It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel threatens to send Syria back to Stone Age

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Israel threatens to send Syria back to Stone Age

www.ynetnews.com

According to report in Sunday Times, Israeli minister said if Hezbollah dares to attack with ballistic missiles, responsibility will fall on Syria's shoulders, Israel will mercilessly attack strategic targets. 'Assad playing with fire,' says minister, according to British paper
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The rhetoric is getting stronger by the day. Israel must be desperate about the apparent reluctance of the US to engage Iran on the battlefield.

With Iran pursuing nuclear weapons and arming its proxies on Israel's northern frontier, the bully of the Middle East is being cornered.

Jordan smells an opportunity after the US has openly shown its frustration with Israel's insincerity on a two-state solution, hence making Israel appear weak while Syria awaits its opportunity to retake the Golan Heights.

From a purely strategic point of view, it was a very wise move of Iran to arm Hezbollah with advanced weapons of which the ballistic missile is the most important. It must have been decades ago that an Arab nation could hold a knife to the throat of Israel, which has enjoyed military superiority that effectively dealt with any threat. Now Hezbollah has ballistic missiles, they could for the first time since inflict serious damage on Israel, which directly threatens their ability to keep its neighbors under control. Not to speak of Hezbollah's increase anti-air capability.

Syria, Iran and Hezbollah understand that they make a better chance to fight Israel jointly. I recently read a report, which claimed that Israel wants to deal with Hezbollah and Syria for once and for all and will not spare any means to achieve this.

The reason why the current situation is not sustainable for much longer is that the threat is only growing. Every day that Israel waits, these factions will grow stronger with very little chance of a reversal effect. For this very reason, it is not a question if, but when the bully will strike out against its enemies.

I strongly belief that the West is going to be dragged into this conflict. Our vital oil supplies are at stake. My friend was recently shown pictures of sea-based Patriot platforms that have been constructed in large numbers of the Souther Persian Gulf shores to protect these states against Iranian missile strikes.

This is gonna be ugly and unlike previously, I have little belief that this will fizzle out without many casualties on all sides.

More recent reports:

source

16/04/2010

War seems to be looming on the eve of next week’s 62nd Independence Day celebrations.

This is not a war that will erupt immediately – Military Intelligence officers’ assessment, presented to the cabinet, is that there is a slim chance of war this year. But based on regional trends, particularly along the northern border, war could be closer than some would like to think.

source

Moderate Muslim and Arab countries face great challenges as major players in the Middle East peace process who work to prevent the next war in the region – which could break out as soon as this summer, King Abdullah of Jordan told the Chicago Tribune editorial board in an interview conducted Thursday.

www.ynetnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The next week will tell whether or not anything will happen. Any more time and the readiness of the forces involved with start to diminish, then things will settle down into a middle east cold war.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
The next week will tell whether or not anything will happen. Any more time and the readiness of the forces involved with start to diminish, then things will settle down into a middle east cold war.

For the reasons mentioned above, I personally believe this cannot be(come) a Cold War. During the Cold War, both nations knew how great the consequences would be of a war. The tiny piece of land called Israel is cornered and feels more threatened by the day. We are waiting for the point at which Israel decides that a war is the only option left open to deal with this threat.

+28 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
With Iran pursuing nuclear weapons

Could you please show me a credible source that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons and not just nuclear power, because I still see nothing but propoganda about Iran pursuing nukes even after they allow IAEA in and are all for nuclear disarmament.
Sorry I couldn't read further than this point in your post.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Could you please show me a credible source that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons and not just nuclear power, because I still see nothing but propoganda about Iran pursuing nukes even after they allow IAEA in and are all for nuclear disarmament.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

This rhetoric has exactly the same tone and feel of what the United States once said to Pakistan. I distinctly remember the United States saying to Pakistan in the early portion of the Iraq invasion that if they (Pakistan) did not go along with what was going on, they would quote unquote be blown back into the stone age.

Deja Vu?

That being said, one would have to ask themselves this question. Are these the words of Israel, or moreso the the wording of the United States of America?

Kind of makes one think, huh?

