It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparent increase in earthquake activity? One Prof. seems to think so!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I know there is quite a bit of debate here about whether or not there is an increase in earthquake activity .

I, myself, believe that there is..Im no expert, mind you. Some people here on ATS say that there is not an increase, but just an increase in reporting, or an increase in populated areas.

There is a professor here in my home town, Rolla Missouri, who seems to believe differently also. His name is Dr. Stephen Gao, professor of geological sciences and engineering at Missouri University of Science and Technology. He will be giving a seminar tomorrow about his findings..but Id like to share a bit of it with you.

A series of devastating earthquakes in the past several years has triggered widespread debates over whether the Earth has entered an unprecedented period of earthquake activity.
Is Mother Nature out of control? What is the current status of earthquake prediction? Statistically, how significant is the recent increase in activity? Stephen S. Gao, a geophysics professor at Missouri University of Science and Technology in the United States, is one of the scientists who argued that the Earth has been witnessing increased activity.

"It is clear that the Earth is significantly more active over the past 15 years than the 20 years before," he told Xinhua in a recent interview.

His calculation shows that the moment release per year between 1995 and 2010 is about four times as large as that between 1975 and 1994. Even when the 2004 Sumatra earthquake in Indonesia and its large aftershocks and this year's 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile are not counted, the moment release over the past 15 years is still twice as large as that of the previous two decades.

Gao believed that the increased activity could simply be natural fluctuations of the stress field in the Earth's lithosphere, or the outer solid part.

He doesnt believe that human activities NOR global warming are contributers.

He has quite a list of credentials, so he seems to be an expert in the field..DR STEPHEN GAO LINK CREDINTIALS

CLUSTERING OF EARTHQUAKES ISSUE OF DEBATE

Stephen Gao's homepage

Maybe its just me, but I really like to know the reasons things are happening on our little blue planet..just a curiosity maybe, but its good to know other people feel the same and are investigating

join