It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Images of Iceland Volcano from Just a Few Kilometers Away

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
www.universetoday.com...

Quote from source:
Astronomer Snaevarr Gudmundsson from Iceland was able to travel to within just a few kilometers from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano, and shared his incredible close-up images with Universe Today. "I stayed near the volcano from about 16:00 hours to 22:00 hours on Saturday and watched its impressive eruption," Gudmundsson said in an email to me. "Amazing event, awesome explosions of 1200 °C hot magma reaching ice and water. I shot more than 550 images during these hours of continuous enjoyment. Sounds ridiculous but its ever changing appearance was never boring."
The massive plume put on an impressive display – from lightning forming within the plume to an incredible amount of spewing ash. On one of following pictures you can see helicopter for size comparison of the plume

I had to show these pictures because they are amazing. And as for (hopefully) one of the biggest volcano's to explode in a while, a good couple of pictures are worthwhile.

Awesome pictures!!

I hope you all enjoy the beauty of nature.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

awesome pics! thank you very much for sharing these! i really like the one that shows the lightning. seeing a volcano up close is one thing i want to do before i die.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Wow man.

That picture with the lightening is awesome. Think that will be my wallpaper for the next couple of days. Nice find.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Awesome pics! Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Cool pics, especially of the lightening. Also has Katla erupted yet, they are worried about that one going up.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Those are amazing pics. Thanks for posting.

Here's one that stunned me when I saw it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2facfb08c044.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

awesome pics! thank you very much for sharing these! i really like the one that shows the lightning. seeing a volcano up close is one thing i want to do before i die.

I kind of get where your coming on this. I would love to see it too, from a far, far distance away. It's like a tornado, beautiful, but very destructive and I think if I saw one, I would be to busy trying not to pee my pants to enjoy it.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
wow, very nice set of pics from a few members
thanks for this

s&f

quite breathtaking to say the least

now, next question

is this natural or man-induced???

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

This picture is amazing! WOW! I think this and the lightning pic are my favs. I saved this one to my desktop.
I dont know if I would want to be that close to a volcano though

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You can see Eyjafjallajokull spewing magma tonight on the live cam:
eldgos.mila.is...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks buddy!!

Awesome picture yourself. That one is absolutely stunning. I would hate to be the people that live in that house though. I would be ducking and covering preparing for the worst. Could you imagine living there and not knowing what happened and looking out your back door and seeing that? Geez, a moment of terror.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I am going to go natural for sure on this one. I doubt anyone would make the airline companies loose 200 million a day from anything man made. This volcano has done this many times before and nothing to make it seem out of the ordinary.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by drclifford

Thanks buddy and cool link. A little too slow moving for me though. Almost like watching paint dry.

But I will watch it off and on just to see what is going on.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Wow, those pictures are amazing! Yet brutal...

The first one is probably the most epic thing I've ever seen.
The guy who got that photo should be awarded.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yes, that picture is majestic.
Couldn't think of a better word haha

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

I agree. I wonder how fast the smoke plume was moving and if it was coming towards him. I also wonder why he would not take more pictures. Or maybe he did but that one was just fantastic and wanted to share it. Either way that one photo is worth plenty more than a thousand words.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
next question after seeing these photos

has anyone checked to see if the poles
are where they're supposed to be??
Something inside earth has to be changing
with all that coming out.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Another stunning photo!! And from the vantage point appears it could possibly be the same person and camera.

Pred...

Edit to add: Geez, after staring at this photo, I think I would be running faster than I ever had before.
I bet I would be able to break a few olympic records.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Incredible pictures, I especially like the one with the lightning - storms always calm me down, and I always loved watching lightning storms so seeing the picture of the volcano plus the lightning is just breathtaking. Wish I could be there to view it myself.

S&F - thanks for sharing these

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow, those are all awesome pics. Please forgive my ignorance but is lighting in volcanic eruptions like that normal? I had never seen or heard of anything like that but then I know nothing about volcanoes. What is going on in there?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join