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Karma_Chameleon]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karma_Chameleon
reply to post by Mdv2

This rhetoric has exactly the same tone and feel of what the United States once said to Pakistan. I distinctly remember the United States saying to Pakistan in the early portion of the Iraq invasion that if they (Pakistan) did not go along with what was going on, they would quote unquote be blown back into the stone age.

Deja Vu?

I get déjà vu, all right. But mainly because I've heard similar comments so many times from American citizens - not the government - on this board and elsewhere. If it's not turning such and such country into glass, then it's bombing it back to the stone age.

The worse thing about all this, is that this same country, America, the country that appears to more against other countries arming themselves with nuclear weapons is the only country that's actually used them or similar on another country.

Farcical.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
So why are we not hearing any statements from Syria? (or have I missed them?),

Are they simply not the sort to scream and shout in the media? Or is Israel throwing the war teddy's out of the pram just to set in the peoples minds that this is inevitable?

Cos I gotta be honest there can't be a lot of Scuds handed over here can there? And Israel is likely to be able to knock maybe half of them out of the sky before they reach target.

I can see the Scuds being launched, Israel lashing out and then getting attacked from all sides. That's not gonna be something they will survive TBH.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

My mom once said something very intelligent which applies in this case.

"The more they say, the more ignorant they look, the less you say, the smarter you look."

I'm thinking Syria is a just a bit worried about Israel moving accross the border and don't have time to play catch up in the media.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I kinda think the US should stay out of this one. If Israel wanted to avoid trouble it had the chance, big time! Everyone wanted peace but that comes with a state of Palestine and its rightful capital (half of at absolute least).

Israel insulted the world helping negotiate peace.

Make your bed, lye in it

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It sounds to me like Israed qualified this with IF HEZBO LAUNCHES A MISSILE AT ISRAEL. I dont see "pre-emptive" anywhere here. All is peaceful unless the stupid as Hezbos do something.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

It surprises me that your post has been flagged so many times. With all due respect, all of you who agree with this post are clueless. Iran has more reasons to pursue nuclear weapons that it has not to do so. Think yourself. Do you really think they would bring it this far if they would only enrich uranium for peaceful purposes. Do you really think they enjoy all of these sanctions? Do you really think they would not accept the generous package that the West has offered? Do you really think that Israel would care about it if they would only enrich uranium for peaceful purposes?

With nuclear weapons, Iran would have the best defense against Israel it could ever wish for. Countries would think twice before messing with Iran.

Besides, if you have any knowledge about this, you would know that Iran does not cooperate with the IAEA nor does it abide the rules of NPT. What reason does Iran have to build secret nuclear plants if they only need enriched uranium for nuclear purposes? Why would they need so many?

A more interesting question is why Israel does not want Iran to have nuclear weapons. I don't think they are afraid that Iran would use them. As I've explained many times before, that would be a suicidal act. More likely, they want nuclear weapons:

-to protect themselves
-to gain political influence on a global level
-to become a regional superpower

The last motive is the most important one. If they would counter Israel like the Soviet Union countered the US during the Cold War, Israel would be greatly limited in behaving lawlessly.

Are you simply naive or do you really think that the West is all bad and Iran is all good? Perhaps it surprises you, but this situation is not as black and white as you seem to think.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Well, for starters, the nuclear power plant that Iran built to provide said power, is too small to actually produce power, but large enough to build weapons.

VIENNA (Associated Press) -- Iran's recently revealed uranium enrichment hall is a highly fortified underground space that appears too small to house a civilian nuclear program, but large enough to serve for military activities, diplomats told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

This was a widely circulated article, so if don't like the source, you can find it on many others.

So....either they have no intention of building a nuclear power plant, or they don't know enough about producing nuclear energy to know what size power plant they would even need....

Either scenario is dangerous.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
It sounds to me like Israed qualified this with IF HEZBO LAUNCHES A MISSILE AT ISRAEL. I dont see "pre-emptive" anywhere here. All is peaceful unless the stupid as Hezbos do something.

I agree with this. I really thought Israel might take preemptive action against the Scuds (and they still might) but it looks to me like they're going to play "dare" instead. Sounds like a solid tactic to me.

