It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminder: Walmart destroying our economies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Allrite I work for wally world and have for about 2 years.

It really is not a bad job. I get paid enough to support myself until I can move on.

If your there for ten years, the amount of money you would be making is very good. Their benefits have improved ALOT over the last couple years. The work there is nothing. The amount of "hard" work I do in an 8 hour shift probably lasts half an hour. The same goes for pretty much the whole store.

I have never been treated badly by management, but there are always the ones who are douche bags just like in any company.

Seriously walmart has improved in almost every area of the company just since i've been there. And why do you people think not shopping at walmart is gonna change anything??? Wally world is no different then any other large retail/grocery chain out there. where do you Target gets their stuff?

Instead of complaining about a STORE why don't you actually complain about something that's hurting us, like 2 wars, or the NWO, and the list goes on.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This may be a territorial observation but the walmarts near me are transitioning from the usual crap to full out grocery stores. They are locking horns with the competition and the result is, on average, about a 25% gain for consumers with respect to food purchases. We all are very well aware of the state of the economy and mounting unemployment. Everyone needs to eat and if walmart is considerably cheaper for food its a no brainer. People can lament about how harsh walmarts business or labor practices may be but the consumer doesn't give a damn. They just want the same food that major grocery stores offer at a much cheaper price.

brill

[edit on 18-4-2010 by brill]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Shake

if you watched the videos the op linked you would not be saying this. i watched the first and can honestly say i will never shop in that worthless store again

I've seen them before. No offense but if you, like others, are that influenced by internet videos then you don't have the critical thinking skills to see through the bias presented to you. Such videos convince people that 911 was an inside job and governments are spraying people with "chemtrails", etc. I guess they can convince you that certain businesses are unworthy as well.

so because a video is presented on the internet all the employees backing up the claims made by the video are invalid? and because it is a video all of the information presented in it is automatically false because everyone on the internet is out to trick you for lols? The whole youtube arguement can be applied to any conspiracy on this site and honestly its getting old

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Shake]

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Shake]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

You heard it here first.

The only Walmart we have in Cape Cod, that's in Falmouth, is only stocking a few items. Last time i was there heater wasnt working and everyone was freezing. As i said, they downsized everything and you're hard pressed to find more than one or two of the same items. At most they are three deep. I kid you not.
AND its like that now all the time.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

so because a video is presented on the internet all the employees backing up the claims made by the video are invalid? and because it is a video all of the information presented in it is automatically false because everyone on the internet is out to trick you for lols? The whole youtube arguement can be applied to any conspiracy on this site and honestly its getting old

Sorry but I am not easily swayed by anything that doesn't follow at least some of the accepted standards of journalism. By all means believe what you like but I'm not as easily influenced by biased web videos as you seem to be.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Walmart is coming to my town soon. It's one of those ones with the grocery section. I think it's going to put all the grocery stores out of business. Walmart will come in with low prices, put everyone out of business, and then jack the prices up to normal levels. I've been reading about this for years. We all know it's coming. All the grocery store workers are going to lose their jobs. Businesses that have been around since the 50's are going to go under. BTW, Walmart is the #1 ranked business in America. Did someone say they were going to go out of business? That's ridiculous. They're just going to keep spreading like a disease. I'll never step foot in that place when it comes here. I agree that Walmart is doing damage to this country. People who had grocery jobs are going to be unemployed or working for minimum wage at Walmart. Is it worth it? When people shop there, they will be spending money they made there or were given from the government. There are no other jobs for these people.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Nemesis0123]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nemesis0123

It's all because of that t.v. show "The Price is Right" -- people just look at price tags without considering what effect it has -- how much goes back to the local economy? How much did the workers get paid? What's the environmental cost? How much taxes did I have to pay to subsidize this price? How many people lost good paying jobs for this price?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I have alot of experience with Wal-Mart. My past employer did alot of business with them and I was personally responsible for the account. My wifes company is a supplier to walmart who happens to be their largest retail customer in the US.(second in Canada)

I am in Canada and I cannot stand shopping there. Walmart has alot of rules for businesses they work with, many of them are very good. For instance they will only give you so much business up to a specific percentage of your revenue. They dont want companies going out of business if they lose walmart as an account.

