It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KLM test flight passes off without problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

KLM test flight passes off without problem

corporate.klm.com

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines carried out a test flight this evening between about 19.45 and 21:00 hours CEST in Netherlands airspace using a Boeing 737-800. The flight was carried out to establish whether air quality in the atmosphere meets the requirements for safe flight. No problems were encountered during the flight.

The aircraft was transferred to a hangar on landing where it underwent a thorough inspection. The results have been reported to the Transport and Water Management Inspectorate. The Inspectorate will take the decision on whether flight operations are possible.

KLM President
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I don't believe such a test flight is really conclusive. This ash cloud has many variables and parameters. One day it could be more dense than others or covering different areas than the previous day. The only reason why KLM is taking this risk is obviously money and not for science.

There's a huge difference between one flight making a national trip and many 1000's covering several countries.

I predict two things. Airliners will start to follow suit and allow planes fly one by one and nothing will happen or out of the thousands plane one plane will be unlucky and suffer ash clogging and that would be the end of story of flights as long as the volcano is active.

corporate.klm.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

That is EXACTLY what I believe. I really hope they are smarter that that.. So maybe the air currents were blowing it in a different direction that hour too.

We shall see....

[edit on 4/18/2010 by Pharyax]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

I totally agree Broli - I bet airlines will be pushed by their financial distress to get into the air ASAP and this could bring about bad decisions. Fatal decisions. I personally wouldn't fly in the area until I was told it was clear - not "light" or "less" but CLEAR.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
KLM performed a 2nd test flight this morning from Amsterdam to Düsseldorf, the plane has now returned to Amsterdam. The flight had crews onboard to retrive 7 other KLM planes that are stranded at Düsseldorf. The 7 planes will be flown back to Amsterdam today.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by -Rugged Shark-]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I too would not be happy to fly in crowded airspace just from knowing that Holland air space was safe for one flight.
Oops that's what broli just said.
This is unique. Hasnt happened before. Better safe than sorry.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

Broli.....

I don't think the airlines will try to move passengers too soon.

One crash with passengers on board would destroy the airline in question.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I just saw that on Euronews. Lufthansa also made a test flight.

However, Dutch airline KLM and Germany’s Lufthansa yesterday carried out test flights. Both airlines said the planes appeared undamaged. It is a small glimmer of hope that maybe the worst disruption since the 2001 9/11 attacks could have an end in sight.

But, with scientists saying the eruption coming from Volcano Eyjafjallajokull could intensify and even last for months, there are fears that more unprecedented travel chaos is on the horizon.

Source

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
A phrase well-used in the aviation industry:

"If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident..."

new topics

top topics

join