive planet hidden by the sun crashing into us or something on the scale of 2012 (the film) with the earth becoming geologically unstable or if it's a solar flare or an asteroid, then what can we do to stop any of it from happening ?

The truth is we can't do anything to halt this so called impending doom, we can't alter things on the scale being suggested so why worry ?

Best thing anyone can do is just sit back and enjoy the ride, you're going to see something truely spectacular before you die if it's the case so enjoy your life while you have it.

And if you can't do that simple thing of enjoying life because you have a self destructive nature, then at least have the courteosy to do it on your own and not bring others down to your level!

I'm not going to let prophecies of the end of the world stop me from enjoying life while I currently have it, it's a shame everyone can't think that way.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Personally I'm pretty skeptical about the whole 2012 thing, although I find it very interesting.

The phenomenon basically (as far as I can tell) stems from two sources: 1) the Mayan calendar and 2) "Novelty Theory" of Terrance McKenna. NEITHER of these predict disasaster or destruction per se, by the way. That element is an hysterical extrapolation of the two theories above.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
haha really??? just think...without the internet u probably wouldn't have started this thread.....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
The internet has managed to fuse independent pieces of crap into what is now one giant collection of crap.

Sorry about the minimalist reply, but I must commend you on that description of the internet...very good! Can I use that on occasion?

join