It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatal flaws in our modern society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
With our modern society, two major issues are the prejudices and the taboo of questioning religion. These two are largely a part of tearing us all apart. Well see the hard part with religion is that religion has become such a taboo in our modern world. Questioning the beliefs is a big no-no in most religions.

Here's a good example. I am technically Jewish, though i don't follow the beliefs (my parents make me follow the practices though). I have family that is very orthodox. I find i observe their behaviors to figure out why they go to obsessive lengths to preserve their 'integrity'. One day i asked one of them why we can't eat bread and other grains on passover. They said it's to remember the Exodus from Egypt. I did some research on this, and found it said to honor the Exodus every year. It doesn't specifically say to not eat bread (unless it's one of the biased torah translations). For me, honoring the Exodus could be just keeping it in my head and/or doing a few meditations on it. And besides, in the higher world, you are not forced to do anything. You can take suggestions from the higher beings, but they won't force you to do anything. So it's not like you're damned if you don't honor passover. It's simply their advice. When i brought my findings that you should just 'honor' the Exodus (not the others), and don't have to not eat grains, they looked at me like i was nuts and dismissed me. They did not think this was possible because all their ancestors did not eat grain. The taboo of religion is that you are encouraged to follow the beliefs, but not question them. But what people don't understand is that the beliefs and practices are subjective and not set in stone.

The other big issue is prejudice (obviously). Unfortunately, people judge by appearance. It is actually proven that if an african american guy, a white guy, and a teen walk into a store, the white guy is catered to, why the african american guy and the teen are often followed by security to 'keep them from stealing'. It's sad but true. I'm a teen so i see this and experience this first hand. People also judge by how you dress. Last night, my family forced me to go this expensive party at this fancy hotel. When i went downstairs in a nice pair of levi jeans and a polo, they just about flipped out. They said that it's a formal event and i need to dress up to show respect. My stance is that it should not be about the appearance as much as your attitude and how you act. So to prove my point, when they forced me into a suit, i acted like an a**hole the entire time i was there to prove that it's not the appearance as much as the attitude. By the end, people were giving me dirty looks, proving my point. I bet if i went in jeans and a polo people would have looked down at me at first, but then by the end have accepted me for my positive attitude. I don't really care what people think of me, which is why i did this.

But the bottom line is that these two things, religion and prejudice, are tearing us apart. People have become locked into their beliefs as they believe they are right and others are wrong and fail to realize there can be multiple correct answers. And whatever happened to 'thou shalt not judge your neighbor'? Thats pretty much out the window. Racism (from both sides) will continue until people learn to just accept people. And it will continue until the african american guy stops pointing the finger at the white guy and the white guy stops pointing the blame at the african american. ITS BOTH SIDES PEOPLE!!! 'Live and let live' is a good motto for this.

Here's to a better future society!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Well yes, but on a more basic level the problem really is the major flaws in us as individuals. I understand Mob Theory, and that there are social factors involved, but our characters are often weak, worked upon by greed, lust, greed for power, inflated Egos, jealousy, greed for money, etc. ad infinitum.

join