It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Heterosexual Questionnaire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Not exactly sure where I should put this...

Heterosexual Questionnnaire

In an effort to develop a basic awareness of heterosexism in society today, the following questionnaire is aimed at pointing out the many biases that gay, lesbian and bisexual people encounter in everyday living. It is a turn-around experience.

Anyway. This is just a questionnaire, as the title suggests. It is a list of questions that don't typically get asked to heterosexuals. I guess it's sort of a "take a walk in someone else's shoes" type of thing.

The bigger issue, to me, is that some of these questions talk about choosing to be a heterosexual. A lot of people think it is a choice to be homosexual, but did you or I choose to be heterosexual? If not, then how is it fair to ask a homosexual the same question?

Just wondering what the thoughts are on this.

Also, the link is to a PDF on a webpage. If for whatever reason you can't see it, just search "heterosexual questionnaire" on google. Some have more or less questions but the point is the same.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am heterosexual and it is not a "choice", it is what I AM. Fortunately, my preference is viewed as "normal", so I can live my life without any type of hate from others. I do not feel that someone whom is homosexual is that way by choice. What a person is attracted to is NOT their choice, but is something within them. Folks who hate need to stop reading certain divinely inspired books and stop listening to foolish church authorities and just let others live in peace if they are not harming others.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If you're talking about Christianity, which I assume you are, sins (all of them) are to be viewed as equal. Being a homosexual to the Christian God is no worse than any other particular sin. But for whatever reason, people pick and choose certain things to be worse than any thing else.

But, different topic, different time. I agree with you for the most part.

[edit on 17/4/10 by wisefoolishness]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is a PDF file, and unfortunately my computer is too slow to download pdf's right now. Is there any way you could post some of the more provocative questions, for those of us with dial up or slower computers?

I would love to see it.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I'll just post a few (non-PDF) links from a google search. Here goes:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Some of the questions are (from original link, in OP):

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality? 2. When and how did you decide that you were a heterosexual? 3. Is it possible your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex? 4. Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase that you may grow out of? 5. If you’ve never slept with a person of the same sex, is it possible that all you need is a good gay or lesbian lover?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Here you go, I cut & pasted it from the PDF doc for you.

HETEROSEXUAL QUESTIONNAIRE
In an effort to develop a basic awareness of heterosexism in society today, the following questionnaire is aimed at pointing out the many biases that gay, lesbian and bisexual people encounter in everyday living. It is a turn-around experience.

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

2. When and how did you decide that you were a heterosexual?

3. Is it possible your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?

4. Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase that you may grow out of?

5. If you’ve never slept with a person of the same sex, is it possible that all you need is a good gay or lesbian lover?

6. To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did they react?

7. Why do heterosexuals feel compelled to seduce others into their “lifestyle”?

8. Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality? Can’t you just be what you are and keep quiet about it?

9. Would you want your children to be heterosexual knowing the problems that they would face?

10. A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual teachers?

11. With all the societal support marriage receives, the divorce rate is still spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?

12. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

13. Considering the menace of overpopulation, how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual like you?

14. Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don’t you feel (s)he might be inclined to influence you in the direction of her/his own leanings?

15. How can you become a whole person if you limit yourself to compulsive, exclusive heterosexuality, and fail to develop your natural, healthy homosexual potential?

16. There seems to be very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to. Have you considered trying aversion therapy?

Source: ALLY – A faculty and staff network affirming lesbian, gay and bisexual people on campus.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Source

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I agree with your question OP "How is it fair to ask a homosexual the same question?" From my experience one cannot choose who they are attracted to on a sexual level. It just is. You don't think to yourself "well maybe I will be attracted to this or that person..." you just are. Sometimes the reason isn't even really clear, its a gut reaction.

I've been attracted to both women and men (I am a woman), I have no qualms about admitting that a woman or man is good looking (by my standards), but I have never sought out a sexual relationship with a woman. And some will say "but that is a choice!!" but it's almost like a non-choice to me, if that makes any sense. There is no choice to begin with. It is what it is , an attraction. Not a choice

[edit on 17-4-2010 by worlds_away] for clarification, I hope.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Yeah, as I said, I don't believe it's a choice. Biologically, being with a person of the opposite sex is done to reproduce, you don't really choose to do that.

