It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Now Know: We're Not From Here!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Scientists Now Know: We're Not From Here!

mondovista.com

Imagine the shock of growing up in a loving family with people you call "Mum" and "Dad" and then, suddenly, learning that you are actually adopted!

This same sense of shock came as scientists announced that the Sun, the Moon, our planet and its siblings, were not born into the familiar band of stars known as the Milky Way galaxy, but we actually belong to a strange formation with the unfamiliar name of the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i have never believed man is responsible for global warming, or believed anything that comes from government backed sciences, and when i came across this i was like wtf, if these guys are right , then all the taxation in the world dont matter, and that possibly the 2012 end times takes on a different type of change for us, this is my first post and would like all here at ats to offer their veiws on this, i dont know if this has been discused before

mondovista.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
VERY COOL!!! WOW!!! S&F. Wonderful first thread.

My favorite bit:

If we originated from the Milky Way, we ought to be oriented to the galaxy's ecliptic, with the planets aligned around our Sun in much the same angle as our Sun aligns with the Milky Way. Instead, as first suggested by researcher Matthew Perkins Erwin, the odd angle suggests that our Sun is influenced by some other system. Together with data from the Two-Micron All Sky Survey we now know what it is. We actually belong to the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy.

So WE are the aliens. What a concept!

EXCEPT...

IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THIS WEBPAGE BECAUSE YOU HAVE HEARD FALLACIOUS NEWS REPORTS ABOUT THE SUN BEING FROM THE SAGITTARIUS DWARF GALAXY:

DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE WEB!
IF YOU ARE A JOURNALIST, PLEASE FOLLOW TRADITIONAL JOURNALISTIC STANDARDS AND DO PROPER SOURCE AND FACT CHECKING! (IF OTHER SUPPOSEDLY RELIABLE NEWS AGENCIES HAD SUBSCRIBED TO THESE BASIC PRINCIPLES, YOU PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE WASTING TIME RIGHT NOW CHASING DOWN THIS ILLEGITIMATE NEWS STORY!)
THE WEBSITE www.badastronomy.com... DOES A REASONABLE JOB OF ADDRESSING THE MISINFORMATION BEING CIRCULATED.

...more...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This should be in General Conspiracy, this isn't breaking news.

Anyways, until someone or something credible releases a story on this, I'll take everything they say with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Destiny Of Souls]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The offset of the ecliptic with the axis of the Milky Way is no reason to believe that the Solar System is not a child of the Galaxy. The plane of the Solar System was determined when it formed and it has nothing to do with the plane of the Galaxy. It has to do with what was going on in our locality at the time. We can see other planetary systems forming now which are not aligned with the Milky Way, they are at all kinds of crazy angles.

On the other hand, the Sun is orbiting the center of the Milky Way, not the center of Sagittarius Dwarf. The entire Solar System is orbiting in the plane of the Milky Way. We move "up and down" a bit but if you look at the image of our colliding galaxies you will notice that if we belonged to Sagittarius Dwarf, we should be zooming through the disc of the Milky Way as we orbit that other center. We aren't.

We are home.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The offset of the ecliptic with the axis of the Milky Way is no reason to believe that the Solar System is not a child of the Galaxy. The plane of the Solar System was determined when it formed and it has nothing to do with the plane of the Galaxy. It has to do with what was going on in our locality at the time. We can see other planetary systems forming now which are not aligned with the Milky Way, they are at all kinds of crazy angles.

On the other hand, the Sun is orbiting the center of the Milky Way, not the center of Sagittarius Dwarf. The entire Solar System is orbiting in the plane of the Milky Way. We move "up and down" a bit but if you look at the image of our colliding galaxies you will notice that if we belonged to Sagittarius Dwarf, we should be zooming through the disc of the Milky Way as we orbit that other center. We aren't.

We are home.

Exactly, how this thread already has 5 flags, I don't know. Either a lot of people aren't reading the pseudo-scientific article and laughing, or are just gullible.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by frank64

So the Milky Way starting "eating" Sagittarius 2 BILLION years ago -- and the gravity of the Milky Way took over. Ironically I was reading this same Dan Eden article today via Alexandra Bruce:

paranormalradionetwork.org...

"This first full-sky map of Sagittarius shows its extensive interaction with the Milky Way," Majewski said. "Both stars and star clusters now in the outer parts of the Milky Way have been 'stolen' from Sagittarius as the gravitational forces of the Milky Way nibbled away at its dwarf companion. This one vivid example shows that the Milky Way grows by eating its smaller neighbors." The study's map of M giants depicts 2 billion years of Sagittarius stripping by the Milky Way, and suggests that Sagittarius has reached a critical phase in what had been a slow dance of death. "After slow, continuous gnawing by the Milky Way, Sagittarius has been whittled down to the point that it cannot hold itself together much longer," said 2MASS Science Team member and study co-author Martin Weinberg of the University of Massachusetts. "We are seeing Sagittarius at the very end of its life as an intact system."