Anyway, the quality of products is terrible and shows that you get what you pay for. Many small bus around here are still going despite walmarts presence.

Walmart tried to bring "Sams Club" here, but it failed miserably. They have recently expanded some of their stores into the grocery market. I went grocery shopping there last week just to check it out.

It was awful. The prices were in a lot of cases more expensive then the existing big chains. The store itself cannot compete in anyway to a couple of the chains I frequent, unless they really change it up.

Personally I think walmart has hit or is nearing the ceiling and can only go down from here.

I have seen protests in more than one location against building walmart stores and these protests have been successful.

They are giants, but they can be beaten.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Sorry but I am not easily swayed by anything that doesn't follow at least some of the accepted standards of journalism. By all means believe what you like but I'm not as easily influenced by biased web videos as you seem to be.

Thankyou for your absolute intelligence. Maybe I'll fallow your footsteps and ignore what I've seen with my two eyes in the real world.

What has happened in these videos is a reflection of what really has happened, and what I've seen around the country.

I'm not a hermit and I've been to many different areas; I have eyes.

I do not condemn you for disagreeing But your shear negligence to refer to real world examples has convinced me that your take on the argument has no grounds and you are saying what ever comes to your mind, showing no evidence of contemplation or reflection.

As per #2 Walmart has a high turnover rate. Jobs usually don't last too long there. It's a marketing stratagy to keep as few "experienced" workers around so Walmart has to pay fewer high wages to it's workers. But again some people say that Walmarts ethics have gotten better over the last couple years, so maybe it's not quite so much the case.

Clearly we have different value systems between us. You can not have a fair trade arguing with different value systems. So maybe you can actually challenge my point of view with a deep and well thought out argument.

So, you say that it's just business and that companies deserve to get put out of business because they can't compete. So, does that mean that it's ok that mass's of people get hurt as a result? That wage standards get lowered? Should I have to settle for lesser quality materials as a domino affect?

Would the price resulted from bad regulations be as much as a problem if everyone has more money to pay for U.S. products?

Is it ok for CEO's of monopoly businesses to fill their pockets at the expense of the individual who doesn't have direct control over them?

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by Scarcer

You heard it here first.

The only Walmart we have in Cape Cod, that's in Falmouth, is only stocking a few items. Last time i was there heater wasnt working and everyone was freezing. As i said, they downsized everything and you're hard pressed to find more than one or two of the same items. At most they are three deep. I kid you not.
AND its like that now all the time.

Wow, that's something I've never heard before. How is the overall economy there?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69

It really is not a bad job. I get paid enough to support myself until I can move on.

If your there for ten years, the amount of money you would be making is very good. Their benefits have improved ALOT over the last couple years. The work there is nothing. The amount of "hard" work I do in an 8 hour shift probably lasts half an hour. The same goes for pretty much the whole store.

I have never been treated badly by management, but there are always the ones who are douche bags just like in any company.

Seriously walmart has improved in almost every area of the company just since i've been there. And why do you people think not shopping at walmart is gonna change anything??? Wally world is no different then any other large retail/grocery chain out there. where do you Target gets their stuff?

Instead of complaining about a STORE why don't you actually complain about something that's hurting us, like 2 wars, or the NWO, and the list goes on.

That's VERY good good to hear that Walmart has raised some standards. But to say that Walmart isn't hurting us isn't such a 'just' statement to make. Some people say it is, some people say it isn't, so it apparently is hurting some of us.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I do not shop at Walmart because they are destroying the economy. In fact, they help many low income families.

I do not shop at Walmart because their products suck, their workers do nothing to make the place better, and if I wanted to go to a grade A zoo, I would go to the city one.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
And a Clinton was very recently on the board of directors, and probably still is. So, that probably washes the going out of business angle.

Yes, the business model is quite ruthless. Not much you can do other than not spend your money there.

