It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor showers across the midwest US......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

with icelands volcanic eruption distracting us for good reason ,

we all just about missed this one .

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Here in the US it got a bit of attention. We have so much air traffic in our country that a large UFO might not get reported. It was reported as part of a shower but that was incorrect (it came from the wrong direction)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
the yahoo link & short report tells us that a cop car dashboard camera in
Iowa? caught the streaks of light in the night sky.

dont try to link the 'meteor video', it just takes you to the TV stations web page with a bunch of their promos & videos hawking their coverage

meteors in the upper atmosphere were not in the midwest as implied
the stuff might have been space junk, and actually over Pennsylvania not where the sighting occured in Iowa...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
interesting stuff tho i think

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This meteor was on the national news on tv here. Apparently something the size of a small car entered the atmosphere burning up. Then they said something the size roughly of a football landed somewhere. I forgot where or what state they mentioned. They did not say it was a meteor shower. They said it was a bright light and showed it on video and it crashed into the Earth. There is stuff colliding with the Earth all the time. Most people usually aren't looking up and miss it.

I once saw something that exploded in the night sky and was the biggest highest fireball I've ever seen. It looked like something turned into glitter and faded away as it crossed the sky. It exploded and expanded to about 3 times the size of the full moon which it went past. This was years ago. I got lucky enough to see it. It only lasted seconds.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
They did not say it was a meteor shower. They said it was a bright light and showed it on video and it crashed into the Earth. There is stuff colliding with the Earth all the time. Most people usually aren't looking up and miss it.

Quite right - this had nothing to do with meteor showers. News sources generally get their facts wrong when it comes to events like this.

Apples and oranges...

Anyone who does not understand what a meteor shower is, please read this.

To put it simply, our annual meteor showers are caused when Earth passes through the dust and relitively small bits of comet that are left behind a comet when it passes through space close to our Sun.

Big fireballs like the one being talked about here, are due to asteroids, which are genrally much bigger, and harder than cometary meteoroids. Because of this, asteroidal material has a chance of making it deep into our armosphere (and even surviving to the ground as it did in this case), and so the fireball caused by the object can be much bigger than most cometary fireballs, which tend to not be as spectacualr for the reasons given above.

There is a thread on this event already here.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

We are starting to pass through one of the comet trails. The Lyrids is not the best shower but it still nice.
www.amsmeteors.org...
www.space.com...

It may be associated with the Lyrid's but I doubt it with every thing flying around up there.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

It's not related to the Lyrids. Did you not read what I said above? If you did, you need to read it again!

1. It's a bit early for the Lyrids.

2. It travelled from west to south east:

Tara in Oregon told us she saw a bright green light come from the west before disappearing in the southeast.

Source: www.wkowtv.com...

That means it could not have been a Lyrid since the Lyrid radiant was around 15-20 degrees above the horizon in the east at the time and Lyrids always travel AWAY from the Lyrid radiant.

This was not a metoroid from an annual cometary meteor shower, it was a small random asteroid hitting our atmosphere, as they do all the time, 24/7 and 365... this is just past the peak time of the year for asteroids which produce bright fireballs in the afternoon/evening.

Edit to add:
I highly recomend that you read this page about annual and diurnal variations in fireball rates.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

"It may be associated with the Lyrid's but I doubt it with every thing flying around up there."
As short of a post that mine was and you failed to read all of it?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

"It may be associated with the Lyrid's but I doubt it with every thing flying around up there."
As short of a post that mine was and you failed to read all of it?

I did read all of it. The part that I take issue about is that you are saying there is a chance it was a member of the Lyrids, when there is no way in hell that this was a Lyrid meteor.

Just pointing that out...

new topics

top topics

join