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This has been debunked.

Although dwarf galaxies are commonly eaten by bigger galaxies.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Studies of the Sun’s motion relative to the plane of the Milky Way (using the stars, globular clusters, other galaxies, and many other sources) make it a rock-solid certainty that the Sun’s orbit is in fact in the plane of the Milky Way. It’s not plunging through the disk at a high angle at all. So right away we see that the claim that the Sun is alien to the Milky Way is complete rubbish.

Seriously, we’re done here. You can stop.

Oh, you want more? OK. Let’s continue the smackdown.

If you read the Viewzone article (or the original claim from a site called, interestingly, CureZone) you can see they don’t understand this angle issue at all! They do seem to get that the stream is at an angle to the Milky Way, but they also claim that this is why the plane of our solar system is at an angle to the Milky Way’s plane, which is a bizarre (and totally incorrect) idea.

First, the plane of the solar system (defined, really, by the plane of the Earth’s orbit) is tilted with respect to the Milky Way’s plane by about 60 degrees or so. But this is not a big deal; the Sun formed from a gas cloud 4.6 billion years ago, and any number of forces would have caused that cloud to collapse such that the plane of our solar system could be pointed any which way. There’s no reason to assume the two planes would align.

Second, the articles never actually make the case that the solar system is aligned with the angle of the Sagittarius dwarf stream! If the Sun came from that galaxy, and they make these claims about angles and planes, don’t you think they’d actually see if our solar system aligns with the dwarf galaxy? That should set off alarm bells in your head.

Plenty more at the source that debunks the global warming claims as well.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by john124]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
thanks guys, i thought it was in the wrong place, and i know you shouldnt believe everything you read on the web, but look at it from this angle, if what is explained here is true then the massive tax rises and the unproven belief that man is causing global warming is nothing more than another way to scare people into parting with more cash for no other reason than governmental greed, also not everything that comes from legitimat sources is true and should be taken with more than just a pinch of salt, credible, who is credible, the govs, mainstream science, in days gone past people were burned at the steak because what they thought and said didnt fit with the mainstream, i will reveiw this and add more links, remember the government dont want people to rock their boat and will always put this type of info down as nothing more than fancyfull dreaming, again thanks

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Look I am sorry, but once I struck oil, I decided to move the whole solar system here!

You know a poor spaceneer has to keep his family fed.

Anyway, I made the mistake of putting all the money in a bank and trusting it to a banker, and well...let's just say we are stuck here and can't afford to go home!

I might be able to scrape up enough for a trip to Disney World though!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
thats strange..i already knew about this like 2 years ago.
when i was reading up on the 'galactic alignment' 2012.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

Ah yes, both are in the book of pseudoscience rubbish.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destiny Of Souls
Exactly, how this thread already has 5 flags, I don't know. Either a lot of people aren't reading the pseudo-scientific article and laughing, or are just gullible.

shh shhhhh, last time I pointed that out, I ended up on someone's ignore list.

Anyways, I think it's great, when I first heard that Andromeda was set to collide with us I got excited, then I heard it would take a few billion years. Least we can still say we lived through at least one collision.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

We are home.

Phage -- You may very well be right.

However, "so what" if our solar system has its roots in the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy? Does that change anything? Beyond being scientifically interesting, why would anyone really care where our solar system came from?

It's not like finding this out would somehow change who and what we are.

[edit on 4/17/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Wouldn't change a thing. I was actually going to preface my post with words to that effect.

I don't really think of myself as a native of the Milky Way.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

...and I should have qualified that the second paragraph of my post was not directed at you specifically, but to all the people on this thread in general.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Imagine the view from a point in the dwarf galaxy down upon the disc of our MW!
Spectacular. I hope someone/something is appreciating it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by amonza
Imagine the view from a point in the dwarf galaxy down upon the disc of our MW!
Spectacular. I hope someone/something is appreciating it.

I have long thought about something like that, and I've always wondered if we were close enough to a galaxy, would we be able to see its shape with our naked eye?

I mean, it's not like every time you look up to the sky with the naked eye you see this:

Given that we can't even see most of the galaxy we live in with our naked eye, could we see another galaxy that's colliding with us? (Hope the question makes sense)

I want to venture and say that at most we would be able to see a few of the other galaxy's stars though we would get incredble views using long exposure cameras.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by daniel_g]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel_g

I know what your saying. But given that the M31 galaxy and also the Magellanic clouds can be seen with the naked eye, these are extra-milky way objects. Using their apparent luminousity with the human eye I propose this hypothetical view from above the disc of the Milky Way.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Omg, this new information is amazing! I love it. Thanks for posting. I did the research once and came to the conclusion that every body in our solar system was heating up and wondered why.

Also....Mayan legend speaks of our sun being swallowed by a great dark beast in the sky. Maybe this was analogous to our parent galaxy being consumed by the Milky Way. And all of those spiral drawings could represent the Milky Way.

The danger could be in our sun heating up.
Really makes you think.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join