It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Images of Iceland Volcano from Just a Few Kilometers Away

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
2 questions for anybody with answers...

1) Why is it ok for helicopter to fly that close but all flights in Germany are down?

2) Does a volcano create lightening?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
Wow, those are all awesome pics. Please forgive my ignorance but is lighting in volcanic eruptions like that normal? I had never seen or heard of anything like that but then I know nothing about volcanoes. What is going on in there?

I am aware of lightening in volcanic ash clouds directly above the eruption point however I am intrigued as to whether we will see similar affects of lightening in Ireland and the Uk/England/Wales/Scotland. The clouds here are of volcanic ash as we have had clear blue skies for over 3 days and since yesterday afternoon which was the Sunday 18/04/2010 we have been watching the skies turn from blue to layers and layers of dusty, mucky dark blue cloud formation coverage with very little to no wind passing over.

Its very unusual and has myself and others at concern as I am a Storm Chaser and enjoy chasing hurricanes, rain storms, hail storms etc but because this is a volcanic ash cloud/toxic rain I'm at concern with the rainfall for the sake of our cars last night being coated in dust aswell as the streets and houses. Then of coarse as this rain evapourates we will all be breathing in fall-out dust.

I've been told its most dangerous on the surface than high up in the sky as we breathe our daily air.

The clouds do appear to be getting thicker by the day and hardly a spec of rainfall its the weirdest cloud formation I've ever seen. What is also for concern is the amount of steam erupting from Icelandic Volcano as we were told earlier that it now is melting a lot of ice which could cause floods.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

1) Because their propulsion system is less vunerable to engine damage from volcanic ash as opposed to jet engines where it would go straight in the big turbines at the side. My second answer is that Choppers are as hard as Chuck Norris, beating the hell out of physics.

2) My guess, as an amateur is convection current, the hot plumes from the volcano rising to meet with the cold air and causing condensation; water and i guess its a mixture of chemicals and heat which cause the electro activity xD. but someone put me right.

[edit on 19//4/1010 by misteRee]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

OMG this one looks like the weapon that hit Atlantis!
I saw it at a lucid dreaming session I once had....

reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

and that one is the giant smoke worm with its insides that were made of fire and lava and its teeth and claws were like made of thunders...
It was send to finish the job after the main disaster had hit the forsaken island of Atlantis...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Some more picz

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

Now those inspired me to draw a theme with CERN in mind...
CERN randomly popped in my head..don't know why..

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by misteRee

1) Because their propulsion system is less vunerable to engine damage from volcanic ash as opposed to jet engines where it would go straight in the big turbines at the side.

The helicopter also uses a gas turbine like any jet aircraft.

The difference is the helicopter is flying to the SIDE of the cloud, which is clear air.

Just because you can't see the cloud does NOT mean it is not there, and as it is in the airspace that commercial aircraft fly through, they're all grounded.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by trusername

2 questions for anybody with answers...

1) Why is it ok for helicopter to fly that close but all flights in Germany are down?

2) Does a volcano create lightening?

1 question: Why KLM has "magic" airplanes that don't take damage by ash, as their CEO claimed in their recent test flight?

Answer: They don't have magic airplanes since they probably lied claiming their engines didn't reveal damage from volcanic ash and obviously it had to be a trick so their stocks won't hit rock bottom soon.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
There truly amazing photo's, Just shows mother nature's wrath in a few pictures!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Some more awesome photos from MSN today...check em out

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There's a sweet picture on the NASA apod.

NASA pic

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Awesome images OP! S&F

Check these out too:

www.weather.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This picture from the msnbc site is insane!

media.abovetopsecret.com...

LOL that thing has PURE chaos, destruction, and death written allll over it!!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
check this site:

www.boston.com...

Personally I like the picture i would describe;

"we fly around the ash"

enjoy...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
www.boston.com... 30 or 40 spectacular pictures of the Eruption. Lots of volcanic lightening!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow.

Those pictures are amazing.

The one with the lightning is very strange.....

Thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Nobody is going to mention how terrifying this thing is?

Terrifyingly beautiful.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Phlynx - Did you notice how your avatar looks a lot like this volcano??

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I am in awe of these images!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/497c5baa7181.jpg[/atsimg]

It's like the devil himself is coming up from hell...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
dear ats'ers i was wondering how volcanic eruption causes lightning ?? ...any experts in here

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join