It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA and GM partner in Robonaut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
NASA and GM have partnered in the creation of what could be called the next generation of astronauts. Meet Robonaut 2.

The 300-pound, human-like machine, R2 for short, is to be a permanent resident on the orbiting outpost 180 miles above Earth.

Robonaut 2: Nasa develops robot 'that looks like Top Gear's The Stig'

Could these robots be in line for the mission to Mars?
www.nasa.gov

More vids.

I found this all very interesting, hope you do as well.

Rhain

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Interesting indeed, because this is white budget stuffs that looks neat.

Imagine the progress in the black budget world...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
... and it only took NASA 45 years to realise the need for humanoid robot amung a space crew.

1956 "Forbidden Planet" movie - Robbie robot.

1965 "Voyage To A Prehistoric Planet" movie - John robot.

1965 "Lost In Space" tv series - B9 robot.

Next step... a pair of humanoid legs for R2.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The Cylon cometh...

That robonaut could do some of the menial office jobs I have had to endure with ease I bet.although they should give it a better face like this one:

www.xyberlog.com...

Watch out if they send those toasters to Mars-they may actually start to enjoy themselves,and set up a society.

Then when we arrive,they may decide we do not fit into their robot society,thus initiating the latest human/cylon war.

So it is written.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I have to disagree about the face. I like that R2 has no face - it can then easily be accepted as being only a 'machine' in human form. When a face is applied to a robot... human emotions are expected from it. Save the faces for 'androids' (with emotions) - not robots.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

"Could these robots be in line for the mission to Mars?"

When the R2's have humanoid legs (?- R3's)... mass produce them, and send them to Mars, the Moon, and everywhere else - to take the high risks, do the hard labor, and to 'pave the way' for humans.

[edit on 4/18/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I can picture the GM execs pushing NASA to get the extended coverage warrenty and also the anti-rust undercarriage spray.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I have to disagree about the face. I like that R2 has no face - it can then easily be accepted as being only a 'machine' in human form. When a face is applied to a robot... human emotions are expected from it. Save the faces for 'androids' (with emotions) - not robots.

Good points,although I feel that there is still room for at least 1 division who look like Japanese girls.
If only for the photo opportunity of them mining deep in the crust of Mars

Also just to see the look on the faces of any aliens who happen to meet them.
That would be priceless.

The faceless ones would be perfect for defensive purposes though.
It would intimidate an alien race to see themselves reflected in their enemies faces hopefully.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I wonder if GM is thinking... that after achieving fame in space applications, Detroit could mass-produce civilian versions of these robots for commercial market sales?

[edit on 4/18/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It will be an interesting change, to finally have something intelligent on the space station - that does not require that stupid 'wake-up music' each day.
Too bad we had to wait this long for it's arrival. The Robonaut should have been put to use from the beginning, in assembling the space station from the start.

Well maybe by the time the next space craft/station is assembled in orbit, there will be many Robonauts there to do the rough work involved.

[edit on 4/21/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
An update on the space adventures of Robonaut R2...

"Robonaut Packed for Space"
www.spaceref.com...

Good luck, Robo.

top topics

join