It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. on Target to Withdraw Combat Troops From Iraq by September!-Gen. Odierno

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

U.S. on Target to Withdraw Combat Troops From Iraq by September!-Gen. Odierno

www.foxnews.com

The United States is "on target" to remove all combat troops from Iraq by the beginning of September, the top U.S. general in Iraq said Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Thank God and it is about time. If they can't take care of themselves by now, they never will be able to.

The time and money we have spent there is no longer viable to the main mission. Should we have ever gone there? Well, I say yes but now I say we stayed too long and fought the battle all wrong.

Besides, we have to get ready to deal with Iran and the nukes. Yes, we have to do it. No one else can or will.

www.foxnews.com

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
As soon as we leave it will turn into one big violent mess. Just watch. We never should have gone into Iraq in the first place. Countries like that need a dictator in some form or another as long as those areas of the world are ruled by religious fundamentalism. Until the middle eastern people can learn to think outside of their religion that area of the world will never change.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Thank God and it is about time. If they can't take care of themselves by now, they never will be able to.

The time and money we have spent there is no longer viable to the main mission. Should we have ever gone there? Well, I say yes but now I say we stayed too long and fought the battle all wrong.

Besides, we have to get ready to deal with Iran and the nukes. Yes, we have to do it. No one else can or will.

www.foxnews.com

Yep, we're preparing to invade Iran. The propaganda is everywhere these days, and has only been escalating since about 2004. This was obviously all planned out in advance. The media seems to have done a job on you as well. We have no right to tell other countries that they can and can't have nukes.

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
As soon as we leave it will turn into one big violent mess. Just watch. We never should have gone into Iraq in the first place. Countries like that need a dictator in some form or another as long as those areas of the world are ruled by religious fundamentalism. Until the middle eastern people can learn to think outside of their religion that area of the world will never change.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the posters above in their point that once the Coalition forces withdraw from Iraq, we will see a spike in violence. Also Iran will start to have a greater influence in that region as it was always a goal of Iran's regime to infiltrate Iraq.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Makes me wonder if the recent Iranian threat to remove our forces from Iran and Afghanistan is beginning to take affect on the Obama regime. Is this in regard to the Iranian demand to remove our forces?

Who knows, but the last thing I expect is for Obama to admit that he is complying with Iran's request to pull out our forces from Iraq and other places from the Middle East as a condition of peace and stability.

Is Obama complying with Iran's demands? Are we seeing Obama flinch? Is this a sign that Obama has been marginalized? Time will tell but it seems pretty convenient to have us announce a pull out date on the same day that Iran demanded that we pull our forces out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Strange indeed.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The troops will just be relocated to Afghanistan or Iran... It's not like the amount of military deaths and civilian casualties will go down.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I certainly have no problem with American advisors remaining in Iraq . Unlike the US military presence in Europe and South Korea which is for political expeditionary only the advisors in Iraq have a chance to accomplish something . History tells us that from post war Germany and Japan that it takes twenty five years for the population to go from militarism to buying consumer goods . So assuming Iraq can contain its internal differences I will be fifty by the time we know just how successful the Iraq mission has been .

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay Electronica
The troops will just be relocated to Afghanistan or Iran... It's not like the amount of military deaths and civilian casualties will go down.

I tend to agree. I seriously doubt our troops will be returning home from Iraq. After all, TPTB have been saying for sometime how many more troops are needed in Afghanistan. Logistically that would make sense to transition them directly from one theater to another. And then there is Iran, which they have been wanting to bring down for a very long time.

I also keep remembering something from one of my history books from college, that the people in the ME have been fighting amongst themselves for at least 4,000 years, and much of it revolves around territory and/or one religion or another. I think within time after the US troops do leave Iraq the gloves will be off and it will be right back to square one.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Its expected there will be a status of forces agreement and some troops and bases will remain behind. They won't be there to maintain security or anything like that. Instead they will continue to train Iraqi troops and do military exercises with them.

The Iraqi army is at almost 300,000 troops, even bigger than Israel's army. I'm sure our goal is to provide a counter to the Iranian military.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The United States is "on target" to remove all combat troops from Iraq INTO IRAN by the beginning of September, the top U.S. general in Iraq said Sunday.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Its expected there will be a status of forces agreement and some troops and bases will remain behind. They won't be there to maintain security or anything like that. Instead they will continue to train Iraqi troops and do military exercises with them.

Seems like a perfectly sensible measure to me .

The Iraqi army is at almost 300,000 troops, even bigger than Israel's army. I'm sure our goal is to provide a counter to the Iranian military.

Providing Iraq survives as a democratic state it will really need a strong military to deal with its internal problems and deter Iran and other nations in the region from invading . One of the challenges for Iraq's leaders would be the need to balance out defending the country with making investments in rebuilding the country's infrastructure and in other areas such as education .

top topics

join