They also get many politically motivated tax breaks. That in itself is probably a major indictment. They get breaks, which they don't need, as opposed to the small-timers who don't get access to the same kind of programs. It is taxpayer funded even. It should be illegal, but its not.

I've worked on a couple of them and its a weird atmosphere. They are built like a tornado shelter for one. I've heard talk that they want one within at least a 15 mile radius.

For all I know, these are the real fema camps, lol!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

I tell people the same things and they just shrug it off or laugh at me. I've even had people DEFEND Wal-Mart when I brought up how much damage they do. Every time I set foot in a Wal-mart I feel like a little bit of my soul has been drained away.

The Wal-Mart nearest me is in a town called Temple and on the doorway on the inside (as you're going out) it says "Thank You for Shopping at your Temple Wal-Mart." I just sat there and laughed... Your TEMPLE Wal-Mart.

Stop feeding the monster of rampant consumerism, we have to take responsibility for our impact on this planet and on each other.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Right.. right.. so Walmart is just business, so it makes everything they are doing ok.

The Federal Reserve is also a business. So they are welcome.

The United State's Government is also a business, so the fed is completely in the right to do what ever they want if they can get away with it. THEY EARNED it!

See, you start giving people a little leeway and and it opens a whole new can of worms ._.

I find your comment sad.. not because your downright wrong.. but because I agree with you. I always feel a lil wee bit empty when ever I enter a Walmart.

The last thing I bought in there was a dollar pack of ear plugs, a drink and chips.. but because I was running late to meet some buds and they are the only store open before 9am... You won that time Wally world...

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

im sorry i thought this was from the consumers point of view.

not everybody works in a store. believe it or not some of us work in labs, fight fires, deliver mail etc.

retail jobs are but a fraction of "the economy" which is what the topic was.

SOME poeple might lose there job and end up a slave, but EVERYBODY saves money on their products. and the EVERYBODY group outweighs the SOME POEPLE group.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I wouldnt worry too much. Walmart is very low in stock, have taken out the self checks, and i do believe they are going downhill FAST! I wouldnt be surprised if they all go under real soon.

I think to say that they're going to go completely under is a bit extreme but something strange Iv noticed regarding them is that the two Wal Mart's in my area have both almost completely stopped restocking their shelves.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69

Let me know when they stop shipping my money to China for crap made by slaves. You know, when they can no longer afford to run local business out of business. Then you might have a case.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
reply to post by Scarcer

im sorry i thought this was from the consumers point of view.

not everybody works in a store. believe it or not some of us work in labs, fight fires, deliver mail etc.

retail jobs are but a fraction of "the economy" which is what the topic was.

SOME poeple might lose there job and end up a slave, but EVERYBODY saves money on their products. and the EVERYBODY group outweighs the SOME POEPLE group.

Well we are all here to discuss our point of views. I'm speaking about the big picture, your welcome to disagree, but if your saying you can speak for "EVERYBODY" then that's far fetched, for not 'EVERYBODY' agrees.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

This is not a matter of opinion, your seeing this "big picture" from a very narrow perspective.

the retail sector represents but a fraction of the overall economy, and all the variables you have pointed out only effect that sector. And to a lesser extent manufacturing and wholesale.

here is a quick google of a random US city's economic pie chart:

as you can see private/public services make up the vast majority with Government coming in 2nd. these 2 sectors have nothing to do with walmart, and the Walmarts effects on these sectors and the other smaller ones are minuscule, if existent at all. the only sectors i can see a walmart effecting negatively outside of retail are manufacturing and wholesale.

now given this chart could vary depending on the location, but the overall point is that walmart affects a minority percentage of an overall economy, so to say "Walmart destroys economys" i think is over exaggerated and over sensationalized.

plus you leave out the fact that to build all these walmarts inevitably sparks job growth in other sectors, like construction and insurance/real estate/financing.

the reason i speak for EVERYBODY is because ANYBODY can be a consumer.

however not EVERYBODY works at a damn store.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by LurkerMan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join