The question that does need to be answered is why are certain people homosexuals if indeed they do not choose to be homosexuals? Is it biologically or genetic?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
IMO i don't know if the question needs to be answered. Mostly because I do not think there is a clear answer to the question. Is it biological or genetic? is kind of like Is it nature or nurture? And I don't think for this type of social behaviour you can separate the two enough to come to a "right" answer. And even if we could decide nature/nurture, one is not "right" and the other "wrong".

Humans are not the only species to have homosexual tendencies. And even though it seems counterintuitive, because one cannot reproduce with a same sex partner, it is not as if our species is in danger of extinction because of the homosexual tendencies of some, as some would like us to believe. Sex is not just about reproducing, it is also and I think more importantly about pleasure. Of course to reproduce you must have sex (well not always but for most of our history) but having sex does not always mean you will reproduce, even for a man and woman, but hopefully it brings pleasure.

I don't think homosexual tendencies harm anyone, especially our species as a whole. I don't think it is a question with clear answers.

"Sometimes the answers are complicated and the questions simple" - Dr. Seuss

My simple answer is pleasure. Not everyone experiences it the same way.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunIsSon
I am heterosexual and it is not a "choice", it is what I AM. Fortunately, my preference is viewed as "normal", so I can live my life without any type of hate from others. I do not feel that someone whom is homosexual is that way by choice. What a person is attracted to is NOT their choice, but is something within them. Folks who hate need to stop reading certain divinely inspired books and stop listening to foolish church authorities and just let others live in peace if they are not harming others.

I love your signature. As a gay man, just like you, I am what I am. Wish there were more people out there like you.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

He said heterosexual, that means straight, not homosexual.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
If you're talking about Christianity, which I assume you are, sins (all of them) are to be viewed as equal. Being a homosexual to the Christian God is no worse than any other particular sin. But for whatever reason, people pick and choose certain things to be worse than any thing else.

But, different topic, different time. I agree with you for the most part.

[edit on 17/4/10 by wisefoolishness]

While the consequences of sin are viewed as equal, there is no consensus amongst the many various Christian denominations as to the equality of all sins.
People often pick some sins as worse because the Bible does.
Some Christian denominations view homosexuality as a greater sin.
They don't view the gay community as potential converts, but as abominations.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

It doesn't really matter what the consensus among Christians is.

Do you know what the Bible says about homosexuality? There is a small section in Leviticus (I think) and it says "Do not lay with your brother". That's about it.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Didn't mean to offend.
I'm quite familiar with what people interpret the Bible to say about homosexuality and I've even hoped some alternative translations might be true.
My point was that without a unifying consensus amongst Christians, one can't speak for all.
I genuinely wish I dealt with more Christians like yourself, but that's not the case.
As you shouldn't be villified by their behavior, they shouldn't be pardoned by yours.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

I am no expert, but human sexuality is probably like any other human trait in that it results from some combination of genetics, environment, and personal choices. The "mix" of what makes a person gay or straight may vary from person to person.

One person's homosexuality could be 99% genetic and 1% from having taken home-ec in high school. One person's heterosexuality could be 50% genetic, 40% from a relgious upbringing, and 10% from making a decision not to "experiment with sex." Another person bisexuality can be 20% genetic, 40% resulting from parents who encouraged that person to be adventurous, and 40% from the person choosing to give everything in life a try just once.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

He said heterosexual, that means straight, not homosexual. I got that Mr. incomprehensive reader. Like you (meaning heterosexual), I am who I am (gay). Geeze get an education.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by brilab45]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

I'm not offended, no worries. I understand what you mean. Christians, just like all other groups of people, will never agree on everything. Even if, for example, scientists were to discover that being a homosexual was somehow genetic, a lot of people, including Christians, would still disagree with they had to say.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Hold on now, chill out. I misread your post, it was worded confusingly to me, and I apologize. No need to get hostile.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Hold on now, chill out. I misread your post, it was worded confusingly to me, and I apologize. No need to get hostile.

I misread it the first time too.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
No grudges held. Sorry for not be being more gayforaward. LOL. Anyhow, I was appreciative of the comment made of a member that made sense. I did not at all inferrence that he was gay. I am. I"m sill flustered by the sensitivity by peoples sexuality. Its such a small part of life. Why do we scope in on such trivialities?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join