It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's airlines and airports question flight bans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Europe's airlines and airports question flight bans

news.bbc.co.uk

Europe's air industry has called for an urgent review of flight bans imposed because of volcanic ash from Iceland.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The bodies representing most European airlines and airports have questioned the need for the unprecedented curbs, which affect millions of travellers.

Airlines that have carried out test flights say planes showed no obvious damage after flying through the ash.
Pretty interesting given rhat so many have also been questioning it here on ATS

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

COUNTRIES AFFECTED
Airspace closed:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
Partial closures:
Italy (northern airspace closed until Monday)
Norway (limited flights in north)
Flights operating:
Greece, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Spain

[edit on 18-4-2010 by jazz10]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

UK Transport Secretary Lord Adonis, said "urgent discussions" were taking place between European and international agencies to ease the chaos.

Curious that the European agencies are named but the international ones aren't.

Brian Flynn, head of operations at Eurocontrol - which co-ordinates air traffic control in 38 nations - said aviation authorities were dealing with an "unknown phenomenon", but dismissed suggestions they were being over-cautious.

Volcanic eruptions are an "unknown phenomena"? Or is there something else he forgot to mention?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I can understand the justification for a flight ban. But is it really necessary? That's a good question.

I don't see how just one single volcano could cause the disruption of airplane flights for an entire continent. But I suppose they have access to facts and figures that I don't.

I'd need to know more about the situation before I can criticize it.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I was supposed to head over to Europe today for business, but luckily the flight was canceled.

I will not reschedule until all the ash is gone. I believe what we are seeing is good old fashioned greed. The airlines are losing 200 million a day and now they are lobbying to resume flight.
`
I sure hope nothing bad happens if they resume flights, but I am sure not going to take a chance!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Does anyone else think this is possibly the next H1N1 fear card? The next banking fraud? The next attempt to destroy the economy?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I feel it is strange how flights in an entire continent are grounded.. I live in gothenburg, Sweden.. The flights here are canceled until monday! But when i look at the sky, it is clear blue.. The sun is bright and I can easily see the moon at night.. Me and my friends keep wondering why the flights are canceled when there is no spot of ash in the sky!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Does anyone else think this is possibly the next H1N1 fear card? The next banking fraud? The next attempt to destroy the economy?

I don't know, but I can just picture Obama, Gordon Brown and loads of other world leaders breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't all have to gather for the Polish PM's funeral and all possibly get wiped out in one fowl swoop by someone or other.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Brian Flynn, head of operations at Eurocontrol - which co-ordinates air traffic control in 38 nations - said aviation authorities were dealing with an "unknown phenomenon", but dismissed suggestions they were being over-cautious.

Volcanic eruptions are an "unknown phenomena"? Or is there something else he forgot to mention?

Unknown phenomena because there has never been a cancellation of planes due to volcanoes this wide spread before.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yellow.sapphirine

Which continent are you referring to? It can't be Europe because, according to the second post in this thread, flights are still fully operating in Greece, Portugal, and Spain; and partially operating in Italy and Norway.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I don't know, but I can just picture Obama, Gordon Brown and loads of other world leaders breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't all have to gather for the Polish PM's funeral and all possibly get wiped out in one fowl swoop by someone or other.

Yes and imagine the impact felt globally of that extent.

Headline..... World leaders killed in a rare phenomenon or solar flare, or terrorist attack. We as a human race wouldnt survive, there would be chaos, i know it and im sure you know it. We are programmed to follow. We cant think on our own.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

The next "bail-out" using public funds.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
For one I can understand the hesitancy to resume flights - the engines on these planes are designed to take in an oxygen/nitrogen rich air flow - not an aerosolized pyroclastic cloud filled with ash and carbon dioxide. All it would take is one jetliner going down from 20,000 feet and whoever said it was alright to fly again would be drawn and quartered (metaphorically speaking). If aviation officials say mainland Europe should wait until Monday, I say let 'em wait until Monday. If the major carriers don't like it, tough cheese - I'm sure when flights resume they can institute a $50 surcharge for screaming infants to make up for the shortfall.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I am in southern Sweden in Europe.. flights have been grounded here for the entire week !!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
For one I can understand the hesitancy to resume flights - th engines on these planes are designed to take in an oxygen/nitrogen rich air flow - not an aerosolized pyroclastic cloud filled with ash and carbon dioxide

Note how many people have said there are clear blue skies above them. And the article referred to by the OP states that the airlines themselves are asking why the flight ban is lasting so long.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i think there is something up there and somebody don't want people to see it. what a convenient excuse, volcanic ashes. can somebody tell which volcano erupted again?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I talked to a few people.. It seems that the ash is really fine, just like dust particles and cant be seen by naked eye.. but it creates a problem when it accumulates in the engines..

I guess the the government is just being extra careful with civilian air travel..

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Something smells mega fishy here. I just cant figure out what. I dont know what else to say. We will see..... Feels a little like the calm before the storm.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellow.sapphirine
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I am in southern Sweden in Europe.. flights have been grounded here for the entire week !!

Originally posted by yellow.sapphirine
I feel it is strange how flights in an entire continent are grounded..

So Sweden is considered it's own continent?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well Germany has most of the flights grounded. Even the pretty big Frankfurt Airport is standing still. Germany is pretty much in the center of Europe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join