It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally seen an SR71!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
They have a SR-71 and the YF-12 at Wright Patterson AFB in the National Museum of the United States Air Force as well as a D-21 Drone on display. A lot of people don't know that the D-21 is the reason we have the F-117. If the CIA would not have allowed the Skunk Works to use the radar cross section data of the D-21 to prove their ability they would of never been allowed into the compatition to build a stealth.

I am willing to bet that this will be the last major breakthrough for manned flight due to the current democratic leadership. Cheap and unmanned is all I hear about anymore.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Lucky! My favorite of all Military aircraft.

Don't know what else I can say aside from great pictures

Hope I can go see this one day.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Cool, since they have cancelled the SR-71 program.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ukmicky1980

gratz man. thats one of my fav planes of all time. my uncle actually worked on them in the old days. the 71's rock!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
NASA's Research Facilty and Space Camp facility in Huntsville, Alabama has an SR-71 plus the USS Pathfinder parked right next to it as well. I was 14 when I went there for the day.

It's longer then The Statue Of Liberty is tall.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

It's longer then The Statue Of Liberty is tall.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

Not quite, though they're close.
The Statue of Liberty is 111' from heel to top of head, and 151' from base to torch.

The Blackbird is 107.5' OAL.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ukmicky1980
Ever since seeing a picture of one many years ago, I've hoped to see one in the flesh someday, and today was that day

What I always found interesting about the SR-71 was how it feels. The skin of the thing actually feels rough, kind of like the bottom of a Teflon skillet, but rougher. Also, if you look along any of the lines of the thing, you'll notice that they aren't straight. They're actually kind of wavy, which I gather is necessary to get the air flowing correctly at high speeds and altitudes.

Yeah, it's an interesting piece of equipment, and really makes you wonder what they're working on these days, if this is 50 years old.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
If you're ever in Louisiana, you can see an SR-71 and a host of other planes at the Eighth Air Force Museum at Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA.

The little museum is rather modest, but the Air Park is pretty impressive. Shreveport's my home town, so when I go home to visit relatives, I stay at Barksdale and am most often billeted just across the parking lot from the Air Park.

The SR-71 is the first aircraft you encounter when entering from that location. It's quite a sight.

www.8afmuseum.com...

[edit on 2010/6/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
awsome plane,wish to see one some time myself.

what i would give for a ride in that bird presure suit an all
of course.the ultimate T-W-O-C

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, TX has one on display outside the main parade ground. Don't know how long it's been there but it was there in 1990 when I went through basic. Still there as far as I know. Pretty awesome aircraft.

www.waymarking.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Ever since seeing a picture of one many years ago, I've hoped to see one in the flesh someday, and today was that day

What I always found interesting about the SR-71 was how it feels. The skin of the thing actually feels rough, kind of like the bottom of a Teflon skillet, but rougher. Also, if you look along any of the lines of the thing, you'll notice that they aren't straight. They're actually kind of wavy, which I gather is necessary to get the air flowing correctly at high speeds and altitudes.

Yeah, it's an interesting piece of equipment, and really makes you wonder what they're working on these days, if this is 50 years old.

Thats because on the Ground the thing barely fits together or flies at all. All of its parts expand under the low pressure and intense heat of high altitude fast flight. On the ground the plane leaks oil and rattles and take off was always a very shaky endeavour!

Once at altitude though it supposedly flew like a Cadillac! Took a few states to turn one around.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Nice pictures. Neat looking aircraft. Thanks for sharing.

reply to post by woodwardjnr

I know that this isn't the best model, but it does fly for a minute. Of course once built you need a launch pad and some rocket motors, but they're really pretty cheap. Estes SR-71 BlackBird Kit

[edit on 18-6-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

It truly was/is an awesome machine!

awesome at crashing, 1/3 were lost, should be renamed "flyin coffin".

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
What is it with the snakes though

Habu

Other: * A nickname for the SR-71 Blackbird and A-12 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft.

The locals on Okinawa christened the Blackbird "Habu", and it kinda stuck - look at the patches..

SR 71 Kadena AB, Okinawa

top topics

<< 1   >>

join