It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Voter Power Index

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Apologies if this has been posted before.

It might be of interest to some UK members.

www.voterpower.org.uk...

By entering your post code, it gives you the 'power' of your vote in it's ability to create change within your constituency and compares it to the national average.

My vote power is a meagre 0.016 in my "ultra safe" constituency, much less than the idea of having 'one vote'. The 'average' UK voter has 16.67x more voter power, the ability to influence or change the party holding the local seat, than I do.

Whilst all this sounds pretty bad, I still think it's important to vote and have voted at every opportunity since 1986.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
0.18 in my area, a Conservative safe seat. Nice website, good to see that my vote doesn't really count.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
0.18 in my area, a Conservative safe seat. Nice website, good to see that my vote doesn't really count.

Yeah, it's a good website. My constituency has the longest running council boss in modern history and there's as much change of a Dalek being voted into power as anything other than (New) Labour. Other than the 'punk years', from 76-79, it's been a Labour seat since the borough was created in 1974.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Thanks for that link. My voter power is 0.127 - Ha! In your face, disenfranchised boy! Er... no, actually I'm supposed to have half the average power of a UK voter.
I'm not convinced this is entirely accurate tho because our MP, Alan Simpson (Labour) who has held the seat since 92, had big personal support but is not standing this time. I dont see how a statistical analysis can take this kind of thing into account.
Anyway, I've wanted PR for years. Its the only way we can get any power for the smaller parties & only they aren't in the corporate pocket. I'm voting LibDem for that reason.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

It might be of interest to some UK members.

Thank you star'd and flagged...

Nice find!

according to this I have a voting power of 0.071

Though I have to say that through all the polls and statistics there is the election day itself.

No one knows how the wind truly blows.

All the polls are take from roughly 1000 people that's 1/60000ths of the population. So opinion polls are useless...

Similarly the website you pointed to, does not take into account other factors... My constituency for example is historically a labour safe seat but..... We have our MP currently in court facing jail because he was caught with his fingers in the till....

So large swings do happen, and even though an individual voter has less power... this power is amplified as a large percentile of voters change their preferences..

All the best,

Korg.

new topics

top topics

join