Oh, and of course Iran is trying to build nukes. Who can blame them? Who wouldn't do the same in their position?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I can see the Scuds being launched, Israel lashing out and then getting attacked from all sides. That's not gonna be something they will survive TBH.

They survived that twice already.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
First off, the Huffington Post can hardly be considered a "reliable source" for much of anything beyond their own agenda,

Secondly, Iran is a signatory to the NPT and allows full inspections by the IAEA. (Source for their "secret facilities" please?). Israel, on the other hand, is generally known to have a nuclear stockpile, has repeatedly refused to sign the NPT and has steadfastly refused to even discuss IAEA inspections of its facilities.

Thirdly, Syria (and NOT Iran) has admitted arming Hizbollah with scud missiles. There is no Iranian connection there as far as I can see.

In my personal opinion, the best outcome for the entire middle east, would be to sanction Israel until it comes into alignment with the rest of the world and agrees to inspections and non-proliferation. Absent that, it is time for the Zionist regime in Tel Aviv to be "swept from the pages of history". If any aggressor nation deserves to be reduced to the "stone age" that nation is Isreal.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Deny Ignorance

Well,I don't see anything stating that Syria would be attacked.

Most likely they would respond back in force on the Hezbollah areas in southern Lebanon.

They are telling Syria that they will be responsible for the deaths of innocent civilians.

That is all.

Deny Ignorance

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tholidor
First off, the Huffington Post can hardly be considered a "reliable source" for much of anything beyond their own agenda,

Secondly, Iran is a signatory to the NPT and allows full inspections by the IAEA. (Source for their "secret facilities" please?). Israel, on the other hand, is generally known to have a nuclear stockpile, has repeatedly refused to sign the NPT and has steadfastly refused to even discuss IAEA inspections of its facilities.

Thirdly, Syria (and NOT Iran) has admitted arming Hizbollah with scud missiles. There is no Iranian connection there as far as I can see.

In my personal opinion, the best outcome for the entire middle east, would be to sanction Israel until it comes into alignment with the rest of the world and agrees to inspections and non-proliferation. Absent that, it is time for the Zionist regime in Tel Aviv to be "swept from the pages of history". If any aggressor nation deserves to be reduced to the "stone age" that nation is Isreal.

Same tired old excuses. Iran was caught covering up its nuclear work a few years ago by the IAEA (which triggered the calls to halt their enrichment program) but people seem happy to forget that and be happy for Iran to just pick and choose which parts of the NPT is wants to comply with.

"it is clear that Iran has failed in a number of instances over an extended period of time to meet its obligations under its Safeguards Agreement with respect to the reporting of nuclear material and its processing and use, as well as the declaration of facilities where such material has been processed and stored." - IAEA

Either fully comply with the NPT or withdraw - don't use it as a smokescreen to hide things.

As for Israel and the NPT; yeah it sucks. But we can't just let everybody else take the IAEA for a ride just because Israel didn't sign up.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

With Iran pursuing nuclear weapons and arming its proxies on Israel's northern frontier, the bully of the Middle East is being cornered.

What a strange statement.

Iran pursuing nukes and arming proxies but who is THE bully?

I am not defending Israel here as they have been a parasite for too long. There are bad guys on all sides of this situation and although war has been a part of this region for thousands of years and will continue to be doing so, at least be honest about it.

Sooner or later there is going to be a large steaming radioactive crater that was once a middle eastern city. Whether that be Tel Aviv or Tehran, or both, who knows? You know who is going to be at fault? It will be people who can't be honest with themselves and like throwing blame around to cover that up, just like in most every other war.

As far as strategy is concerned, does it sound "wise" for the Iranians to corner a nuclear armed nation and threaten it with annihilation? If Israel goes down, the middle east will have more in common with Hell then with the Holy Land thanks to the Samson Option. Sounds like wise strategy.

And what is Israel going to do, annihilate Syria and Iran resulting in Russian (and therefore world) interference in the middle east and probably sparking World War 3? Yea great strategy.

Whoever wins this will be breathing in radioactive dust clouds, great strategy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join