It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet

news.yahoo.com

President Barack Obama set a lofty next goal this week for Americans in space: Visiting an asteroid by 2025. But reaching a space rock in a mere 15 years is a daunting mission, and one that might also carry the ultimate safety of the planet on its shoulders.

"It is probably the hardest thing we can do because the asteroid is not coming on a schedule," NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters late Thursday after Obama announced his space vision.

And when a specific asteroid is eventually selected, the window to launch a spaceship toward it will be much less forgiving than the windo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
some people who commented on this on yahoo.com said that this whole ordeal is a waste of time
but im not so sure either this is a big waste of time or maybe obama has some truly good intentions but then again the next president could up and decide to cancel this project couldnt he/she? this is quite an interesting story though any thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Its funny you should post this, one of my crazy dreams lately involved
the film armaggedon scenario along with US, Russia and last but not least Richard Branson. You think thats weird you wanna hear the others.

They have a secret mission in place now, know of the threat and are all part of some group or organisation bit like NASA but not them.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by jazz10]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Perhaps we should be goin over to that asteroid thats orbiting the moon

I can't wait till we get efficient space travel, because thats when we're going to have a rush of new resources coming into the planet.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Why the need to drill holes and attempt an explosion from far away when the DOD can simply burn/destroy it with a death ray burst from one of those covert keyhole satellites?

I don't get it! Does the "star wars" program still exist or what? Why the need for all this secrecy when the technology is over two decades old?

We pay so many taxes, yet people are kept in the dark.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

Interesting, sounds like the gov knows about Wormwood. Do they want to stop Biblical prophecy?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The more we learn about asteroids, the better we will be able to deflect any coming our way. I'd prefer to go straight to mars than stop off at an asteroid, but there's plenty we can learn from both.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Keyhole satellites were early intelligence-gathering technologlies, far inferior to any suggested possible use for this purpose.

The challenge of this scenario is not going to be solved with any single breakthrough. It will require the coordination of many agencies and will be completely dependent on the technical breakthroughs not yet present. We are, however, coming to grips with what the actual requirements would be to do this job. Still, there are tremendous differences of opinions between those scientists who are working so hard to develop an answer to this problem. The severity of requirments for such a task will keep this beyond our reach for another 10-20 years, if we are lucky.

If any type of scenario develops in the mean time, prepare tp bend over and grab your ankles.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
there is alot we can learn from an asteroid though i think because we have never landed on one, maybe the astrnaughts will bring back som rocks for study or gold! they say that you can find gold and other precious materials in meteorites that fall too earth so who knows.
i just dont think that anything like this is going to happen in our lifetime, i mean im sure we could do it, but the space programs will never get around to it,

and another thing we live in the information age....wheres my jetpack!!!???? lazy scientists......

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaCommando5

if a book told you that your family will die wouldnt you try and stop it?
im not critisizing you just throwin that out there as a "wat if it was you?" question

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Its a way to distract us, and cover their tracks so they can do things in the open and make their preparations and observations out in plain sight, not for our benefit however. Its a good cover story, is all I feel this is. Their plans are in plain site at the Colorado Denver Airport.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

the colorado denver airport? are you saying we should be on the lookout for a false flag/terrorist attack?
i hope not 9/11 was bad enough

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
Keyhole satellites were early intelligence-gathering technologlies, far inferior to any suggested possible use for this purpose.

The challenge of this scenario is not going to be solved with any single breakthrough. It will require the coordination of many agencies and will be completely dependent on the technical breakthroughs not yet present. We are, however, coming to grips with what the actual requirements would be to do this job. Still, there are tremendous differences of opinions between those scientists who are working so hard to develop an answer to this problem. The severity of requirments for such a task will keep this beyond our reach for another 10-20 years, if we are lucky.

If any type of scenario develops in the mean time, prepare tp bend over and grab your ankles.

I am sorry but I just don't buy your explanation for many reasons. We went to the moon from 1969 to 1972(40 years ago) yet we still don't have the technology to stop meteors heading our way? Come on!

Technology exists for a reason but most of the time its not in the people's favor. All the "science fiction" movies you see on the tube have a basis in real life;there is no way directors and film producers can have such vivid imaginations.

new topics

top topics

join